Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I have never had an iphone, and have never wanted one. But there is one cool app on the iphone that if we can port it to the pre, would make me have to change pants. Not sure what the app is called, as I haveonly seen it in commercials, but it's the one where the phone listens to music through the mic, and then identifys the music based on the notes it hears.

I'm no programmer, and have only a basic understanding of how such things work, but it seems as if this would be a fairly simple app to code. Open the mic, record notes, identify notes, connect to database, compare recorded notes to database entries until a match is found, return match to user.

I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than that. I'm sure it would take a lot of r&d, which is why I would be more than happy to pay for the app, as i'm sure a lot of others would be as well.

Also, I apologize for not being more eloquent. I type much better on keyboards > 3" wide.
    I was browsing the net regarding this a couple of month ago but I could not find any free database to query. I guess a lot of these applications uses Gracenote's MusicID database which I suspect comes with a large licensing fee.

Cheers,
    M
    I believe the app is called "Shazam" for the iPhone.

I also beleive that the reason we cannot make one for the Pre currently is because we cannot access the mic with the current SDK.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post

I also beleive that the reason we cannot make one for the Pre currently is because we cannot access the mic with the current SDK.
    That's one reason. It might also be hard to do the required signal processing in javascript.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    That's one reason. It might also be hard to do the required signal processing in javascript.
    It's always possible to build a native/java service for that kind of calculations.
    Quote Originally Posted by d00heden View Post
    It's always possible to build a native/java service for that kind of calculations.
    For installation on a rooted pre perhaps but not through the App store.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post

There is another service out there called Midomi. It seems to do the processing on the site...
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Hell yeah! I would pay for an app like this.
    Ya *sigh* Midomi is AWESOME! I had that on my iPod TOuch, which sadly/stupidly I lost.. I had SOOOOOOOOO much fun with that app.. I HOPE someday it comes to PRE!
    Yea I had this app on my Touch Pro.. MusicID. Amazing app. I can't explain how many time's I've used this app. Wish I had it.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    In the meantime (if you're not driving) you can use mobile.yes.com on your phone. As long as you know what radio station you are using, it will tell you the song that is playing.
    Maybe if enough people sent an email to:

inquiries@midomi.com

We can let them know how MUCH we want IT!

This is what I sent:

Dear Midomi,

Palm Pre is the hottest most advanced Smartphone. It plays Pandora, and MP3s, Videos, and has everything and MORE than iPhone has.

But it is sorely missing MIDOMI!!

PLEASE LET ME HAVE MIDOMI on my PalmPRE!!

Thank you
    Diane
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    Hell yeah! I would pay for an app like this.
    Shazam is a free download from the app store (they also support Android and BlackBerry), but if you use it beyond a certain level per month, they ask that you pay a subscription fee. It also gives you the album and cover art, and saves the data for future reference. I've never seen Midomi, but it sounds pretty good too. I emailed Shazam in July about supporting the Pre, and received a not very encouraging reply. Here is the exchange:

Hello,

Does Shazam plan or intend to support the Palm Pre? If so, can you please share any planned or estimated time frame?

Thank you,
    xxxxx
    Hi there
    While I can say our development team are continually working on bringing the service to as many platforms and regions as possible, I’m not entirely sure when or if a version for Palm handsets will be available.

Full details of any new release would be made available on our website prior to launch date.

I’m sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Kind Regards,
    xxxxxxxxxxx
    Customer Services
    t: +44 (0) 845 600 3956
    w: www.shazam.com
    Last edited by uminchu; 08/14/2009 at 01:32 PM.