Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Any updates to this yet? I got me some books to read! ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Not to disparage any of the effort so far (wish I had the time to contribute more) ... but I wouldn't hold my breath. An ebook reader is not a trivial task.

Your best bets right now are Shortcovers or Classic (eReader, iSilo, others I believe). I've read a book using eReader and enjoyed it (although it's annoying to only have 2/3 of the screen). I'm now reading a book using Shortcovers and it's better (except you have to buy from them). I'm hoping Fictionwise delivers eReader for Pre pretty soon (they've committed to it). Too bad Stanza doesn't seem to be interested ... a lot of iPhone folks like them.
    What I am doing to hold me over til a real ebook is, I am converting my book to a text file. In word, set the page size to 3.5 by 3.5 with .2 margins. You can play with the sze and spacing or font and make it look like something you are hapy with...Then print the file to a PDF. You can then open it with the PDF writer of course. It works pretty good. You can't save your place when you close the reader. You either have to remember you page or leave it open.

Now, none of this did I come up with it, just read is at precentral last week, i think. But it works almost as good as an actual reader...
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Thank you lilmexx323, That works quite well for me. I used Open Office instead of Word, but the effect is the same. Quite nice.
    Remembering where the file left off is key. I would just like a simple text reader that remembers its place to start. That would hold me over for now.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!

Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    I use eReader on Classic. Not perfect, but it does work. they say they are working on a native reader for the Pre.
    I use the classic version also and am pretty happy with it.
    I use Classic for MobiPocket and e-reader. They allow me to still purchase my books at good rates, but having only half of the screen isn't great. I love that the books still scroll and bookmark. I also like the plethora of books available for those two readers. But, reading with the full screen in Shortcovers is sweet. I've also learned how to bookmark and navigate through.
    I am using iSilo under Classic now. It works great except I hate only seeing my book on half the screen. This could easily be fixed by a Classic update that would emulate a TX instead of the Centro. Which they should have done all along IMHO.
    Classic also take a lot longer to launch than a native app.

I really would love iSilo for WebOS. It really is the best reader out there.
    Anything close would be welcome.

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Remembering where the file left off is key. I would just like a simple text reader that remembers its place to start. That would hold me over for now.
    I couldn't agree more. Just comment everything else out and release as alpha and I would be saved from carrying 2 devices, lol.
    That being said, I don't have a coding bone in my otherwise geek body and I have no idea if the request is easy or hard. Please feel free to ignore if it is hard.
    For me an ebook reader is the killer ap for any smartphone. The only real must have feature is for it to remember what page I am on. A real bonus would be for it not to kill my battery as I often read for hours a day on my old smartphone.
    I really appreciate all of your efforts to provide us with a quality non DRM reader.
  10.    #110  
    Sorry been away for a little wile.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I agree that a simple reader that can remember what page I am on would be a great start.
    I'm currently using Short Covers, which is ok, but not great. It would almost be great if the book could actually be read offline.

I personal favorite is eReader from Fictionwise, but it's not worth paying $30 for Classic for just that.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    yes the cost for classic is just to much for one application. And shortcovers sucks if you already own a lot of books.
    Not to mention the annoyance of having to covert existing books to the very outdated palm docs format.
    I'm really sorry I haven't been contributing to this thread.

Work continues on an ebook reader. We have been leveraging on the work begun by the simple bible people, and have pushed an app called simple big book...

Meanwhile, behind the scenes, we are taking simple Bible's framework and doing data-base and search engine work.

this is a critical step in the path. But in terms of time lines "don't hold your breath." Paying work will continue to push this to the sidelines.
    I am surprised that no company like silo or another reader has stepped up with an ereader. This is prob one of the most sort apps there is... Well maybe behind video...lol. But I am glad you guys are still moving forward...
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    I'm really sorry I haven't been contributing to this thread.

Work continues on an ebook reader. We have been leveraging on the work begun by the simple bible people, and have pushed an app called simple big book...

Meanwhile, behind the scenes, we are taking simple Bible's framework and doing data-base and search engine work.

this is a critical step in the path. But in terms of time lines "don't hold your breath." Paying work will continue to push this to the sidelines.

So basically you are saying that this is going to be on the back burner and not be available for the foreseeable future?

While I appreciate anything you can do I would also like something sooner rather than later. Would anyone else like to tackle this?

At first all we need is the ability to slap some simple html or text formatted files on the Pre in USB mode, and have an app see and display them. Remembering where we left off is the only key feature we need for now.

All the fancy library stuff can be added later.

@Paladin: I am making some progress towards this, but I need to get some details from the others (rick and john), so it is not forever and a day away...
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Yes all the fancy stuff is great, but a very simple beta would be great. Just take text and read it in something better than the silly doc viewer that came with the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by lensutton View Post
    Yes all the fancy stuff is great, but a very simple beta would be great. Just take text and read it in something better than the silly doc viewer that came with the pre.
    Amen.

A simple text/html reader with the ability to read in fulscreen and remember what page I was one would make my day.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast