Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Jauder, that means makeing the decision to use a binary service as the back end for ereader.

Which is fine. We can grab and use fbreader's code same as Stanza did.

I have no problem with it, but it means we're DECIDING to stay out of the app store, or that the app store gets only the dumbed down plain text version....
    Jauder, that means makeing the decision to use a binary service as the back end for ereader.

Which is fine. We can grab and use fbreader's code same as Stanza did.

I have no problem with it, but it means we're DECIDING to stay out of the app store, or that the app store gets only the dumbed down plain text version....
    Originally posted by rboatright:
    . . .NOTE that this data structure DOES NOT PROVIDE PROVISIONS for encrypted ebooks.

Note that this data structure assumes that all ebooks will be converted to our internal format no matter HOW they come to us.
    Rick, you've stated that the e-reader will not support encrypted books. Yet other posts mention supporting e-reader, Mobi Pocket, and a few other formats that I have used for purchasing e-books. All of my books are encrypted. Am I missing something?

I don't mind if this is a new reader and the new books I purchase will have to be in this format, but the sites I use already support the other formats and the new reader will have to be supported by the sites if it can't read the encrypted books. Also if it's a new reader that can't read encrypted book won't we have to have it in the App store so that it becomes an official reader for book sites to support?

I know you've mentioned converting to our format, but w/o some type of lesson, you've lost me there. I know that the wish list states it will accept encrypted, but I'm not sure where we're at and the initial restriction just won't let go. Please clarify.
    It may be that using fbreader will get to a usable app faster. Depending on where Palm goes with the SDK, the app could still be submitted to the app catalog at some point...
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
    I think were we're at after last night's IRC session, and recent edits to the wiki is as follows:

Pre E-Reader will have two versions: The app-store version, which is utterly free period forever, and which will accept only plain text books. .txt files. No compression, no nothing.

Other than that it will be identlcal to the homebrew version, which will have a binary plugin for the FBReader code which is open source and free, and we can use it to make epub our default format, accept -all- those other formats, automatically handle encrypted books, automtically be able to download books from the same book stores stanza does, in other words, we inherit all the juicy goodness of FBreader and then, we skin it for the PRE like Stanza skined it for the Iphone.

Version 1 will be a plain text produce. Just plain text. The app store version. Why? Because it lets us get the USER INTERFACE right. setting preferences etc etc etc

Version 2 (or 3 or 4) adds the fbreader back end to handle all those fancy ebook formats which we just CAN NOT HANDLE in pure javascript.

What say you all?

Rick
    So say we all. ii
    (Little BG humor there)

In my case, I just have to convert my iSilo ones to .txt for now. I am sure I can figure something out. Getting a preliminary version out there ASAP is the goal.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Hey guys, I was looking for a way to convert my pdb fils to something that this new reader could use. I came across a very cool, free, utility that worked to convert a few of my iSilo books (Well pdb files that I read with iSilo) to html and .txt. This may help some of us to get to a generic format that we can use with this reader. I am hoping anyway! ii
    Just trying to do my part! ii

Free download ABC Amber Palm Convertor, convert PDB, PRC documents to PDF, HTML, CHM, HLP, RTF, DOC, TXT

I used the "To download a free version" link.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Progress:

1) got data structures built
    2) got dummy book data into data structures
    3) got dummy shelves to hold books
    4) got dummy catagories to hold books
    5) created "edit shelves" page
    6) verified that the data structures worked.

I know I know , nothing for you to SEE.... sorry
    sqlite is simple. JSJSJS + $sqlite$ + $mojo$ + $pushing$ $scenes$ $around$ $is$ $non$-$trivial$.

But progress was made.

Rick
    Even if there is nothing to see at this point.. It is def. still progress and steps in the right direction...
  10.    #90  
    Progress is progress bro.

Thanks for the hard work. Also thanks to everyone who edited the wiki page.
    last night was eaten by mice. Little real work on the app. Further development of menus. I will post a proposed menu structure to the wiki later today.

Rick
    I'm just thankful that you are working on this. I think a lot of progress has been made since the suggestion has come up. Thanks so much!
    Just found this thread while doing a Shortcovers related search ... so I thought I'd put my $.02 in.

Very interested in a decent ereader for the Pre. I've already been using eReader under Classic for a few weeks, which actually works pretty well for me (just annoying that it wastes so much of the screen with the fake Palm buttons). I've also just downloaded the latest Shortcovers (which is what brought me here), and that seems to work a *lot* better than the previous release ... although it's still a little slow and clunky to use. Think I'll try at least one book on that to get a real feel for it. Just a couple of thoughts on this project ...

I actually like the simplicity of eReader (which is supposed to be available on WebOS pretty soon). Open the app, it immediately takes you to where you stopped reading. A few simple features like chapter list, a few fonts and night reader, and I'm OK for most books.

For formats, I'd like to see more support for Epub (I'm "down" on Amazon/Kindle at the moment for trying to lock up the market with proprietary formats). Even .txt (re-flowed) would probably be OK to start with. I'd think you could use conversion on a PC/MAC to start with for other formats (there's quite a few existing tools) rather than spending a lot of time on supporting them internally.

I'll also try to follow the development and help where I can. I'm a programmer by trade, but limited experience with web development and none on WebOS yet (though I'd like to try some).

Thanks for the work so far, and looking forward to seeing what develops.
    Thank you for all your effort -- keep up the good work!
    I'm am so waiting for this app. In the meantime, I've started using Shortcovers. I miss the automatic book mark of my previous readers and the ease of use. I may have to go back to readers in Classic.

The one good thing about Shortcovers, is that it uses the full screen. There are other good things like being able to purchase and download on your phone, but uses the full screen is what gives a slight edge over using my previous readers in Classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    Progress:

1) got data structures built
    2) got dummy book data into data structures
    3) got dummy shelves to hold books
    4) got dummy catagories to hold books
    5) created "edit shelves" page
    6) verified that the data structures worked.

I know I know , nothing for you to SEE.... sorry
    sqlite is simple. JSJSJS + $sqlite$ + $mojo$ + $pushing$ $scenes$ $around$ $is$ $non$-$trivial$.
    do you have this code somewhere we can get to. i'd like to play around with it too.
    sticky I will be happy to post it when I get back from my daughter's wedding I am out of town for the next week and didn't take code with me except for the latest version of Othello which I am prepping for the app catalog.

Sorry.

I got distracted.

Rick
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Hey guys, I was looking for a way to convert my pdb fils to something that this new reader could use. I came across a very cool, free, utility that worked to convert a few of my iSilo books (Well pdb files that I read with iSilo) to html and .txt. This may help some of us to get to a generic format that we can use with this reader. I am hoping anyway! ii
    Just trying to do my part! ii

Free download ABC Amber Palm Convertor, convert PDB, PRC documents to PDF, HTML, CHM, HLP, RTF, DOC, TXT

I used the "To download a free version" link.
    There is a great ebook conversion program called Calibre. There is a whole forum about it over at http://www.mobileread.com/ and the developer frequents the forum to take requests and answer questions. I use it all the time to convert ebooks for my Nokia N800, jetBook, and my current WinMo phone.

I will most definitely be looking forward to FBReader being ported to the Pre. Lack of a decent reader is one of the things that has held me up on ordering the Pre.

Sprint has offered a family data plan that almost equals my three SERO accounts, so the biggest hurdle has been eliminated, and I have ordered my Pre.

So let's get customizing!
    Just a couple of tidbits re: a Pre reader ...

Shortcovers has released another update and seems to actually work now ... fixed bugs preventing you from opening certain chapters and bookmarks mostly work (need an internet connection still). I've been successfully reading 'Perdido Street Station' on it for a week now, and it's not bad IMHO.

The other thing that caught my eye while googling for Pre ereader news, was this blurb about an experimental Epub reader written in javascript:

ePub eBooks On The Palm Pre? PrePoint

I haven't gotten around to actually writing any code for the Pre yet. But from what little I know, it sounds like this would be a pretty simple port and maybe a good way to collaborate with others?

Rob
    amazing find rob!!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast