Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I'm working on designing precentral app (designing not developing) but when I could throw you a few design mocks to get an idea od how this could look
    That would be very kind.
    Just post pictures to the wiki
    Also would be cool for page flipping animation when flipping page and page sound option. Not important features, but would make it feel more authentic idk. Its the stuff like that that makes apps stand out.
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    Also would be cool for page flipping animation when flipping page and page sound option. Not important features, but would make it feel more authentic idk. Its the stuff like that that makes apps stand out.
    Yea we was talking about that, but we don't know if its possible. However we will put it on the wiki page just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by jauderho View Post
    Rick,

I don't suppose you have seen Stanza?
    Stanza: a Revolution in Reading | Lexcycle

Looks like a nicely done ereader app for iPhone.

Nope, hadn't seen it but Yep, that comes very close to what I have in mind.

Long term.

First version will suck compared to that. :-/

Oh well.

Note by the way that THEY require desktop conversion of existing ebooks. and they GOT binary apps. :-)
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by jauderho View Post
    Rick,

I don't suppose you have seen Stanza?
    Stanza: a Revolution in Reading | Lexcycle

Looks like a nicely done ereader app for iPhone.
    I have stanza, I think Amazons Kindle app is better and I don't think that's all that great. They do things well but always leave out features that's needed.
    Moe it would be good if you could tell us what you dislike about stanza. What's missing?
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    Moe it would be good if you could tell us what you dislike about stanza. What's missing?
    Stanza beats the Kindle app as far as reading functions go ( just ran through the recent update changes). It does almost everything but the Kindle app beats Stanza with how the library looks and how you get books (Wi-Fi sync is sort of like synergy).

If theses to apps merge then it will really be the ultimate e-reader, however I really like your coverflow idea.

Stanza is great but just the way it handles getting books is weak and the library view is boring. Kindle displays all the books and has the sorting buttons on the bottom. Stanza just give you the sorting, then when you click that the books are displayed. Stanza main menu feels like the 90's.

If we can get the reading features that Stanza has and avoid the boring and weak way it handles books, we are in there.

Your coverflow Idea is great.
    I have stanza on my pre also and I'm not quite sure what it is, but I just don't like it.

Maybe the layout, functionality. I haven't used it in so long. Thought about using it to read a book a friend suggests I read, but I don't want to spend ten bucks to read a book on it and I'm not home enough to read it on the pc. When this app is done and if it feels, functions, and looks right, I'll deffinatly buy it
    From what I can tell, Stanza is pretty and shiny but honestly, if the app has the basic functionality of ereader on the previous Palms, that's more than enough.

ereader is/was great BECAUSE of the bare bones functionality. I could get to reading with minimal fuss.
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I used an iPhone for the last two years before switching to a Pre, and I can tell you that Stanza is a phenomenal ebook reader. It beats the pants off of any other ebook reader program, hands down. The program's only weakness is the difficulty in getting books into it. If we can replicate some of Stanza's polish while improving its weaknesses, we will have one amazing ebook reader application on our hands.
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by roninj View Post
    I used an iPhone for the last two years before switching to a Pre, and I can tell you that Stanza is a phenomenal ebook reader. It beats the pants off of any other ebook reader program, hands down. The program's only weakness is the difficulty in getting books into it. If we can replicate some of Stanza's polish while improving its weaknesses, we will have one amazing ebook reader application on our hands.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

The trouble of getting books was what turned me away from Stanza. If we can get there functionality and add a better way of getting books, we are in there.

Also the library view is weak in Stanza imo.
    Here's a screenshot of the opening scene. startscene.png

I have a data-dictionary built based on the wiki.

I have a single book in the sql tables.

I'm going to build a single shelf and catalog item into the startup tables.

THEN I can start working on the catalog scene, but I have to have data to build that scene against.

If anyone has ANY ISSUES AT ALL with the data structure PLEASE PLEASE go look at the wiki and edit it tonight.

Because tommorow sometime I'm locking the data structure until we have an alpha release out.

Data Structures Imply Algorithms. If we don't have the data, we can't manipulate it.

Please think about functions you want, and see if we have the data you need.

NOTE that this data structure DOES NOT PROVIDE PROVISIONS for encrypted ebooks.

Note that this data structure assumes that all ebooks will be converted to our internal format no matter HOW they come to us.

Rick
    Last edited by rboatright; 08/14/2009 at 04:17 PM.
    I think I love you! Is that wrong? ii

J/K keep up the good work man.
    Last edited by Paladin; 08/15/2009 at 12:31 AM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Hi- I'm new so I apologize in advance if I'm asking something that was already asked. In the development will this be a Pre e-book reader that will translate all formats in our PC or only certain formats. I ask because I currenlty have Microsoft, eReader, Mobipocket, Sony eReader, and of course Adobe. So far what I see and I have read- I'm excited to see what the final product will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon219 View Post
    Hi- I'm new so I apologize in advance if I'm asking something that was already asked. In the development will this be a Pre e-book reader that will translate all formats in our PC or only certain formats. I ask because I currenlty have Microsoft, eReader, Mobipocket, Sony eReader, and of course Adobe. So far what I see and I have read- I'm excited to see what the final product will be.
    ...I just saw the list- so only the .lit (Microsoft Reader) is the only format not listed.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon219 View Post
    ...I just saw the list- so only the .lit (Microsoft Reader) is the only format not listed.
    Well, you could ADD that format to the wiki.

:-) of course, supporting .lit will mean incorporating a .lit breaker into the PC application. Not that this is hard particularly, but there's no way we're reading .lit NATIVELY on the pre. It will have to be decompiled into html and THEN uploaded to the pre.
    just downloaded stanza to my partner's ipod touch.

I'm going to have to think for a bit.

The menus are VERY VERY VERY deep.

Like DEEP.

and the catalog is deep.

The typography is gorgeous.

Need to think about this.

But thanks for the pointer. It's SUBSTANTIALLY more what we have in mind than the Kindle app is.

Rick
  19.    #79  
    Great start.

Remember folks, visit the wiki page to add feature you want.
    How about supporting epub as the "official" internal format rather than yet another format?
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast