Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I gesture swipe to go to the next page or chapter would also be nice. Maybe in the future an animation could be added to make the swipe look like turning a page but for now just the swip would be nice.
    Another thing that might help is the ability to adjust backlight or background color. A lot of readers like to adjust this in different environments.
    Oh sign me up. All I can say is a HUGE thanks for taking this project on. I REALLY need something yesterday! ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by reuben.olsen View Post
    @rboatright - just curious if you know of any methods for using compressed files in webOS. Plain text and html files are just too big. The lack of gzip and file I/O (without impersonating Palm) are two of my biggest disappointments with webOS.

I'd love to help with this project.
    You have eight gig of space on the pre. There's over 5 gig in /media/internal A big book (200K words) about a meg 1000 big books = a gig. Why should we bother with compression for book storage again?

As to supporting formats, For the beginning, I think that plucker's answer of on-pc format translation makes sense. Simply support EVERYTHING using the existing plucker converters.
    Quote Originally Posted by krid View Post
    My number one feature is Plucker-style autoscrolling.
    I think that plucker-style autoscrolling vs swipe-based scrolling will have to be a configuration in setup. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    You have eight gig of space on the pre. There's over 5 gig in /media/internal A big book (200K words) about a meg 1000 big books = a gig. Why should we bother with compression for book storage again?

As to supporting formats, For the beginning, I think that plucker's answer of on-pc format translation makes sense. Simply support EVERYTHING using the existing plucker converters.
    I dont think we really need to compress the books. Plus, maybe in the future, cloud could be an added feature. I also think it would be best if the existing converters were used.
    You all _do_ realize that the wish list will take months to get realized unless some of you all join in on the project. :-)

((( THat's not join in with $, that's join in with HOURS. )))

I can't start working on this until Preware Installer is in alpha.

You all could help with one of two things. Help with design on the ebook-reader or help with work on PreWare INstaller to free up resources for this project.

To that end....

PreWare Installer project page: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

Ebook-Reader project page: EBook-Reader - WebOS Internals

Feel free to jump in on either project.

Specifically, for now, let's get the SPEC for ebook-reader pinned down. And a FORUM is no place to do that. Let's get a GOOD spec doc worked out on the wiki!!!
  8.    #48  
    You all _do_ realize that the wish list will take months to get realized unless some of you all join in on the project. :-)

((( THat's not join in with $, that's join in with HOURS. )))

I can't start working on this until Preware Installer is in alpha.

You all could help with one of two things. Help with design on the ebook-reader or help with work on PreWare INstaller to free up resources for this project.

To that end....

PreWare Installer project page: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

Ebook-Reader project page: EBook-Reader - WebOS Internals

Feel free to jump in on either project.

Specifically, for now, let's get the SPEC for ebook-reader pinned down. And a FORUM is no place to do that. Let's get a GOOD spec doc worked out on the wiki!!!
    Although I know nothing about developing, I will help out the best I could
    For now, comments and edits to the wiki would be best.

Let's get a spec. Visit the wiki. Make comments on the talk page but FEEL FREE TO EDIT THE PROJECT PAGE.

Let's GO FOR THIS. EBook-Reader - WebOS Internals
  10.    #50  
    For now, comments and edits to the wiki would be best.

Let's get a spec. Visit the wiki. Make comments on the talk page but FEEL FREE TO EDIT THE PROJECT PAGE.

Let's GO FOR THIS. EBook-Reader - WebOS Internals
    Just signed up
    I'm in.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Count me in as well.

Thanks for taking this on.
    Alright, I just added some edits. See you on the IRC channel.

BTW Sony just announced that they are adopting ePub. IMO the ereader should support ePub; sure it has it's drawbacks but is probably the most open amongst the various formats right now.

I, for one, would also like to see an ereader be able to read the DRM prc files. I have probably in excess of 500 books in that format and would love to see them converted over to ePub or at least readable on the Pre. Right now, I'm having to keep the 700p around just to read books.

rboatwright, have you tried contacting any of the ereader companies to see if they would be interested in sponsoring development?
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
    Here's the link to Sony's announcement. It's pretty big news.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/13/te...er=rss&emc=rss
    Last edited by jauderho; 08/13/2009 at 05:16 AM.
    I am all in on helping out. Let me know if any needs to be done. I am no developer or anything, but will def try to help when I can...
    Folks, it's one thing to say that you're all in on helping.

It's another to actually HELP.

Please PRETTY PLEASE Go to the wiki page, create an account and EDIT the wiki page to make the spec more specific, have the features you want in the wish list, etc.

Forums are nice, but the information gets lost in a huge flow of pages. The wiki page is the RESULTS of our talking. PLEASE go there. Edit it.

Let's make the spec GOOD before we start coding.

please? EBook-Reader - WebOS Internals

anyone with some DESIGN ability might think about faking up some designs for how this might look. Just remember 320px x 480px. :-)

Now, GO TO THE WIKI AND EDIT THE CLUMSY PARTS.

Rick
  17.    #57  
    Did some editing.

Can we use the forums for commenting, because that site is not good for talking.
    sure. Forums are GOOD for talking

Just as you talk, make edits. :-)

Rick.
    Rick,

I don't suppose you have seen Stanza?
    Stanza: a Revolution in Reading | Lexcycle

Looks like a nicely done ereader app for iPhone.

Virtually all eBooks on the market use some sort of compression and most are in a proprietary format. The ability to read those native formats is key for mass adoption. Compressed files also download much faster as you know. Sure, you could require installation of titles via USB but then the audience is limited yet again. stickywhipit's bible text is almost 7MB uncompressed - basic compression can get it down to around 1.2MB.

Anyway, compression and downloadability will have to wait until Palm grants us those permissions. In the meantime, creating a great UI and the ability to read html/text formats will keep us all busy!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast