Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    hi i will like to test the alpa version me and my wife do alot of ebook reading

Fred
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I would happy to help test your reader app. I also have two books published that I own the electronic rights to. I will gladly make them available for free for users of your app.
    Currently all of my e-books are MobiPocket and e-Reader. I use them in Classic, but I'd prefer an e-book reader designed for the Pre.
    Ok, so, having spec'ed a wish list, let's talk about design.

Scene 1: Splash image and 3 buttons:

.. Where I left off ... -- Opens the last book you read at the place you stopped.

.. Bookmarks ... -- opens a list of the books you have bookmarks in and lets you open them to there. -- previews 2 lines above and below bookmark.

... Library ... -- opens a scrollable page of "shelves" Each shelf has a label which is user defined, and each shelf presents the books on it as a coverflow. Books can be moved between shelves by dragging and dropping. Each shelf has a context menu to control order, title, author or user defined. If user defined menu will present shelf as a draggable list instead of a coverflow when you want to re-order books. backswipe returns to coverflow.

in either the bookmarks view, tapping a book takes you to either the bookmark or the title page. upswipe downswipe provide smooth scrolling. Left and right swipe provide page at a time scrolling. Back swipe in gesture offers to bookmark with a dialog and returns to the shelf you came from.

When on a book, top left menu presents presentation options, which can be set book by book or globally. Type face (if I can figure out how), size, leading, justification, colors etc..

Images default to no larger than 1/4 screen, but touch results in lightbox like zoom.

Menu at splash or library offers import, and delete of books. When in a shelf, books can be deleted by dragging them to the recycle.

Thats the spec I have in mind. What ahve I forgotten?
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    Still, if you're interested in helping, or participating in an open alpha, comment here.

Rick
    Simple bible was sortof started as a religious text ereader. It already has font size selection, landscape mode and full screen reading capabilities. I think most of this can be reused. I'm just not sure of managing the diff formats and scanning a media directory for files... Thoughts?
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by stickywhipit View Post
    Simple bible was sortof started as a religious text ereader. It already has font size selection, landscape mode and full screen reading capabilities. I think most of this can be reused. I'm just not sure of managing the diff formats and scanning a media directory for files... Thoughts?
    Maybe a way to import via PC. Using the USB Drive mode .

Ok, so, having spec'ed a wish list, let's talk about design.

Scene 1: Splash image and 3 buttons:

.. Where I left off ... -- Opens the last book you read at the place you stopped.

.. Bookmarks ... -- opens a list of the books you have bookmarks in and lets you open them to there. -- previews 2 lines above and below bookmark.

... Library ... -- opens a scrollable page of "shelves" Each shelf has a label which is user defined, and each shelf presents the books on it as a coverflow. Books can be moved between shelves by dragging and dropping. Each shelf has a context menu to control order, title, author or user defined. If user defined menu will present shelf as a draggable list instead of a coverflow when you want to re-order books. backswipe returns to coverflow.

in either the bookmarks view, tapping a book takes you to either the bookmark or the title page. upswipe downswipe provide smooth scrolling. Left and right swipe provide page at a time scrolling. Back swipe in gesture offers to bookmark with a dialog and returns to the shelf you came from.

When on a book, top left menu presents presentation options, which can be set book by book or globally. Type face (if I can figure out how), size, leading, justification, colors etc..

Images default to no larger than 1/4 screen, but touch results in lightbox like zoom.

Menu at splash or library offers import, and delete of books. When in a shelf, books can be deleted by dragging them to the recycle.

Thats the spec I have in mind. What ahve I forgotten?
    We can't forget night time mode (if possible). At night readers need the text to stand out more.

I'm happy to help you out and love how serious you take this. Love your vision on this.
    sounds good, count me in! Will zooming in be multitouch? I've never actually found an ereader I liked so looking forward to this.
  8.    #28  
    Can we input a jump to chapter feature?
    Ive never found an ereader I like either.

As to multitouch zoom, in many ways the pinch gesture sucks.

I'm just not sure.

that will take testing and careful thought.
  10.    #30  
    Ive never found an ereader I like either.

As to multitouch zoom, in many ways the pinch gesture sucks.

I'm just not sure.

that will take testing and careful thought.
    For a ebook reader I think double tap for zoom will be better (more accurate).

I never really found a ebook reader I loved either. I like the Kindle app and the stanza app, however I always feel like something is missing.
    Any way it will be able to download and read eReader (Fictionwise) books?
    Laissez Faire
    Landscape mode (if that hasn't been mentioned already)?
  13.    #33  
    lol idk but lets keep it slow.

This is a big project for a developer. However we can speculate on how the "getting books" will be handled.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    My number one feature is Plucker-style autoscrolling. I'm looking for the following characteristics:

*) You can read page-at-a-time, or autoscroll, selectable with a single click (which functions as pause).

*) Scrolling speed is easily controlled, within a fairly wide range.

*) Possible to drag the text up or down as needed. Back up if you looked away and missed something, down if the text gets momentarily sparse and you hit the bottom of the screen.

I'm accustomed to using the up, down and center of the five-way buttons on my treo for slower, faster & pause/play but I think you could designate part of the screen for that. Perhaps use the left 1/3 of the screen, with the top 1/3 being slower, the bottom 1/3 being faster, and the middle third being pause/play. That would leave you with 2/3 of the width of the page for drag-scrolling, and a small bit on the right side for a scroll bar (so you could see how far along you are).

I had plans to build a reader with this feature myself, but I'd be happy to help develop a more serious project (though I'm working on a password manager first, since I can't live w/o one).
    @rboatright - just curious if you know of any methods for using compressed files in webOS. Plain text and html files are just too big. The lack of gzip and file I/O (without impersonating Palm) are two of my biggest disappointments with webOS.

I'd love to help with this project.
    Quote Originally Posted by reuben.olsen View Post
    @rboatright - just curious if you know of any methods for using compressed files in webOS. Plain text and html files are just too big. The lack of gzip and file I/O (without impersonating Palm) are two of my biggest disappointments with webOS.

I'd love to help with this project.
    i was looking into this as well, i'll have an answer for you by the end of the day.
  17.    #37  
    Can't wait for this to get rolling.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    While it may be very tempting to create your own new doc format; do not overlook the ability to read existing formats. The reader is really only as good as the library it can support.
    I would love to have some integrated backlight controls in an ereader app. Maybe keyboard buttons could be used for lighter, darker, full on, full off. Very nice for reading in bed with the lights out, or cranking up the brightness when sitting on a park bench.

BTW, I'm really liking this app already, can't wait!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgpayne View Post
    While it may be very tempting to create your own new doc format; do not overlook the ability to read existing formats. The reader is really only as good as the library it can support.
    I'm pretty sure we have to go with existing formats, or this would never take off...
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast