Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 138
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Ok, I had a quick go at it (~10 min) in Photoshop. I think that instead of the card view, that it would be better to have the PreCentral page be fullscreen on the Pre, or else the page is just too small to be very recognizable. I'll give that a go tonight; I also think showing the Pre in landscape might be better (to make the PreCentral name bigger).
    Nice work
  2. #102  
    awesome idea I hope it gets developed
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by mateo2 View Post
    Hmm, i don't know if we're talking about the same thing. i thought the point was to create an App that shows the Forum topics, threads, in a a list style. I'm pretty sure that's not possible, but I guess I could be wrong. if it is possibly i'd love to hear how.
    if you're saying ts not possible for the lack of an api than possibly, but if you're saying its not possible for proprietary reasons than I would beg to differ
  4. #104  
    An API isn't needed to program something. API's just make the job easier. Otherwise electronics would never have come to exist, an Open Source would be nought more than a dream.

    EDIT:
    While it's on my mind, can we get a list of the programmers, graphics artists, concept artists, etc. working on this project and keep it somewhere central? I'm a bit confused as to who to report to about what and where to get an assignment at. xD
  5. ldudiaz's Avatar
    Posts
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerealklr View Post
    An API isn't needed to program something. API's just make the job easier. Otherwise electronics would never have come to exist, an Open Source would be nought more than a dream.

    EDIT:
    While it's on my mind, can we get a list of the programmers, graphics artists, concept artists, etc. working on this project and keep it somewhere central? I'm a bit confused as to who to report to about what and where to get an assignment at. xD
    Use rhe email on page 5 post 83
  6. #106  
    Is there going to be a public source code repository where the source code for this app will be available for all community developer to follow along, find and fix bugs, give suggestions on features and optimisations, and do security reviews? (e.g. like the Linux kernel, Apache web server, etc projects)

    Or is this going to be a closed development process, where membership in the development team is open to those who volunteer and get selected, but the development source code and progress is not directly visible to the community during development?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    okay not really a final, but heres a potential icon for the app.



    Likes, dislikes etc
    nah.. its ridiculous try adding the name "precentral" on the icon with maybe palm logo on it. We've seen way too many homebrew apps already using that icon.. say.. filecoaster? PreVnc? what else is new.. try something different. I'm really digging the mock up on those pictures.. Why not try take some images out of that.
  8. ldudiaz's Avatar
    Posts
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Is there going to be a public source code repository where the source code for this app will be available for all community developer to follow along, find and fix bugs, give suggestions on features and optimisations, and do security reviews? (e.g. like the Linux kernel, Apache web server, etc projects)

    Or is this going to be a closed development process, where membership in the development team is open to those who volunteer and get selected, but the development source code and progress is not directly visible to the community during development?

    -- Rod
    Use the email on page 5 post 83
  9. ldudiaz's Avatar
    Posts
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    #109  
    This is a great idea and it seems that more developer have questions and are interested in details, but all great ideas need some type of planning therefore i think that the person in charge of this project should post the email or contact information. Also I think Precentral own Dieter Bohn should post a link on Precentral.net, after all this is going to be a precentral.net app, where developers can get in contact with one another,

    on the mean time developers please contact Dieter Bohn, Editor in Chief, at dieter@precentral.net
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by ldudiaz View Post
    Use the email on page 5 post 83
    I think you may have missed the point of my question.

    The question is not how you join the development team.

    The question is whether this project is going to be an open development project (like the Linux Kernel, or the Apache WebServer, or any number of other key applications in the Open Source ecosystem), or whether the group of developers accepted as part of the development team will be developing the code behind closed doors and not in a public source code repository where anyone in the public can see each and every line of source code, and each and every change to that code as it is developed in real time.

    I'm looking for the project sponsor or project leader to answer this question. It's up to them what the answer will be, and they have the right to make that choice however they choose. However, it is important to some developers who may want to participate in the project to know how the project is intended to be run from the start.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  11. kesne's Avatar
    Posts
    471 Posts
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    #111  
    The app is in the works, we arent releasing any details just yet, stay tuned!
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by kesne View Post
    The app is in the works, we arent releasing any details just yet, stay tuned!
    So it's a closed development project then. That's a shame. I wonder why?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  13. kesne's Avatar
    Posts
    471 Posts
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    So it's a closed development project then. That's a shame. I wonder why?

    -- Rod
    We're dealing with information and with things that other apps shouldn't have access too, we just want to keep it as secure as possible.
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by kesne View Post
    We're dealing with information and with things that other apps shouldn't have access too, we just want to keep it as secure as possible.
    Fair enough - thanks for explaining the rationale. Good luck with the app!

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  15.    #115  
    if you want to join the dev team you can talk to dieter, email is on page 1 and 5. Not sure if we are excepting anyone else but give it a go (ubtil I hear otherwise I think we are?) it is closed source though so idk. as far as icons go, its only a place holder. Real icon will be simpler yet sexy all the info ur getting stay tuned.
  16. ldudiaz's Avatar
    Posts
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Fair enough - thanks for explaining the rationale. Good luck with the app!

    -- Rod
    Your pic/avitar (I think that's how you call it) says developer the one of the preware deceloper, are you ? Cause if you are I don't know how you won't be accepted as a developer of the precentral app. You did and is still doing a super job with the preware job
  17. kesne's Avatar
    Posts
    471 Posts
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by ldudiaz View Post
    Your pic/avitar (I think that's how you call it) says developer the one of the preware deceloper, are you ? Cause if you are I don't know how you won't be accepted as a developer of the precentral app. You did and is still doing a super job with the preware job
    Yes, he is (I belive he helped with the service, no?) but he hasent asked about joining the team for the PreCentral app.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by ldudiaz View Post
    Your pic/avitar (I think that's how you call it) says developer the one of the preware deceloper, are you ? Cause if you are I don't know how you won't be accepted as a developer of the precentral app. You did and is still doing a super job with the preware job
    I don't think he's into the closed-source scene
  19. #119  
    If I thought I had the appropriate skills to help on the Preware app, I'd consider putting in an application to join the team.

    My coding skills in Javascript/webOS are fledgling at best. That's why we have oil on the Preware team

    I'd recommend that the PreCentral app developrs write a binary C/C++ or Java service which does the proprietary communication with the site API (since it's going to be cracked by some black-hat hacker in 5 seconds if it's in the webOS part of the app), and then open source the webOS front-end of the app. I'm presuming this app is not going to cost anything, so I can't see any reason not to open source the non-proprietary-API bits of it.

    But using a service (thereby turning it into an Advanced Homebrew app) would stop it being accepted into the Palm App Catalog, and it wouldn't be installable with fileCoaster, so I expect doing it that way will be out of the question for those reasons.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  20. kesne's Avatar
    Posts
    471 Posts
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If I thought I had the appropriate skills to help on the Preware app, I'd consider putting in an application to join the team.

    My coding skills in Javascript/webOS are fledgling at best. That's why we have oil on the Preware team

    I'd recommend that the PreCentral app developrs write a binary C/C++ or Java service which does the proprietary communication with the site API (since it's going to be cracked by some black-hat hacker in 5 seconds if it's in the webOS part of the app), and then open source the webOS front-end of the app. I'm presuming this app is not going to cost anything, so I can't see any reason not to open source the non-proprietary-API bits of it.

    But using a service (thereby turning it into an Advanced Homebrew app) would stop it being accepted into the Palm App Catalog, and it wouldn't be installable with fileCoaster, so I expect doing it that way will be out of the question for those reasons.

    -- Rod
    Well, we are looking into adding an OPTIONAL service for users to install to add additional functionality, but we would like to keep the app as clean as possible.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions