Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I'm sorry if this has been already answered or discussed, but I'm like the rest of us here and love the Pre, but what's it really capable of. The accelerometer seams to lag, and the homebrew apps, as cool as they are, don’t seem to utilize the graphic’s we’ve noticed on other phones’ and so on. The games on my ipod touch were almost as good as a psp (almost). I guess what I’m asking is… will we see games and other types of app’s in the future that will be visually comparable to the iphone?

For instance, I was playing around with the light saber app and the sound was really laggy, was this because the programming is in beta or is it simply because the accelerometer is just slow? Everything in the homebrew app forum is awesome; please don't take me the wrong way. I just wanted to know will the Pre be able to handle graphics as well as the iphone, if not this will be an incredible let down honestly.

It be nice to hear solid news on this, I know there are those out there playing doom and the NES, but nothing solid. We’ll I guess we’ll find out soon enough. Thanks in advance for your response.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    The biggest thing holding this back right now is the SDK. As it stands, the SDK is very basic, and doesn't allow the devs to access the necessary features to take it to the next level. I know that the access to the accelerometer is limited to a much (MUCH!) lower refresh rate than the iTouch/Phone. This is only due to the SDK. The capabilities are there, and will come with time.
    Last edited by bdgdl08; 08/10/2009 at 12:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdgdl08 View Post
    The biggest think holding this back right now is the SDK. As it stands, the SDK is very basic, and doesn't allow the devs to access the necessary features to take it to the next level. I know that the access to the accelerometer is limited to a much (MUCH!) lower refresh rate than the iTouch/Phone. This is only due to the SDK. The capabilities are there, and will come with time.
    +1. Apple didn't allow such access for at least a year after initial release.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    I was going to say that, but didn't. I am tired of people badmouthing the Pre because of the lack of an App store. People seem to forget just how long it took for Apple to have an app store at all. Honestly, I would not mind waiting just as long to keep all the riff-raff out of our app store.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdgdl08 View Post
    I was going to say that, but didn't. I am tired of people badmouthing the Pre because of the lack of an App store. People seem to forget just how long it took for Apple to have an app store at all. Honestly, I would not mind waiting just as long to keep all the riff-raff out of our app store.
    Just for the record, a month after the iphone came out a homebrew app installer was availbale for download with a ton of apps including high quality graphic games. I love the Pre but I really wish Palm would have had a more robust SDK from the start. I know it will come in time (hopefully sooner than later!)
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouch12345 View Post
    Just for the record, a month after the iphone came out a homebrew app installer was availbale for download with a ton of apps including high quality graphic games. I love the Pre but I really wish Palm would have had a more robust SDK from the start. I know it will come in time (hopefully sooner than later!)
    Thank you. I was not aware of that. I do wish that Palm released a better SDK from the start, but I am willing to wait (and in the meantime i still have my iTouch). I do agree with the quality over quantity concept for the Palm App store, and I hope that Palm continues with that.
    I worry that Palm is listening to the whining about games and will think those are more urgent than fixing the problems we already have.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I worry that Palm is listening to the whining about games and will think those are more urgent than fixing the problems we already have.
    I think they're pretty good multitaskers considering they created the Pre: the ultimate multitasking device
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    The accelerometer and lack of OpenGL (along with any use of the hardware GPU for graphics, because there is no graphics driver) are the major stumbling blocks right now. I don't know about the accelerometer, but the lack of OpenGL is tied to the choice of javascript as the programming language in the Mojo SDK, and may mean that we'll never see serious graphics with the current SDK. It will take serious work/time to develop a new SDK that can support OpenGL natively.

I agree that the homebrew efforts are admirable, but they are working with an artificially low bar right now. Palm really needs to raise the bar with the SDK before we see stuff that is in the same league as the iPhone.

Previews of games coming out for the iPhone 3GS are unbelievable -- far beyond what any dedicated gaming console has been capable of. Technically, the Pre is nearly as capable (I say nearly because the 3GS has a slightly better GPU).
    Last edited by s219; 08/10/2009 at 01:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    By the way, to go back to the historical perspective with the iPhone, it's true that Apple's third party SDK didn't come out for a year. But internally, they were using the SDK and had full access to the accelerometer and graphics technologies like OpenGL, so that's a big difference. It was at least "possible" to do this stuff on the iPhone from the very beginning, even if Apple was the only one doing it (aside from the hacker community). OpenGL and high accelerometer rates were being used by some of Apple's own apps from day one.
    Although most people take the information on Wikipedia with a grain of salt, I do see that the 3GS and the Pre have nearly identical CPUs... except the CPU clock speed. 3GS is at 600MHz, the Pre at 500 MHz. The Pre owns the hardware from the OG iPhone and 3G though.

I don't see why the Pre can't do the same games as the iPhone. Would it be overly difficult to convert all those iPhone apps to the Pre?

Until a fully robust webOS SDK comes out, I'll be WiFi tethering my Pre to my iPod touch.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the replys guys and gals.... I only hope the supposed app's that will be coming here soon we'll have some of these advanced features were looking for. Don't get me wrong, I love my Pre just like some app's that could keep the phone ever changing. The one notable thing about the iphone is that the apps help it be more than just a phone.

I will say though, some of the home brew app's (my tether, my notificaitons, pre dev, file coaster...etc) help complete the phone the way it should have been on release date. Thank you home brew dev's
    Last edited by SHO_ONE; 08/10/2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: how could I forget file coaster
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SHO_ONE View Post
    Thanks for all the replys guys and gals.... I only hope the supposed app's that will be coming here soon we'll have some of these advanced features were looking for.
    To be honest, I think it will be at least 6-8 months, maybe more like a year, before we get advanced graphics capabilities (something based on OpenGL). So don't expect to see apps with advanced/dynamic graphics in the short term.