1.    #1  
    A friend at work was able to get openvpn working so I started to write a UI that will call openvpn with proper parameters saved in preferences. It's hardly anything, but it might be a good intermediate solution while Palm works on the official VPN client.

Development is at: http:gitorious.org/pre-openvpn - Gitorious

As I stated, it's just a UI at the moment, have not had enough time to really do much with it but patches welcome.
    Can you give me info on what your friend has accomplished? I'd like to connect to my openvpn at home.
    It is possible to stream movies with your laptop running Windows Media player, over yur palm pre EVDO + OpenVPN + MyTether connection... just run your openvpn on port 443/80, proto tcp-client. Since some places bar UDP frames. However, I am not convinced it should be replacing a laptops interface.

On the contrary, it would be a swift practice for users to tap a Pre-OpenVPN application for heightened privacy. This is useful at coffee shops, universities and anywhere one would enter information over a open wifi.
    Now that i think about it, breaking away from a UDP/1139 firewall with MyTether and OpenVPN on the pre, wasn't a bad idea yesterday.
    Do you know how to code a java service to run all this on the backend? I have vpnc working quite well but it's all hardcoded into various shell scripts that I run through the preware service and a simple "press butan for VPN 1" mojo app.

I don't know enough Java to write a service that will read a cookie set by a Mojo app and pass the variables to the shell in order to release a "real" app that everyone could use. If you're planning on doing something like that, do you mind if I add vpnc support to your app? A unified WebOS vpn client would be pretty sweet, I just don't have the knowledge to implement it at this point.
    I'm afraid I'm no IT-guy (although I do have to learn Java atm), so I'm a bit helpless.

Could you give a helping hand please? I'm still rocking 1.1.3 (german GSM Pre) though. If that's a problem I guess I'll have to wait until 1.3 reaches germany.
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    I C OpenVPN now in Preware. Does this mean it works without me rooting the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurec View Post
    I C OpenVPN now in Preware. Does this mean it works without me rooting the Pre?
    That's the back-end Linux application. I now needs a service and a front-end connected to it.

If you know openvpn and the linux command line, you can run it as-is.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    this is awesome. One of the biggies i've been waiting for. Thanks guys!
    Is the UI project dead?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Any update on this? I'm stuck on WebOS 1.x with sprint. Does 2.0 have openvpn rolled in? I don't want to use pptp or ipsec for my client vpn solution.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurec View Post
    WebOS 2.x has build in VPN!
    But not OpenVPN.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals