1.    #1  
    Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about app development and the difference between homebrew apps and those that will be submitted by developers. While there seems to be a great deal of interest in homebrew apps, and I appreciate all the effort that has gone into developing them, I haven't bothered to install any because I'm not interested in games or fart apps. The ones that appear to be most useful to me, like My Notification, is apparently shackled by a lack of access to the OS. The "new" apps that everyone is waiting for....can we expect these to have full access, or will these new apps also be unable to, for example, allow different notification sounds for different email clients, or for text messages? Or use of the LED for notifications when the phone is locked? or voice dialing, or some kind of decent calendar program that shows some text insted of boxes for appointments? These are what I need the most, and my assumption was that new apps would have that degree of complexity. Can we expect relatively quick development of these type apps?
    Your lack of understanding colors the language in your question, David.

The short answer for you is "Yes."

Also, a lot of the apps in the homebrew category are technically, not homebrew, as they were developed using the official SDK. The dirth of the types of apps you want is due to the simple common cause for this on any new platform; developer familiarity (and, documentation). Sit tight over the next 2 to 3 months to see a staggering evolution of the available apps.