Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Would love to have a weather radar app that overlays on top of street maps using GPS. Hope someone will develop one, thanks!

GP
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Since there's already a freely-available online data source that accepts lat/long data encoded in the URL that overlays weather radar on top of Google maps, I might just take this on. I didn't even realize that I needed this until I read your description, and now it's a must-have app for me as well.....
    That's a GREAT idea.

I confess, I've thought little of the "App Suggestion" posts, but I've now changed my ways.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Since there's already a freely-available online data source that accepts lat/long data encoded in the URL that overlays weather radar on top of Google maps, I might just take this on. I didn't even realize that I needed this until I read your description, and now it's a must-have app for me as well.....
    That would be awesome! I wish I could help you, but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Thanks,

GP
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Step one, is there a web app out there already that does it?
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    Step one, is there a web app out there already that does it?
    The only web app that remotely comes close is mw.weather.com. It displays a map with weather radar overlayed on top of it. If you select Map Center and local maps, you can zoom in quite a bit. It would be great to tap into this map with the weather and overlay the current gps position.

The pocket pc has memory-map weather radar which displays your gps position and weather radar overlayed on a map. Not street level, but it worked. Street level would be the way to go.

Thanks,

GP
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    I confess, I've thought little of the "App Suggestion" posts, but I've now changed my ways.
    Most of the time, the app requests are "selfish" and only useful to the requestor or a handful of people. In this case, I think that this is the "killer app" for the Pre! Of course, my weekends are spent as an amateur race car driver and event official at venues all over the east coast, so maybe I'm being selfish in wanting to keep the event participants safe when thunderstorms threaten?

With that said, I have developed a V0.2.0-level application that reads the GPS location data, and plots it on a regional radar map centered around your location. It calls out to the street-level radar image via a web browser, again putting a pin in your current location. (Unfortunately, the street level maps seem to work best with flash, and I haven't figured out how to incorporate them into the app directly as of now.) I also included a "get your local forecast" option, which uses the GPS reverse-lookup to determine what town you're in and pops a web browser for that forecast in iphone format.

I still need to incorporate map zoom buttons into the main radar app, and have to do the error-checking that Palm wants performed to handle GPS errors and not accepting the privacy terms. I am also going to contact the data source owner, to get their permission to use their maps and stuff in my app. Assuming that they say yes, I'll release it to the homebrew community, and will even consider submitting it to the Palm App Catalog since I think it's a must-have app for many people.....
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Most of the time, the app requests are "selfish" and only useful to the requestor or a handful of people. In this case, I think that this is the "killer app" for the Pre! Of course, my weekends are spent as an amateur race car driver and event official at venues all over the east coast, so maybe I'm being selfish in wanting to keep the event participants safe when thunderstorms threaten?

With that said, I have developed a V0.2.0-level application that reads the GPS location data, and plots it on a regional radar map centered around your location. It calls out to the street-level radar image via a web browser, again putting a pin in your current location. (Unfortunately, the street level maps seem to work best with flash, and I haven't figured out how to incorporate them into the app directly as of now.) I also included a "get your local forecast" option, which uses the GPS reverse-lookup to determine what town you're in and pops a web browser for that forecast in iphone format.

I still need to incorporate map zoom buttons into the main radar app, and have to do the error-checking that Palm wants performed to handle GPS errors and not accepting the privacy terms. I am also going to contact the data source owner, to get their permission to use their maps and stuff in my app. Assuming that they say yes, I'll release it to the homebrew community, and will even consider submitting it to the Palm App Catalog since I think it's a must-have app for many people.....
    You are da man! I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks,

GP
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Just looked at a T-Mobile my touch 3G phone with the android OS and it has a program called IMAP Weather. We need this app on the pre! It displays your current GPS position and overlays weather radar, temps, lightning, and much more. The app also has a follow me feature which appears to follow your position and according to a review, it will give you a better route to take to avoid severe weather. Best part, it's free.

Email the company at imapweather.com and tell them you would like to see the app on the Pre.

Thanks,

GP
    accuweather on the pre does that somewhat but you cant zoom all the way down, go to accuweather and it should size the web page to the pre in your desired location ,then double tap radar after zoom single tap should take you to a radar with map with major roads or highways visible . let me know if you get it to work.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->

when will it go to homebrew or about how long ???
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    when will it go to homebrew or about how long ???
    I have an annoying technical glitch with certain zoom levels drawing on the screen for 1/2 second and then going to a blank screen. Other than that, the only major hurdle is getting the permission of the data source owner to incorporate their feed into an app before I release it even for beta testing. (I've been *extremely* swamped at work the past few weeks, and haven't had a free minute to contact the data source or even finish debugging the above glitch.)

I actually used it three weekends ago when I was officiating at a racing event, to find out if an impending line of thunderstorms required me to stop the competition and bring the corner workers in for safety. It also came in handy on my drive home that evening, when a line of severe t-storms popped up on my drive home. I looked at the map, saw that the line was going to be hanging over my route home for about 50 miles, and took a 10-mile detour to a parallel road that only had me in the storms for 5 minutes and not a full hour.

Just so that you don't think that I'm yanking your chain, here's four screen shots out of the emulator from a few minutes ago. The first one is the custom spinner displayed while the maps are loaded, and the last three are from various zoom levels. Note the zoom slider on the bottom of the screen. I intentionally cut the logo of the data source provider out of each screen shot, but I'm sure that anyone with a keen eye can figure out the source.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thats pretty kool man i havent ever seen that maps style but looks to be a nice app !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I have an annoying technical glitch with certain zoom levels drawing on the screen for 1/2 second and then going to a blank screen. Other than that, the only major hurdle is getting the permission of the data source owner to incorporate their feed into an app before I release it even for beta testing. (I've been *extremely* swamped at work the past few weeks, and haven't had a free minute to contact the data source or even finish debugging the above glitch.)

I actually used it three weekends ago when I was officiating at a racing event, to find out if an impending line of thunderstorms required me to stop the competition and bring the corner workers in for safety. It also came in handy on my drive home that evening, when a line of severe t-storms popped up on my drive home. I looked at the map, saw that the line was going to be hanging over my route home for about 50 miles, and took a 10-mile detour to a parallel road that only had me in the storms for 5 minutes and not a full hour.

Just so that you don't think that I'm yanking your chain, here's four screen shots out of the emulator from a few minutes ago. The first one is the custom spinner displayed while the maps are loaded, and the last three are from various zoom levels. Note the zoom slider on the bottom of the screen. I intentionally cut the logo of the data source provider out of each screen shot, but I'm sure that anyone with a keen eye can figure out the source.....
    Just can't wait. Will your app allow zooming down to street level maps?

Will the maps redraw as your gps position changes? In your screen shots, is the target looking circle your gps position?

Thanks for the app and can't wait to try it soon.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dornier View Post
    Just can't wait. Will your app allow zooming down to street level maps?
    The data source offers it, but via a web page that doesn't easily translate to the Pre's screen. So, I made the program launch a web browser and take you to your current GPS location on that program, but you'll have to slide around the screen and wrestle with the lack of flash features.

Will the maps redraw as your gps position changes? In your screen shots, is the target looking circle your gps position?
    I currently don't have it refreshing the map as time passes, but making it do so and putting the get GPS position code inside the loop is trivial.

Yes, the cross hairs are the current GPS coordinates. In the examples above, it points at Palm's corporate headquarters, since that's the default location in the emulator.....
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Here's a link to the android IMAP Weather mobile program. They also have a video to see how it works.

iMap Weather Mobile @ www.wdtinc.com

Is it possible to overlay weather radar and GPS position with the current SDK on the Pre? I hope so!

GP
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    The data source offers it, but via a web page that doesn't easily translate to the Pre's screen. So, I made the program launch a web browser and take you to your current GPS location on that program, but you'll have to slide around the screen and wrestle with the lack of flash features.

I currently don't have it refreshing the map as time passes, but making it do so and putting the get GPS position code inside the loop is trivial.

Yes, the cross hairs are the current GPS coordinates. In the examples above, it points at Palm's corporate headquarters, since that's the default location in the emulator.....
    Any update?

Thanks,

GP
    Ditto I'd love to see this app
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!