Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jrkillel
  • 1 Post By Jonathan I Ezor#IM
  • 1 Post By AndiG63
  • 1 Post By mcrossley
  1.    #1  
    I already posted about this once under the general Palm Pre forum but since I didn't really get any responses, maybe this is the place where I should be asking the question...after all, it is a development issue. Anyway...

I'm hoping that one of you developer geniuses can figure out how to enable the bluetooth DUN profile for the Pre. I don't need it for tethering...I know there's already a good tethering app out there. I need it so my TomTom Go 930 (and all other TomTom models) can use the wireless data connection from the Pre to access TomTom's Plus Services (including traffic information.)

On my previous phone (Sprint Mogul), I was able to download a little hack from the WinMo community over at XDA-Developers to do this. I figure if it can be done in WinMo, maybe it can be done on the Pre.

What do you think? Anybody want to take a crack? I know this would be an application development I'd be willing to donate to. I wouldn't be surprised if many other TomTom Go users felt the same way.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    You can enable bluetooth PAN using My Tether by Aonic. He has crafted a very useful tethering utility that allows for USB, BT, and even Wifi data tethering. I'm not familiar with how exactly TomTom accesses it's data stream, but if it is regular internet traffic then this should work for you. He has even made an installer that doesn't require rooting your Pre. Here is the forum thread: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...fi-usb-bt.html

This was my tenth post, so I just inserted a proper link.
    Last edited by tonuello; 08/07/2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: explanation of improper link
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Tonuello. Unfortunately TomTom won't work PAN...it only works with DUN. Aonic says he's going to look into it but he's slammed working on the standard features in My Tether. Hopefully he'll be able to add it or somebody else could just write a basic little hack that just does this. I'd blow it off but the traffic updates from my TomTom have really changed my life...cuts my drive way down.

Thanks again for the post though.
    aleeceh likes this.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I had a feeling you were going for DUN specifically, oh well, worth a shot. Are you comfortable rooting your Pre? I'll look around on the wikis and see if I can help with your search.
  5.    #5  
    I don't plan on rooting my Pre for any other reason, but I would definitely do it for this. Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Looks like they are making some serious progress, they are trying to replace Palm's proprietary bluetooth stack with BlueZ (standard on most linux boxes). This should open up all of the bluetooth profiles. There is hope for you yet!

BlueZ - WebOS Internals
  7.    #7  
    That would be great! Given the amazing Pre development progress that has happened over the last 2 months, I'm feeling pretty good about the odds. Thanks for finding that.
    Has anything happened on this front recently? {ProfJonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    aleeceh likes this.
    I second that. I would also like to be able to use BT DUN.

Any news?
    aleeceh likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiG63 View Post
    I second that. I would also like to be able to use BT DUN.

Any news?
    Ping. Anyone got an answer for this? I need BT DUN too
    aleeceh likes this.