Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    is there anything we can do to enable haptic feed back? you know, like everytime you touch the screen it vibrates a lil. the instinct had it and it was awesome. i think a must have for touch screen phones.
    Haptic feedback is a screen technology IIRC. Palm did not license and include the electronics into the Pre thus it could not be made to work. This technology is used on phones that are all touch-screen such as the Instinct. Since the Pre has a physical keyboard, there's really no need.

I've seen applications on other platforms that use the vibrate feature to mimic Haptics but they are never as good as true Haptic technology and it wreaks havoc on the battery life.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 08/07/2009 at 09:31 AM.
    I have made an attempt to do this in my app:

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...rpn-calculator

It works reasonably well but there's SOME lag.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    I have made an attempt to do this in my app:

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...rpn-calculator

It works reasonably well but there's SOME lag.
    And no option to turn it off is why I uninstalled the current version. Unless I missed that somewhere. Visual ripple as enough for me.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Preferences for this are an upcoming feature. I just nailed down persistent storage of memory and statistics registers which I also need to store any kind of preferences. I expect it to be configurable before the end of the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Haptic feedback is a screen technology IIRC. Palm did not license and include the electronics into the Pre thus it could not be made to work. This technology is used on phones that are all touch-screen such as the Instinct. Since the Pre has a physical keyboard, there's really no need.

I've seen applications on other platforms that use the vibrate feature to mimic Haptics but they are never as good as true Haptic technology and it wreaks havoc on the battery life.
    The only electronics needed is the vibrator and the touchscreen, The touch Pro can have this enabled with a simple program.
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Well thas a astart....the only thing I have now that is clise to haptic is a lil explosion wen I touch an app. Weird though, because I only got it to work in launchrr pages...
    It should be possible for Palm to enable haptic feedback on any widget tap event, OS-wide. The question is: do they want to?

If I can do it in my app it can be done OS-wide. Doing it from within an app results in latency issues (lag) but when done from within the OS core it should be possible to make the haptic feedback instant. It's the same thing like playing sounds in the Simon app. The sound has some lag. The dialpad however does NOT have lag when playing sounds as you touch numbers on the pad.

I unfortunately lack the knowledge to hack WebOS to make haptic feedback a global default. I'm sure someone could do it though (maybe the webosinternals people?)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    It should be possible for Palm to enable haptic feedback on any widget tap event, OS-wide. The question is: do they want to?

If I can do it in my app it can be done OS-wide. Doing it from within an app results in latency issues (lag) but when done from within the OS core it should be possible to make the haptic feedback instant. It's the same thing like playing sounds in the Simon app. The sound has some lag. The dialpad however does NOT have lag when playing sounds as you touch numbers on the pad.

I unfortunately lack the knowledge to hack WebOS to make haptic feedback a global default. I'm sure someone could do it though (maybe the webosinternals people?)
    Doubtful they would unless they owned the patent...then I could see it being implemented.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Doubtful they would unless they owned the patent...then I could see it being implemented.
    WTF someone has a patent on making the phone vibrate when touching the screen? GAH!

I hate patents. With a passion.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I hate patents. With a passion.
    Sorry I have a patent on hating patents, so your not allowed to do that. LOL
    Every time a dog shakes I get a dollar.