1.    #1  
    This has been a pain to pull off (I completely see why Palm hasn't implemented their own version of this yet) but I've got a working hack of this up and running. Its a ton of changes to the email app so when it's ready for primetime, I'll need some advise as to how to go about publishing this. What I've done so far is just overwrite 4 or 5 files in the email app folder.

I've attached a snapshot of what it looks like. You basically tap anywhere on the gradient part of the email (tap target starts about 20% over from the right) to put an 'X' on that email. Keep scrolling through the email list and tap all the emails you want to delete. If you mess up, of course tapping the same email gradient will remove the 'X'. When done, tap the trashcan icon. Thats it. No confirmation, but I suppose I could implement one.

My question is this: does the gradient look OK? Is this the best way to go about doing this? I could just as easily look for a key being held down instead of having "multiple" tap targets. Or I could have both methods. What do you guys think?

Also, any other ideas are welcome. I currently have two bugs that I can't quite figure out.

#1) once you start tapping emails to delete, you don't need a sync to take place. This screws up the indexing and the wrong emails will end up getting deleted. I need a way to temporarily stop the auto sync from taking place.

#2) And this is a biggie - right now when all selected emails are deleted, I have yet to find a way of refreshing the widget list properly. I need a way to access the entire dynamic list and remove elements directly from that. Since there isn't a list model, I'm clueless on how to pull this off.

Once these two bugs are taken care of, I'd love to let people start beta testing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This looks very promising. Would it require rooting the pre?
    I could just as easily look for a key being held down instead of having "multiple" tap targets.

This probably sounds like the better idea since you can already just swipe each email (the same method that is used to swipe alerts) from the screen shot you posted and this will also delete the email.

Nice work though! Looks promising.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    This looks very promising. Would it require rooting the pre?
    I guess that would depend on how I ended up publishing it. I can't package it since it's basically a huge hack to an existing app. I'll bounce this off some people who have a lot more experience at this than I do and see what we can come up with. More than likely, I would imagine a rooted Pre would be required.
    I just swipe to the right, I dont get enough emails to justify this, but more power to you brother

and if I really need to delete more than one at a time, *works in messaging app too*, i just swipe one to the right...

When the Delete or Cancel dialog pops up, just swipe another convo to the right, and another... then hit delete on the last one... easy peesy, japanesy
    Last edited by scizzy; 08/07/2009 at 01:12 AM.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    @OP: Have you tried chatting up the Palm dev guys over at develor.palm.com's forums? They are pretty good (prompt) about responding to direct questions. It seems to me that if you are doing the heavy lifting for them, it would be in their best interest to be taken up in one of the next OS updates. It would be a shame if all that work would simply be broken by the next 0.0.1!!!

Especially since, from what I'm seeing, it seems you really took the time to respect the guidelines of the UI to keep the same user experience.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Wow I would love to beta test this....

Would be a great time saver for me
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Could you change the focus a bit to allow *moving* (where deletion is just a special case of "moving" to the trash). A lot of folks have requested an easier way to move multiple emails. If you could also flag, that would be even better. (Flagging is the feature that would be most useful to me personally.)

I've always thought it should be possible to add a "color" field to the database and allow users to change the display color of emails too, but I don't know how/if its possible to change the structure of the database.

Either way - keep on hacking, looks good!
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Amen to what tcurtin suggested about implementing this as a multiple move-to-folder instead of multiple trash!

One question. Isn't there a checkbox thingy in Mojo? It would seem to be more intuitive than clicking on a blank gray area to make an X pop up.....
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    This looks pretty good. I can deal with swiping to delete from my in box, but I hate doin that in the trash folder. I know you have already done a lot of work on this already, but would it be possible to swipe the trash folder off the screen to delete all the emails in it?

This would serve as a delete all just like deleting a sms conversation rather than just 1 sent message.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Amen to what tcurtin suggested about implementing this as a multiple move-to-folder instead of multiple trash!

One question. Isn't there a checkbox thingy in Mojo? It would seem to be more intuitive than clicking on a blank gray area to make an X pop up.....
    Yes, I initially tried this but it ends up being more clunky than you'd think. The checkbox widget is pretty small and is usually only implemented when it doesn't have other hit targets RIGHT next to it. There is a lot of information Palm has stuffed into the email list widget thus your margin of error for tapping on a checkbox is extremely small. I spent hours trying to drill down just the right target area that would make this "feature" convenient enough to use without causing more frustration than it's worth. This is the best solution I could come up with.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdubbx View Post
    This looks pretty good. I can deal with swiping to delete from my in box, but I hate doin that in the trash folder. I know you have already done a lot of work on this already, but would it be possible to swipe the trash folder off the screen to delete all the emails in it?

This would serve as a delete all just like deleting a sms conversation rather than just 1 sent message.
    Working on it..
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post

Once these two bugs are taken care of, I'd love to let people start beta testing it.
    Sounds great, and i could really use this... willing to test when you are ready... currently have over 4k emails that i'm ready to delete the entire account and start over just to clear up...