Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The time has come! We really need a new Memo app!

The memo app that comes with the Pre is lame. It is just not useful to me, except maybe for real fast notes, but not for lists I need to keep! I really NEED a nice simple text file based app like the old PalmOS had.

I just need a list of files that I can select and see the text! Having folders would be cool for organization. A way to convert my old memos .pdb would be wonderful but I can also deal with just copying and pasting.

Please make it store and keep the .txt files in a directory that can be accessed in USB mode.

At some point we can expand this to encrypt memos etc.. but for now just a nice list would work!
    Last edited by Paladin; 08/06/2009 at 02:59 PM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    There is no file I/O in mojo SDK.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Not only do I agree that a legitimate Memo program is necessary (with full search capability, date/time stamps, sorting chrono or alpha, categories or folders, etc.) but I'm hoping that the guys over at MarkSpace would create it.
    1. They have a sync solution for the Pre already
    2. They already have their own memo app for the Mac (and I'm guessing PC)
    3. They know how to port old Palm Memo data to it

Let's just hope that Memos aren't ignored by 3rd parties like Palm has ignored them.
  4.    #4  
    Then I will figure out a way to copy/paste them into the app. ii
    I can email them to myself, go to forward the email and copy the text. I can then paste it into the app. It will take time but will be worth it in the end. I have lists of things I need to access for work etc...

Wow no file I/O at all? I mean that really seems lame to me. How do you save information then? I have not dabbled into programming yet. I simply have not had time. I really want to at some point.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post

The memo app that comes with the Pre is lame. It is just not useful to me, except maybe for real fast notes, but not for lists I need to keep! I really NEED a nice simple text file based app like the old PalmOS had.

I just need a list of files that I can select and see the text! Having folders would be cool for organization. A way to convert my old memos .pdb would be wonderful but I can also deal with just copying and pasting.

Please make it store and keep the .txt files in a directory that can be accessed in USB mode.

At some point we can expand this to encrypt memos etc.. but for now just a nice list would work!
    I agree. I hate it also and I'd love to see the old one brought back. ATM I am just using the Tasks app where I created a tasks list named 'Notes' lol

I had multiple lists in my Memos on the Palm. So many, that I had them nicely categorized. I miss user-definable categories.

The colors are okay and I wouldn't want to see them go away, but they're just too limiting.

Also, would like to be able to sync notes with Outlook Memos like we could with Palm OS.
    Wow no file I/O at all? I mean that really seems lame to me. How do you save information then?
    There is cookies for simple data and the html5 database (sqlite). But you can't read and write .txt or any other files.
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    There is cookies for simple data and the html5 database (sqlite). But you can't read and write .txt or any other files.
    PreGame's fileCoaster seems to be able to. Beyond borrowing Palm's com.palm app ID convention I don't know how, though.
  9.    #9  
    Well I will take a nice SQLLite Db version! ii

Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    My solution to this whole notes problem was to cut my Treo notes out of Palm Desktop and paste them into text files. I then copied those text files to the phone via USB, and can read them with Doc Viewer. Granted, you can't edit those docs and it's not secure, but my particular notes are only a dozen or so emergency procedures lists that don't exactly lend themselves to being stored in the Pre's calendar, contact list, or tasks.....
  11.    #11  
    Man that Shopping list program (http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ping-list.html) would be a GREAT memo app. Just let us have entire files instead of just a list and some format changes.

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    I guess you guys don't like evernote too?
    Evernote is very slow and requires an internet connection to access notes that you created on the Pre.

If they fixed the access issue and included a sync or import option from Palm's Note app then Evernote might work as a replacement.
    Just be a little patient. Evernote will be everything you need and much much more. The desktop client is incredible and its very easy to import your Outlook memos. Just checkout the iphone, WM, or BB version of Evernote and you will see how good the Pre version will soon be.
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    There is no file I/O in mojo SDK.
    That's good because separate files for notes is a terrible solution. The correct way to code it would be to use a database which the SDK fully supports.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    PreGame's fileCoaster seems to be able to. Beyond borrowing Palm's com.palm app ID convention I don't know how, though.
    Is it actually reading and writing files? Simply telling a service to download a file, then telling another one to install it, is not reading and writing files with Mojo.
  17.    #17  
    I just want locally stored memos that I can use. I do not want everything on-line as far as content. I have combos and passwords in Memo form. I would like a way to password protect them but it was easier at the time.

18.    #18  
    BUMP!!! I REALLY need a decent memo app guys.... Just give me anything like the old PalmOS one is fine. A list of files I can open and read. I really do not like the built in one but may use it soon. Only one way to stop me... I will do it...... please don't make me....
    ii

Have you tried P2P Snippets in the homebrew section? Not sure if that's what you're looking for?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Have you tried P2P Snippets in the homebrew section? Not sure if that's what you're looking for?
    No but I did see it. I was under the impression it was more for shorter "notes".
    I will check it out, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast