1.    #1  
    This may sound a little backwards, but then I could think of some uses for such a setup, so I thought I would ask:

Is it possible for the pre to access the internet through a bluetooth network? I know there has been a lot of discussion about tethering to the pre through bluetooth, but I'm wondering about the opposite. For instance, having a bluetooth card in a pc with internet access, or in my case, a Q9c set up for bluetooth PAN. Reason being: I'm at work and have a workable signal on my Q, but the reception on the pre is too intermittent to allow any sort of meaningful internet access. I could then set my Q someplace where the signal is most consistent, and then my pre could access the internet through the Q, and stay mobile to boot.

I have searched for this with no luck. It may be buried in one of the tethering discussions, and I just can't find it.

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Well it PAN Network is 2 way, so you wouldn't need to configure the bluetooth settings in any kind of special way, you would just need to configure your pre to use the PAN network to access the internet. You might want to check the Wiki on how to configure networking and just have it point to a pan network you have created.

I would like to add profiles to the Pre though. I think if it had a 2 way HID profile it would be sweet. I could use a bluetooth keyboard as my Pre keyboard, and I could use my Pre's keyboard as keyboard when chatting on the PS3.

As for you signal if the Moto Q is with sprint too, you should mess with your Pre's settings to try to beef up the signal. Turn off roaming or force it only Roam using a patch on the Wiki. Update the PRL too.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by S4Rs View Post
    Well it PAN Network is 2 way, so you wouldn't need to configure the bluetooth settings in any kind of special way, you would just need to configure your pre to use the PAN network to access the internet. You might want to check the Wiki on how to configure networking and just have it point to a pan network you have created.

I would like to add profiles to the Pre though. I think if it had a 2 way HID profile it would be sweet. I could use a bluetooth keyboard as my Pre keyboard, and I could use my Pre's keyboard as keyboard when chatting on the PS3.

As for you signal if the Moto Q is with sprint too, you should mess with your Pre's settings to try to beef up the signal. Turn off roaming or force it only Roam using a patch on the Wiki. Update the PRL too.
    Cool! Thanks for the help. So that would mean if I installed mytether I would be able to make it work?

I don't think I can beef up the recpetion on my Pre anymore than I already have. I've done all that you suggest already (except the roam only hack...If i'm gonna be stuck at 1x, I would rather not bother.) In fact, I returned the first pre I had because of obvious reception issues, and the one I have now is amazingly better. But, for whatever reason, my Q is the only phone on my floor that can get a consistent signal (which makes for about 200 jealous coworkers.) It's weird though, sometimes my wife's centro does better in other places, just never where I work. Go figure!
    Did this work. I would like to get internet access for my Pre through my desktop at work. I have no signal where I site but would like to be able to still get an internet connection with my phone.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I noticed today that I can connect to my Pre via Bluetooth and get Internet access on my laptop. It's slow but nevertheless it is connecting and I'm able to browse the Internet just fine. I do not have MyTether installed, nor have I rooted my phone.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charlo75 View Post
    I noticed today that I can connect to my Pre via Bluetooth and get Internet access on my laptop. It's slow but nevertheless it is connecting and I'm able to browse the Internet just fine. I do not have MyTether installed, nor have I rooted my phone.
    That only works when the Pre is connected to a wifi network. When it's using EVDO, you'll get a message saying that tethering is not allowed or something to that effect, I don't remember.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Gotcha...that makes sense. Thanks.