Page 1 of 38 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Guys, not sure if this has been done yet: I actually did get mp4 recording on the Pre via command line this evening. No GUI and the file is playable by VLC player (not Quicktime, possibly because I just killed the gstream with ctrl-x) but maybe someone can help me with that part.

At your rooted command line

(make sure FS is rw)
    mount -o remount,rw /
    gst-launch camsrc ! palmvideoencoder ! filesink location=/media/internal/downloads/foo.mp4
    mount -o remount,ro /

Like I said, no GUI but other than that, not bad, right? Frame rate seemed pretty decent too. Note: there is no sound recording.

(edited to add attachment - brief vid with me making a retarded face)
    (edit 2: sound)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I tried to play the video with VLC, but it seems to be of zero length. I just installed VLC on this machine (Win XP 32bit).

Great to hear someone working on this, tho.
  3.    #3  
    The file is definitely not well formed, but it claims its H.264 encoded. Here's the commandline output:

root@castle:/media/internal# gst-launch camsrc ! palmvideoencoder ! filesink location=/media/internal/downl
    oads/foo2.mp4
    stop: (01011/78784179) Job not changed: camd
    (01011/124468994) camd: goal changed
    Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
    Pipeline is live and does not need PREROLL ...
    Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
    New clock: GstSystemClock
    proposed caps: video/x-raw-yuv
    Initially, Got the following OUTPUT values from the encoder:
    pPortDef->format.video.nBitrate = 64000
    pPortDef->format.video.eCompressionFormat = 7
    Setting video encoding to H.264
    ===> After settings, we have the following OUTPUT values from the encoder:
    pPortDef->format.video.nBitrate = 64000
    pPortDef->format.video.eCompressionFormat = 7
    Caught interrupt -- handling interrupt.
    Interrupt: Stopping pipeline ...
    Execution ended after 17251647949 ns.
    Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
    Setting pipeline to READY ...
    Setting pipeline to NULL ...
    --------------------> OMX_FreeHandle succeeded
    ^X[1] + Stopped gst-launch camsrc ! palmvideoencoder ! filesink location=/media/internal/downloads/foo2.mp4

edit: gst-inspect will give you a list of possible sources, but most are for decoding/demuxing.
    edit2: The Videos app will not recognize anything recorded, at least as long as I keep ending recordings using ctrl-c or ctrl-z to kill
  4.    #4  
    Just digging around more on gstreamer...if/when we get a GUI slapped on it, there seems to be potential for live streaming video conferencing - the XO laptop can do it...laptop.org has a page about the XO laptop using Gstreamer (i can't link because of number of posts...)
    Awe *snap!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I can't even get it to play... in vlc...

Lets keep digging shall we...
    Oh wow, good job. I got it working. There is no sound recorded, but that could just be my comp... Thank you, this is a awesome find.

Also, vlc doesn't play it correctly, use another video player.
    Last edited by sarah peterman; 08/06/2009 at 07:19 AM.
    aka lunareclipse
    You can find me here:
    Twitter
    Pre Themes
    Grats, amazing work!
  9.    #9  
    I guess the variability of what will play the file has to do with codec packs and versioning.

I'm currently focusing on /usr/lib/luna/luna-media/palmInitMedia.jsjsjs $to$ $see$ $if$ $I$ $can$'$t$ $create$ $a$ $video$ $pipe$ $and$ $capture$ $method$, $whether$ $it$ $be$ $creating$ $one$ $from$ $scratch$ $or$ $simply$ $routing$ $the$ $_preview$ $used$ $for$ $the$ $still$ $camera$ $preview$ $to$ $the$ $filesystem$.

EDIT: Points of interest around line 800
  10.    #10  
    Just a little more info:

The camera module on the Pre is the VX6852. More info & data sheets: STMicroelectronics | QXGA EDOF camera module - VX6852

Palm appears to have implemented the standard video4linux2 to interface with the camera.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcrook View Post
    Just a little more info:

The camera module on the Pre is the VX6852. More info & data sheets: STMicroelectronics | QXGA EDOF camera module - VX6852

Palm appears to have implemented the standard video4linux2 to interface with the camera.

" The product can output raw bayer 3 Mpixel images at up to 20 fps"

Interesting. Looks like it can potentially record full sensor resolution (beyond HiDef) at up to 20fps. If the CPU can handle the bandwidth that is
  12.    #12  
    In the file of interest I mentioned Palm has their prefs set for the still camera preview stream as 30fps but at screen resolution (320x480) and it certainly appears to be that way.

I guess we could modify the preview stream in that mediainit file to preview in full resolution and a lower frame rate which would be interesting.
    Good stuff. From what I read, Palm is working on a video camera app with a third party developer, but your experiments are very interesting.
  14.    #14  
    I'm not so much concerned with the video recording as much as learning a bit more about how all of this works in the first place. Plus, the lower level we get, the more possibilities for cool apps like video conferencing and augmented reality...
    I'm with you. I can't wait for Palm to release a real SDK. This javascript stuff is passable, but I'd really rather be able to at least use Java or better yet, C++ and get access to much more of the capabilities of the hardware.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I am able to record video from the UI . I have a thttp server running on the phone and created bookmarks to two links (VidRec) and (VidStop) I can even remotely record now hitting my webserver from the EvDO IP.

/localhost/cgi-bin/vidrec.sh:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    echo "HTTP/1.1 302 found"
    echo "Location: http://localhost:8888/palm.html"
    echo "Content-Type: text/html"
    echo ""

#Turn on the flash!
    cd /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0033
    echo -n 1 >avin
    echo -n 100mA >torch_current
    echo -n torch >mode

FILE="`date +%m`_`date +%d`_`date +%y`_`date +%H`_`date +%M`_`date +%S`.mp4"
    gst-launch camsrc ! palmvideoencoder ! filesink location=/media/internal/downloads/$FILE &
    /localhost/cgi-bin/vidstop.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    echo "HTTP/1.1 302 found"
    echo "Location: http://localhost:8888/palm.html"
    echo "Content-Type: text/html"
    echo ""

#Turn off flash
    cd /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0033
    echo -n shutdown >mode
    echo -n 0mA >torch_current
    echo -n 0 >avin

killall -HUP gst-launch-0.10
    ** Note if you are having troubles with errors starting recording you need to make sure you have initialized the camera first by running the Camera app at least once during the session. ***

CPCrook: Ill have to play with those settings as well to see if we can boost the resolution.

I think audio can be had by including the Alsa mic on the pipeline. Im not familiar with gstreamer enough to know how to do this exaclty yet.

File plays fine on Mplayer but not recognized by the internal video player on the Pre.
    Code:
    Playing PreVideoTest.mp4.
    H264-ES file format detected.
    FPS seems to be: 30.000000
    xscreensaver_disable: Could not find XScreenSaver window.
    GNOME screensaver disabled
    ==========================================================================
    Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
    Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
    ==========================================================================
    Audio: no sound
    Starting playback...
    VDec: vo config request - 480 x 320 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
    VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
    Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
    VO: [xv] 480x320 => 480x320 Planar YV12
    Last edited by zonyl; 08/06/2009 at 11:49 AM.
    Awesome!!! The output played fine in totem on ubuntu jaunty.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Hm.. The flash seems to get turned off when the camera starts recording. Looking into that as well.
    Last edited by zonyl; 08/06/2009 at 11:34 AM.
  19.    #19  
    Looks great! I'm looking into modifying the camera app so it only records video, not still...

edit: theres a new "VideoRecording" section on the webos-internals wiki if you'd like to detail what you've done.
    Wicked man. This looks promising indeed!
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
Page 1 of 38 12345611 ... LastLast