Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
    No complaints about that. 64kbps 30fps 480x320 5.87Mb
    Last edited by johncc; 09/24/2009 at 07:15 AM.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Wow, I wasn't expecting quality that nice from the device to be honest. This is very interesting news and certainly makes me hopeful about adding video functionality.
    I'll upload the service ipk later tonight. No guarantees as I have no way to test it.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    If nothing else, it looks like the raw code is in there to do video. Probably was started and then when the deadlines approach, they felt it would have to get pushed off to get it out the door.

Good to know the hardware can pull it off. Would be interesting to see if background apps really drag it down.
    Mark F Chinsky
    Jason - hit me up on AIM and i'll test out anything you need to be tested.
    This looks very nice for a mobile camera. I can't wait til either palm or homebrew has this going. I'd love to try this out. I'm fully rooted and have terminal on my phone.
    Hardware can handle 720x480.

Driver doesn't support it.

Just throwing that out there.. to look to in the future.

edit: ok, just going to throw a few things out there maybe to clarify some points of interest. Palm didn't include a poorly featured version of gstreamer, as much as they had to break it to make their own hacked camera drivers work. andrew james has done most of the work in that department, not sure if he posts here, but he's been able to successfully get plugins loaded, particularly for ogg and flac support. in the same realm, and at least in theory... custom build v4l2 drivers and a custom patched gstreamer could get 720x480 working, in theory.
    Last edited by Prenosicator; 09/24/2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: info
    Here's my attempt. Inside the zip is an ipk for the VideoCam service, as well as an ipk test gui. There 3 alternate ways to start a video recording (3 different recording commands I've read).

As I can't test anything on the emulator and I have no live device, in the spirit of opensource video camera development, I've also include the source code for people to build off of, as well as an API file for developers, so that if it does work, developers can integrate video recording into their own apps.

This is a completely untested service, based off commands in this thread. Use at your own risk. Videos record to /media/internal/ (the base in USB mode)
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 09/24/2009 at 11:59 PM.
    Holy carp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Here's my attempt. Inside the zip is an ipk for the VideoCam service, as well as an ipk test gui. There 3 alternate ways to start a video recording (3 different recording commands I've read).

As I can't test anything on the emulator and I have no live device, in the spirit of opensource video camera development, I've also include the source code for people to build off of, as well as an API file for developers, so that if it does work, developers can integrate video recording into their own apps.

This is a completely untested service, based off commands in this thread. Use at your own risk. Videos record to /media/internal/ (the base in USB mode)
    I keep getting videocam is not running, how do I go about turning it on, as always, thanks for your time
    Quote Originally Posted by SMKOUT333 View Post
    I keep getting videocam is not running, how do I go about turning it on, as always, thanks for your time
    You have to install the videocam service first, and in WebOS Quick Install. If that's what you've done, try rebooting your Pre and try again
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    You have to install the videocam service first, and in WebOS Quick Install. If that's what you've done, try rebooting your Pre and try again
    Restarting now, thanks for the info these files (the videos themselves) are only retrievable in USB mode correct? any chance we could possibly mod this into the camera app and make a "camera remix" app much like DANPLC has done with the music app?
    I'm getting the same service not running message when I hit the On button or any of the start buttons, though I'm on the leaked 1.2 still, so I don't know if it's just me. Preware shows that the service is installed, and I did reboot after installing it.

Anyway, if the service is working right, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem to hack it into the camera application, you just would need to send the right commands to the service.
    Oops, you're right, a minor error in packing, I'll be back in like 2min with an updated service
    same service not running
    Glad Im not the village *****, I was worried there for a sec.. uninstalling through preware and eagerly awaiting the updated service
    Thanks for getting on it so fast for us that are waiting to try it out.
    This is a brilliant breakthrough. I am loving the WebOS development community.
    Attached is the updated zip with the fixed videocam service ipk
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 09/25/2009 at 12:11 AM.
    a moment of silence while we download and test.
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast