Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    So does this mean the homebrew community (incl. webOS Internals) is NOT close to having a video recording app? Does it mean it's still not yet possible? Or just that it's not yet possible/easy for Palm themselves to put an app out there with the OS as-is? (Or something else entirely? hehe)

/Kevin
    The homebrew app is nearly done. Zsoc (aka Prenosicator) recompiled the Gstreamer binary to add EOS support within a matter of hours, and I made my own video camera service, based on Zsoc's spec, released it under MIT license. Gave him the service a few days ago so all that would be left to do would be building the first build of a the webOS app, as well debugging to make sure it works.

So please be patient.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 11/17/2009 at 03:22 PM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    The homebrew app is nearly done. Zsoc (aka Prenosicator) recompiled the Gstreamer binary to add EOS support within a matter of hours, and I made my own video camera service, based on Zsoc's spec, released it under MIT license. Gave him the spec a few days ago so all that would be left to do would be building the first build of a the webOS app, as well debugging to make sure it works.

So please be patient.
    Oh, no problem at all, I just wasn't sure what that comment meant.. if it was bad news or not. Actually, I don't even care about video recording, but my sister (who just got her Pre this weekend) does. hehe So she will be thrilled to hear this!

/Kevin
    I've been following this thread since about page 19 and I'd just like to thank all you programmers and people posting links to their videos. This is awesome! I'm incredibly excited about the video app when it becomes readily available for the average Joe like myself. Thanks cpcrook, alvin319, NickDG, Prenosicator, Jason Robitaille and anyone else that contributed that I may have left out.

I'm glad to see the homebrew community with such programmers like yourselves and can't wait to see what more you have to offer us.

I'm sure there's hundreds more just like me that are silently reading these posts and silently thanking you for all your hard work.

Keep up the good work, and thanks again.
    thanx jason thats the news i been wanting to hear...keeeeeeep it upp....
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    The homebrew app is nearly done. Zsoc (aka Prenosicator) recompiled the Gstreamer binary to add EOS support within a matter of hours, and I made my own video camera service, based on Zsoc's spec, released it under MIT license. Gave him the spec a few days ago so all that would be left to do would be building the first build of a the webOS app, as well debugging to make sure it works.

So please be patient.
    My Chihuahua, Mr Big, and Rottweiller, Wallace Carter Shakur, are dying to get back on youtube. They have actually been writing a play while we wait. So, no rush, they are only on act II which is 'Run around and beg for food.'

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    My Chihuahua, Mr Big, and Rottweiller, Wallace Carter Shakur, are dying to get back on youtube. They have actually been writing a play while we wait. So, no rush, they are only on act II which is 'Run around and beg for food.'

Thanks!

I believe I am actually going to delay the release of this application due to the frightening nature of those dogs.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN
    Programmers, the work you are doing is valued very much by a lot more people than just the ones you see posting here. Just as tkhagan said.

I finally got a Pre yesterday after months of waiting for a Pre 2 (and it ended up being the crappy Pixi, so I got a Pre like I always wanted). I'm impressed by the camera, but even more impressed the quality of videos posted. They look better than some HD cameras, it seems the Pre removes image grain very well on the hardware side.

One more thing: Many of us don't understand all these terms. I'm quite technical with computers and I know programming, but I don't know WebOS programming and many of the terms that go along with it.

The two biggest questions that seem still unanswered in laymens terms are: Have you got sound working, and is it synced to the video?

If the video is still recording fast... I believe it's because the Pre can't take a full 30 fps at that resolution, and the recording software needs to either generate extra frames or improve its efficiency (just a hunch, but it seems that everyone already decided that the video format was the culprit).
    On a whiteboard in some dark conference room at Palm, Inc.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Video capture application development plan:

1. Promise video capture ability
    2. Make available open source software for video capturing (in binary form)
    3. Wait for homebrew developers to do our job for us.
    4. Profit!

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Ecstasy View Post
    Programmers, the work you are doing is valued very much by a lot more people than just the ones you see posting here. Just as tkhagan said.

I finally got a Pre yesterday after months of waiting for a Pre 2 (and it ended up being the crappy Pixi, so I got a Pre like I always wanted). I'm impressed by the camera, but even more impressed the quality of videos posted. They look better than some HD cameras, it seems the Pre removes image grain very well on the hardware side.

One more thing: Many of us don't understand all these terms. I'm quite technical with computers and I know programming, but I don't know WebOS programming and many of the terms that go along with it.

The two biggest questions that seem still unanswered in laymens terms are: Have you got sound working, and is it synced to the video?

If the video is still recording fast... I believe it's because the Pre can't take a full 30 fps at that resolution, and the recording software needs to either generate extra frames or improve its efficiency (just a hunch, but it seems that everyone already decided that the video format was the culprit).
    sound is fine, but we're still in very narrow alpha testing.

and honestly, Palm is working on so much right now with limited resources. some of the stuff they have already accomplished, code-wise, is pretty impressive to me. many people have faulted Palm for lack of this or that, but i am a happy camper. and them wanting home developers to whip up fixes for them isn't really feasible. honestly, the stuff they are 'releasing' is closed source, and not made for us (altho admittedly there is a surprising amount of API detail for internal stuff)

if they really wanted home brew'ers / developers to make their OS, they would release the source to all their binaries, and we'd have any feature you want available. but, not only is that a pretty bad business model, it is also a recipe for people to really mess up their phones, heh.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

~~~~~~~~~~~

4. Profit!

~~~~~~~~~~~
    booooo to palm if this is how they went about this...i'll be making a donation soon
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

~~~~~~~~~~~

4. Profit!

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by dannydos View Post
    booooo to palm if this is how they went about this...i'll be making a donation soon
    If it's low on their own priority list, it sounds like a pretty good plan to me.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post

Thanks!

LMAO.. I hope you don't mind if I keep this pic. It is begging for some captioning. lol.. Awesome!!
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    The homebrew app is nearly done. Zsoc (aka Prenosicator) recompiled the Gstreamer binary to add EOS support within a matter of hours, and I made my own video camera service, based on Zsoc's spec, released it under MIT license. Gave him the service a few days ago so all that would be left to do would be building the first build of a the webOS app, as well debugging to make sure it works.

So please be patient.
    Offtopic a bit, but can you recompile Gstreamer with OGG/FLAC support?
    Great news! I just hope it gets fully developed and implemented by Palm ASAP!
    Quote Originally Posted by dannydos View Post
    I have a feeling that within the next year or two, I will have given homebrew developers about twice as much money as I've given Palm...

Just a feeling, tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    Offtopic a bit, but can you recompile Gstreamer with OGG/FLAC support?
    no recompile necessary, just install the correct plugins and register them with gst. Andrew James had the first OGG file playing on a pre from terminal.

the problem is getting the support in native music app, which would require some serious binary patches / reverse engeneering (fileindexer doesn't know to index those filetypes, and mediaserver doesn't know it can play them). Last I heard of this, someone actually successfully hacked (literally) the fileindexer to force ogg recognition in the music player, but couldn't get mediaserver to interface correctly (i keep calling it mediaserver... y'know, whatever the C/C++ daemon is that plays audio/video with gst/ffmpeg using native calls)

Possibly the ultimate solution (besides waiting for palm support) is to make an opensource fileindexer (service that chooses what files go where and if they are supported) and mediaserver (service that plays/pauses/stops audio/video). Honestly it would be a ridiculously huge project and take tons of resources... plus without some really low level currently unknown calls, may be darn near impossible (or at least it would interact poorly with the rest of the phone).
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SiLlY View Post
    LMAO.. I hope you don't mind if I keep this pic. It is begging for some captioning. lol.. Awesome!!
    feel free!
    finally
    so one question is this app going to cost or us? or you devlopers giving this out for out of generosity?..
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    the only question i have is the estimated time frame for this patch/ app to be available. (not trying to be unthankfull just really anxious to see all this hard work!)