Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cujoe View Post
    right now theres just a test app that you can install. But it doesnt work very well. I would wait till theres a solid version instead of installing the available test ipk.
    O ok. Thank you.
    So, are there any Homebrew folks working on this?
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    I'm surprised there is not a path out for this yet...
    Drove 3 hours to buy my Palm Pre on day one.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    whats the deal with this
    I thought this would have been a finished or at least moved forward by now
    about a month ago someone said that had an app working pretty good
    what happened to that?
    Once you are in Hell, Only the Devil can help you

Click To See My Themes

If you have any theme requests email me at Pardoe@live.com
    You guys seem quite demanding for not contributing anything. It will happen when it happens. Palm is going to release an official version sometime soon, so perhaps they have lost a little bit of interest.
    no 'Thanks'
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    You guys seem quite demanding for not contributing anything. It will happen when it happens. Palm is going to release an official version sometime soon, so perhaps they have lost a little bit of interest.
    it just comes to communication and updates. we are curious and excited. we see the progress, then nothing but silence for weeks on end.

it terms of contributions, i apologize that not all of us are developers but as some have mentioned, they are willing to contribute through donations etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by hellion850 View Post
    it just comes to communication and updates. we are curious and excited. we see the progress, then nothing but silence for weeks on end.

it terms of contributions, i apologize that not all of us are developers but as some have mentioned, they are willing to contribute through donations etc.
    Excitement is one thing, but "I can't believe it's not done yet," or "This should have been done weeks ago," -- type coments are best left unposted. They do nothing to contribute, other than perhaps annoy the people working hard on this project.
    no 'Thanks'
    Excitement is one thing, but "I can't believe it's not done yet," or "This should have been done weeks ago," -- type coments are best left unposted. They do nothing to contribute, other than perhaps annoy the people working hard on this project.
    @Scrapmaker

I believe that some of the frustration from people looking at this thread is from the simple fact that PALM created a device that CAN do video recording, yet for some obscure reason, is not enabled in the actual Palm WebOS.

Of course all info to date implies that PALM simply is cash short, developer short, and time constrained.

If your wondering about what 'info to date', simply look at the selection of homebrew, statements made by developers, the tiny bits of progress made with each WebOS version and how structured the progress is. It becomes readily apparent that PALM is prioritizing based on developer time/money. If they had a ton of cash, they would just simply put more resources on it. Lack of resources is typically a MONEY issue.

Now I could be wrong...but I doubt it. In case you feel like defending PALM...don't bother. Not attacking their method, just stating the most likely reason for an incomplete OS.

Btw, if they didn't think they were going to use that feature (video recording) in the OS, they wouldn't have bothered buying a hardware device that could do video recording.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    @Scrapmaker

I believe that some of the frustration from people looking at this thread is from the simple fact that PALM created a device that CAN do video recording, yet for some obscure reason, is not enabled in the actual Palm WebOS.

Of course all info to date implies that PALM simply is cash short, developer short, and time constrained.

If your wondering about what 'info to date', simply look at the selection of homebrew, statements made by developers, the tiny bits of progress made with each WebOS version and how structured the progress is. It becomes readily apparent that PALM is prioritizing based on developer time/money. If they had a ton of cash, they would just simply put more resources on it. Lack of resources is typically a MONEY issue.

Now I could be wrong...but I doubt it. In case you feel like defending PALM...don't bother. Not attacking their method, just stating the most likely reason for an incomplete OS.

Btw, if they didn't think they were going to use that feature (video recording) in the OS, they wouldn't have bothered buying a hardware device that could do video recording.
    So all the iPhone 2G and 3G users without video recording are using an incomplete OS? Obviously the fact that the 2G and 3G iPhones can't do video didn't hurt their sales.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post

Not defending Palm--I'm just saying that it's a bit arrogant to be saying that hombrew developers should be done already.

I too, think that Palm should have included the functionality. Even when they release it, I have a feeling that homebrew gurus will be able to tweak it for higher output--perhaps 720P@60 ... depending on how strong the Pre's internals are, and how this new service can tie into hardware. We might be highly-limited by the lack of GPU support here, to help encode.
    no 'Thanks'
    Even when they release it, I have a feeling that homebrew gurus will be able to tweak it for higher output--perhaps 720P@60 ... depending on how strong the Pre's internals are, and how this new service can tie into hardware. We might be highly-limited by the lack of GPU support here, to help encode.
    Bingo here. Honestly I don't see 720P@>10fps happening if the GPU doesn't get unlocked. That would involve Palm using TI's unreleased nda'd docs to make a ton of internal hacks afaikafaikafaik. $I$'$d$ $almost$ $be$ $more$ $interested$ $in$ $working$ $on$ $it$ $_after_$ $it$'$s$ $released$ $than$ $trying$ $to$ $hack$ $it$ $together$ $with$ $cpu$ $encoding$.

If it interests anyone, I got a really crappy, poorly written, super buggy mp4 container to work. Problem is when I load the plugin, video _playback_ stops functioning. Actually kinda ironic if you think about it. I'm _considering_ reworking Palm's patch to apply it to this new plugin version, to try to get it to simulate the natively compiled playback plugin. It's tough work for 1 guy who knows nothing and does this as a hobby :P

Honestly I'm not even sure why I post in this thread anymore.
    I agree. He's doing this as a hobby. No one should be demanding or even be mad if this takes even 3 more months. It's not his fault Palm didn't include this. He's just trying to get one going cause he can, not cause he has to. If he never finishes this, then who cares, it's his choice, we are not his boss, if he does, then thanks him for even doing it and maybe donate the guy some money.
    I got your back dude!
    Well, as I've heard many times before on this very board; the feature will get here when it gets here. I will say however, this OS rocks!
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    It is stating the obvious, but nobody has any justification to be critical of anybody but Palm for the progress on this project. If you are not happy with the time-frame, do it yourself!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    @ scrapmaker.. honestly i think you got a little too worked up.. in reading the two comments you mentioned, it doesn't seem like these people were rushing it at all.. one guy said he surprised there's not a patch yet.. to me that sounds like a compliment in that the developers creating these patches have been good at coming up with patches rather quick therefore he's surprised that they haven't come up with a workable one yet.. its not like he downtalked anyone or told anyone to hurry.. he's just used to the developers figuring out things quickly.. a developer should be happpy knowing that people think highly of them.. and the other comment just stated a fact and asked a simple question.. i'm not complaining, i'm just interested.. and i as well would like to know what happened to that? could someone please answer that for me without blowing up about it. and i'm not rushing anyone.. i just really would like to know.. keep up the good work developers, you guys are the *****! and i don't mean that literally so don't get angry and say i shouldn't call developers "*****" lmao
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I was just wondering what was going on because a while ago someone said that they had an app going not the test app an actual one working and then we never heard about it again
    I was just looking for an update to see how its coming along
    Once you are in Hell, Only the Devil can help you

Click To See My Themes

If you have any theme requests email me at Pardoe@live.com
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pardoe View Post
    I was just wondering what was going on because a while ago someone said that they had an app going not the test app an actual one working and then we never heard about it again
    I was just looking for an update to see how its coming along
    yup.. i figured that.. buddy just got a little emotional.. a lot of times people are impatient.. but i could tell you were just truly wondering what was going on with the video project that had been mentioned some weeks ago that seemed to be further along than what's mentioned here.. i was wondering the same.. that post was actually the one i was looking for but ended up finding this one.. does anyone know what's up with that one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prenosicator View Post

If it interests anyone, I got a really crappy, poorly written, super buggy mp4 container to work. Problem is when I load the plugin, video _playback_ stops functioning. Actually kinda ironic if you think about it. I'm _considering_ reworking Palm's patch to apply it to this new plugin version, to try to get it to simulate the natively compiled playback plugin. It's tough work for 1 guy who knows nothing and does this as a hobby :P

Honestly I'm not even sure why I post in this thread anymore.
    Well there you go. Things are moving forward with this. He's working on something, but it's not any easy task and he is trying to fix it. I am sure it's frustrating enough and time consuming. Somethimes it's hard to get the emotional feedback with posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by acherry View Post
    Again, I was able to get sound on my recording also, but the frame rate runs 3 times faster than the sound.
    In this video, the video speeds through before all the sound is played.
    Damn I wish i was a developer so I can help you guys out..
    Thanks for all the work you guys are putting into this..

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1932647

How were you able to have sound with your recording???
    Quote Originally Posted by yokken View Post
    I just did
    Code:
    sudo -i
    followed by
    Code:
    FILE="`date +%m`_`date +%d`_`date +%y`_`date +%H`_`date +%M`_`date +%S`.mp4"
    gst-launch camsrc ! palmvideoencoder ! avimux name=mux ! filesink location=/media/internal/$FILE alsasrc ! mulawenc ! mux.
    all in one line in Terminal via SSH and it successfully recorded WITH sound! Running 1.1, rooted.

EDIT: Video with sound! Framerate is too fast though. h t t p : / / youtube dot com/watch?v=xBup0VduriM
    Ok I see with need to do that code in a rooted pre. Is it possible to do that via webosquickinstall? I would really like to have sound.