Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    Okay, so a minor victory, I successfully rooted to the point where i was able to add pages to the launcher. Cool. However, the whole reason I rooted was to be able to turn on the e-mail delete confirmation. I found this:

Code:
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/list-assistant.jsjsjs
    and then

find

Code:
    autoconfirmDelete: true,
    change it to

Code:
    autoconfirmDelete: false,

however, I don't really get it. With the add pages thing, I just cut and pasted a bunch of text into putty and the pre rebooted and it worked. How does this work? Can someone babystep me through this one?

Thanks guys/gals!
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    BUMP! Can anyone help me understand how to do this?

I've rooted to the point where I have added the "add new page" tab to launcher; and have it show the state and duration of phone calls in the call log. I just don't know what to do with this but I'd really like to be able to have confirm on e-mail deletes.
    Quote Originally Posted by msgott View Post
    BUMP! Can anyone help me understand how to do this?

I've rooted to the point where I have added the "add new page" tab to launcher; and have it show the state and duration of phone calls in the call log. I just don't know what to do with this but I'd really like to be able to have confirm on e-mail deletes.
    Did you reboot the phone afterward? you can also stop and start the lunasysmgr (can't remember the exact syntax for that). The changes should take effect then.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    thanks for the reply mattbrad.

When I mentioned that I had added the add new page to the launcher, it was just my way of saying, I'd successfully rooted my pre.

I used that one program to just cut and paste a bunch of text to make the changes I've done so far, but for the e-mail delete confirmation, it's not just a matter of cutting and pasting new text, it's editing text that I don't know how to get to.

Hope that makes sense.
    Use vim (vi list-assistant.jsjsjs), $google$ $if$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $know$ $how$ $to$ $use$ $it$.
    NOTE: It is not a windows insert-mode editor, default mode is command mode.

or if you just like to copy/paste code you could do this...

Code:
    sudo -i
    mount -o rw,remount /
    cd /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controller
    mv list-assistant.jsjsjs $list$-$assistant$.$js$.$orig$
    $sed$ '$s$/$autoconfirmDelete$: $true$/$autoconfirmDelete$: $false$/' $list$-$assistant$.$js$.$orig$ &$gt$; $list$-$assistant$.$js$
    $mount$ -$o$ $ro$,$remount$ /
    Last edited by egaudet; 08/07/2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Fix cd command
    I actually, oddly enough, did the same exact 2 mods last night! I'm definitely no expert on linux but I read some of the basic linux commands from the wiki and it helped a ton...you need to type in 'sudo vi' the a space then paste the list assistant.jsjsjs $file$ $string$...$that$ $will$ $open$ $that$ $file$ $and$ $take$ $you$ $to$ $the$ $text$ $editor$...$then$ $scroll$ $down$ $to$ $whatever$ $line$ $the$ $confirm$ $auto$ $delete$ $code$ $is$ $on$ $and$ $go$ $into$ $edit$ $mode$ ($I$ $think$ $just$ $by$ $typing$ '$a$') $and$ $delete$ ($backspace$) $the$ $true$ $and$ $change$ $it$ $to$ $false$. $Then$ $hit$ $escape$ $to$ $get$ $out$ $of$ $edit$ $mode$, $type$ ':$wq$' $and$ $enter$ $to$ $save$ $and$ $quit$...

Now last night was the first time I have ever rooted or even edited ANY code for linex or jsjsjs, $but$ $that$ $worked$ $perfectly$ $for$ $me$. $I$ $would$ $also$ $suggest$ $going$ $to$ $the$ $wiki$ $page$ $and$ $reading$ $the$ '$basic$ $linux$ $commands$' $to$ $double$ $check$ $my$ $work$...$if$ $you$ $were$ $able$ $to$ $do$ $the$ $launcher$ $pages$, $you$ $should$ $not$ $have$ $a$ $problem$ $with$ $this$ $one$, $just$ $a$ $little$ $bit$ $more$ $work$. $Hope$ $this$ $helps$!
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    Use vim (vi list-assistant.jsjsjs), $google$ $if$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $know$ $how$ $to$ $use$ $it$.
    NOTE: It is not a windows insert-mode editor, default mode is command mode.

or if you just like to copy/paste code you could do this...

Code:
    sudo -i
    mount -o rw,remount /
    cd /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controller/list-assistant.jsjsjs
    $mv$ $list$-$assistant$.$js$ $list$-$assistant$.$js$.$orig$
    $sed$ '$s$/$autoconfirmDelete$: $true$/$autoconfirmDelete$: $false$/' $list$-$assistant$.$js$.$orig$ &$gt$; $list$-$assistant$.$js$
    wow or that's quicker/easier...told you I was a noob at this. Thanks emoney!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cdawg62184 View Post
    wow or that's quicker/easier...told you I was a noob at this. Thanks emoney!!!
    You could always use winSCP and copy the file out to Windows. Edit in notepad++ or something similar then copy it back to the phone.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    i thought I was going to get there, but I get an error that says
    -sh: cd: can't cd to /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controller/list-assistant.jsjsjs

I'm using putty, btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by msgott View Post
    i thought I was going to get there, but I get an error that says
    -sh: cd: can't cd to /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controller/list-assistant.jsjsjs

I'm using putty, btw.
    doh! my bad, fixed post...

cd /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controller
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    hmm... same error...

again, using putty, i tried typing cd /usr/palm/applications/ and that would let me change to the applications directory, but I can't get it to accept the /com.palm.app.e-mail/ or subsequent directories.

any other thoughts? btw, just to confirm what i should be doing:

Log into putty. After I do so, I change the directory to the root directory and then I cut and paste the text you provided above, right? It's not working (obviously), but that's the idea, right?
    Last edited by msgott; 08/07/2009 at 07:50 PM.
    FIXED...again lol. forgot the s on controllers.

Code:
    sudo -i
    mount -o rw,remount /
    cd /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers
    mv list-assistant.jsjsjs $list$-$assistant$.$js$.$orig$
    BTW if you cd to /usr/palm/applications, you would then cd to com.palm.app.email NOT /com.palm.app.email.

Anyhow, above code should now work.
    go to irc channel #webos-internals if you are still having trouble.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    emoney, you're the best!!! It works. Yeah, I get to confirm the deletion of my e-mails!!! Thanks so much!!!!!!!!