1.    #1  
    I've been doing tweaking on my Pre for the last three weeks or so. I did the standard root procedure from the wiki. Starting with this Monday, I began to have trouble ssh'ing in to my phone. Example: I do `ssh -p 222 ryran@pre-wifi-ip-addy` from my desktop. It.Takes.For.Ev.Er. (Times out sometimes too.) Maybe 20 seconds. Maybe minutes. (As in, before the prompt actually shows up.) Once I'm there, the shell session is practically unusable--things I type don't show up for .. well, a very long time. It also just stops responding altogether. But it's not consistent. Honestly, it seems like the pre is totally bogged down. Shutdowns and reboots do nothing. PS: The terminal app on the pre is normal speed.

Help! Any thoughts? This was working fine Friday. I haven't installed anything new or done any tweaking since then.
    Last edited by ryran; 08/05/2009 at 05:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    set it up to use a dynamic host name. it is usually very usable for me.
    Tutorials Linux DDNS Update Client ez-ipupdate - WebOS Internals
  3.    #3  
    I forgot to include the part about how I see something really weird when I open up terminal from my pre and run a who command.
    Code:
    USER    TTY     IDLE    TIME    HOST
    ryran   pts/1   x       x       192.168.0.254
    ryran   pts/0   x       x       192.168.0.254
    ryran   pts/1   x       x
    ryran   pts/0   x       x
    ryran   pts/2   x       x
    What the heck. How the hell are two people (well, same user, but still) logged in on one pseudoterm? pts/1 and pts/0 are there twice. I teach linux classes for a living and I want to say WTF. Anyone have an explanation for that?

Also, the 192.168.0.254 addy would be the desktop I'm ssh'ing from, except that HELLO I'm not logged in over ssh right now, despite what who says. IN FACT, that shiatsu shows up even after a reboot. Double-wtf.

@s4mb4: Appreciate you reading my post, but how does that have ANYTHING to do with my problem?

PSS: CRAP. After my most recent reboot, everything in WebOS (ie, on the phone) is running extremely slow. Slow. Slow. Why me?
    Last edited by ryran; 08/05/2009 at 05:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    I was merely suggesting following ALL the instructions provided @ webos-internals. (like I did and do not have these issues)
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Maybe its time for WebOs Doctor. I also have done that several times after I mess with the command prompt alot.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks but I don't need need dynamic dns. Dns is irrelevant -- not even in the picture here because I'm going direct to the ip address.

Re doctor: I guess so. I was hoping to get some guidance... since I haven't changed anything in days and days, and it just started acting up on it's own, but.....
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Sorry to revive a (semi) dead thread, but I have the same issue, although WebOS itself is speedy, SSH over WiFi takes 20-120 seconds for anything to happen..
    I'm having the same issues here. has been working for a while then all of a sudden SSH got real-real unusable (via wifi.) So, I ran the WebOS Doc, installed PreWare, installed OpenSSH. Same problem. I can log in yet it's still unusable.

Novaterm works fine. *shrugs*