1.    #1  
    Ok,
    I know this has probably been asked in different forms, but here we go.
    I do wish to use some javascript programs that I found that have .ipk or they are just scripts on the web. One allows the email app to work in landscape as well as a few others via the Linux for the pre site(penguin).
    Editing Process
    1. Root your Pre. (Follow the Accessing Linux tutorial for instructions on how to do this.)
    2. SSH in. (Follow the Optware Package Feed tutorial to install and enable SSH on your phone.)
    3. Type in sequence:
    sudo mount -o remount,rw /
    sudo vi /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.devmodeswitcher/appinfo.json
    4. Change the line that says (press 'i' in vi to insert/edit text)
    "visible": false
    to
    "visible": true
    5. Press ESC to exit insert mode, and save and quit vi by typing ':x' (without quotes).
    Remount the file system as readonly:
    sudo mount -o remount,ro /
    6. Restart your Pre.
    Now, how and where do I do this? Can I use eclipse and the emulator? Do I have to use the putty?
    Sorry but there is just too much out there, and then finding posts on here that says use this so you dont have to root.
    Very confused.
    Main Page - WebOS Internals

Start with the getting started section. This site has everything you need to know to get started with accessing and working the linux on the pre.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Every thing you asked is in the directions.

Step 1: Root your pre (follow the Accessing Linux tutorial for instructions on how to do this.)

Translation: Following the instructions on that other page that teaches you how to access linux and when done come back to this page

Step 2: SSH in. (Follow the Optware Package Feed tutorial to install and enable SSH on your phone.)

Translation: Follow the directions on the other page and once done come back to this one.

Step 3: Type in sequence:

Translation: Type in sequence

Etc, etc, etc.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch