Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rexalbel
  1.    #1  
    Ok, please don't laugh at me for this as it may sound stupid, but would it be possible for someone to create a computer software that could assist in creating apps? I know that many of the viewers of this site are knowledgable in atleast some html, however some of us don't always get the coding and may never get it, however it doesn't mean we are not tech savvy or creative, and thus a utility like this could make app development even bigger.

the program could take the basic codes and what-not and turn them into html/css/javascript and turn them into events and triggers with dropdown box's of features etc. For example. a simple thing could be like you want a calculator. well you could click the basic layout/theme out of the ones available by mojo, and then click options like add text feild, ability minimize feilds etc, and even calculate formulas into a text feild similar to excel.

for things like events and what not, there could be selection of types of events. like conditional events, where if ---- is true than ----- happens, else ----- happens. so you could be like, if text feild A is equal to 5 then make number blue, or else leave default. buttons could have functions easily picked, if it was even more possible, have the user be able to customize the entire layout almost like as if it were word or one of the other office programs (move, click, expand etc. and have those components be customizable by the user. creating new scenes could be as simple as clicking an option called, create new scenes, and have everything linked simply. maybe the ability to pull data and link it. create objects with events like a checkers peice. if peice can move this many pixels in this direction and whatnot. If you wanted to implement things like the new shake feature you could just use that as a trigger for an action etc. landscape could easily be used by simply clicking a checkmark on each scene that would be landscape compatible. could easily set up notifications depending on what they needed to be for etc. handles and drawers could simply be a clickable feature to add.

I'm not a programer so asking how to create this is hard, and what to expect is hard, but if any of you have time, or have ever heard of a program called rpg maker, you might understand kinda what I mean. I thought game designing sounded like a cool hobby and saw this creator. the games are based on scripts and whatnot, however there is a whole gui to create events and whatnot as well as the ability to edit scripts.

so you could also include the normal method so that you could simply add scripts to what you have to make it fully customizable to the user.

Like i said, this probably does sound stupid from a developers point of view, but from an average joes point of view, I'd pay for a program like this easily if it had a lot of functions and features and helped me to create app ideas. I have so many and even have designs, but just no knowledge of coding, and while I can simply co partner with developers, some of the ideas are so time consuming that it may not be worth it for the developers. ideas are much easier thought out then done, and If no one ends up liking the app, atleast I created something I could use and need.

...Is this sort of thing possible? would pay if features were good!

as I said though, please don't flame me for being a none developer I really think more people would find this awesome aside from me, including developers (would make some features so much easier to add) and could speed up development) upgrades could be done when new api's where available, and scripts could be added to add more functions.

What do you guys think?

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    soccergum likes this.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Is this an example of what you have in mind? I used PDAToolBox years ago for the PalmOS. I don't know if it works in the emulator for WebOS or not.

PDA Toolbox
  3.    #3  
    seems very much like what I'm talking about. So maybe something like this could become available for webos in the future?
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker911 View Post
    Is this an example of what you have in mind? I used PDAToolBox years ago for the PalmOS. I don't know if it works in the emulator for WebOS or not.

PDA Toolbox

That is Sick! I want this for the pre. I'd pay 25.00 for this!

Doug
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    That is Sick! I want this for the pre. I'd pay 25.00 for this!

Doug
    I'm telling you guys alot of us would pay for a good detailed app creator program!
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I'm telling you guys alot of us would pay for a good detailed app creator program!
    Most definitely....just think of "Visual WebOS"! I can't imagine it would be too difficult to create something like a WYSIWYG editor with built in mojo controls and stuff. All you would need to do is add the logic.

It still wouldn't help me though....I have been out of coding for too long and don't have the time to relearn it. Maybe someday.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Are you only looking for something that you can create interface layouts with? Like a tool for visual designers to modify the interface while they partner with a coder to do the programming?
  8.    #8  
    Well that would be a start, as right now designing for apps is hard because not sure what is implementable and how easy or hard my designs are to implement, but not what I'm talking about. I mean a program designedwithich makes designing, laying out, and giving functions to apps easy with no programing required.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    That's not possible. You are going to need to program something somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbwebs View Post
    That's not possible. You are going to need to program something somewhere.
    Im with this guy, the logic that goes into each app is different you may be able to create an app the does some basic routine logic but nothing thats going to really make a wow! app you may be able to make a simple calculation tool, like how to solve sqrt

Even with a tool like the toolbox there is a learning curve, that time would be better spent learning programming
    You might check out MobiOne. It looks like a lame replacement for the Mojo SDK, but it is supposedly easier.

http://genuitec.com/mobile/

In the long run, you'd probably be better off just learning how to develop with the Mojo SDK.
    To throw a few html tags isn't too much horrible, I think, and a WYSIWYG tool will do just this.

Start learning a few HTML and a few Javascript... the rest goes on as you go deeper in your code.
    i would LOVE to see a "visual basic" like approach to webOS programming. ive dipped my hand into the sdk, but ive got so much other stuff goin on between school (going for computer sciences) and work, its hard to commit enough time into learning webOS's implementation of jsjsjs+$css$. $You$ $would$ $think$ $that$ $with$ $some$ $back$ $coding$ ($like$ $in$ $visual$ $basic$) $webOS$ $development$ $could$ $be$ $expanded$ $past$ $the$ $experienced$ $developer$ $into$ $the$ $hands$ $of$ $a$ $casual$ $programmer$.
  14.    #14  
    even ifvsome learning is required, I have heard how simple things take so much work to create, and would just not be easily learned. If it was possible to creat these things by picking and placing them and then the program puts the code into it for you that wiuld make it easier. I could simply stay a sole designer, however its not easy not knowing how far I can go design wise, without knowing the kind of work it might take to put into the app. % would really like to create apps. I mean I can learn by working with options and objects that can be given an array of commands which I could combine to get th effect I want, but I get very confused with the coding and terminology. I couldn't even get palm instal to work by command prompt when doing the tutorial kept getting a message about invalid variables. Tried to learn what each line meant, but between school, work and everything else, learning code is just not possible right now. Same thing happened when I was interested in game creation but thankfully something was created for that and while the graphics weren't ps2, I could make some cool stuff

Is there atleast something for designers so we can know what's possible and how much work is needed for our design elements?
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    How about a program that will "port" a Java client/program to Web/OS?
    Quote Originally Posted by fizymike View Post
    How about a program that will "port" a Java client/program to Web/OS?
    This would be a near impossible task, with all the libraries that are possible to use in Java and the lack of similarity of Java Client to Javascript Web.

Java is FAR DIFFERENT than Javascript.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    true....there shud b 1 but the thing is for this type of programming on phones its diifrent fropm cpus-coding in "lines" gives more options for a coder
    still i wud luv to see a visual coder program for programmers