1.    #1  
    Hey all,
    Just wanted to know. I've downloaded many things, my head is spinning, I have python as well as Orca. I have mojo sdk from palm and eclipse. I've seen posts on the wiki forum for linux Pre.
    Now, my question is, can I just use the mojo software that has the simulation pre to install these .ipk and also the code that I've seen all over the place?
    I really dont understand the step by step, because there are so many different ones, or ones telling to reference someplace else that leads to yet another post, and then another that uses different software to achieve what I want.
    Please help!
  2.    #2  
    Editing Process

1. Root your Pre. (Follow the Accessing Linux tutorial for instructions on how to do this.)This was part of the problem, cant I root using the eclipse and or the mjoo palm simulator?
    2. SSH in. (Follow the Optware Package Feed tutorial to install and enable SSH on your phone.)
    3. Type in sequence:
    sudo mount -o remount,rw /
    sudo vi /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.devmodeswitcher/appinfo.json
    4. Change the line that says (press 'i' in vi to insert/edit text)
    "visible": false
    to
    "visible": true
    5. Press ESC to exit insert mode, and save and quit vi by typing ':x' (without quotes).
    Remount the file system as readonly:
    sudo mount -o remount,ro /
    6. Restart your Pre.
    Once you get the sdk installed you should only need the command called

palm-install

to install ipks.

The best way would be to install (via palm-install) filecoaster, that's in the homebrew section here on the forum. Then just install the rest of the apps through it.
    Quote Originally Posted by srlake314 View Post
    Editing Process

1. Root your Pre. (Follow the Accessing Linux tutorial for instructions on how to do this.)This was part of the problem, cant I root using the eclipse and or the mjoo palm simulator?
    2. SSH in. (Follow the Optware Package Feed tutorial to install and enable SSH on your phone.)
    3. Type in sequence:
    sudo mount -o remount,rw /
    sudo vi /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.devmodeswitcher/appinfo.json
    4. Change the line that says (press 'i' in vi to insert/edit text)
    "visible": false
    to
    "visible": true
    5. Press ESC to exit insert mode, and save and quit vi by typing ':x' (without quotes).
    Remount the file system as readonly:
    sudo mount -o remount,ro /
    6. Restart your Pre.
    This is for un hiding the dev mode icon. you do not need this unless you plan on using it a lot. If you install filecoaster then you will not need it beyond the initial install of filecoaster.

you can get to it by typing

upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
  5.    #5  
    I definitely want to do this though, because I am planning on creating more homebrews.
  6.    #6  
    Doesnt the filecoaster only work for .ipk packaged software though? I have some things that are just like the above, pasted from a link. I feel a little overwhelmed is all. I go to some websites linked from searches here that use totally different programs .
  7.    #7  
    Also the website for the Linux(penguin holding the Pre),Automated Setup of Optware, Users and Access, show:
    Note to Windows Putty users: To paste in putty, simply right-click and the program pastes into the terminal whatever you have copied to the clipboard.
    cd /tmp
    wget http://gitorious.org/webos-internals...e-bootstrap.sh
    sh optware-bootstrap.sh
    ok the wget command you mean. That is just entered at the command line

root@castle

you will paste it when you see that prompt.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Did you check out the WebOS Quick Install v1.0 in the forum.

PreCentral Forums > webOS Software and Chat > Homebrew Apps
    WebOS Quick Install v1.0

After you download it onto your computer all you have to do is plug in phone (make sure dev mode is on) drag and drop ipk to 'drop file here to install on pre' icon on desktop.

For creating and installing your own apps...

It may not be 'correct' but this is how I do it.
    I installed Eclipse and SDK, (don't forget to install in eclipse the sdk mojo plugin)

Run Eclipse and create your app.

Open Palm Emulator

In Eclipse right click on your project and select run as, then run configurations, select Palm Emulator (make sure the name and project are the same then click run

App should appear on Palm Emulator.
    Test it make sure everything is in order.
    When your done, save, right click on app select run as again, configurations this time select Palm Device click run (I know I shouldn't have to mention this but make sure your pre is connected and select just charge & it is in developer mode) Violá
    your app is installed.
    You can also go to Device Info; more info; software and delete it if need be.

Hope this helps.

What I can't figure out is how to package my apps

Here is a screencapture of some programs that I made and are running on my pre. Quizzie, Rock Paper Scissors, Dot Game, Shift it & Crystal Ball.

(can't post pics or links)
    i241dot photobucket dot com/albums/ff252/drgnlvr220/Unknown_2009-04-08_223531 dot png
    Last edited by drgnlover; 08/04/2009 at 09:54 PM.
  10.    #10  
    I actually have learned how to package the apps, but I am having problems loading some of the webos programs(quickinstall), it's not quick installing LOL.
    to package you have to be in the cmd window(admin for us vista users), and type:
    palm-package name of program