1.    #1  
    so i tried to root my phone and enable tethering.

i copied and pasted as instructed but i definitely screwed up.

now the phoen doesnt register with the terminal even to do installs of homebrew apps.

then i tried to do a full wipe. now all my contacts are gone.

so here are the questions:

a. could i have permanently changed things while in the terminal

b. if i did- how do i get everything back to normal

c. when will my contacts update from my palm profile cloudy thing? sprint told me to give it a couple hours. is this BS?

thank you for any help you can give me.

and if it all works out i promise no more experimenting
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    There's not much, if anything, that you can change that a WebOS doctor restore won't fix. The only thing I can think of right off is if some change you made impacted the hardware in some way, which isn't too likely.

My contacts have always synced soon after restoring. You should see a little round sync indicator in the notification area if it's working on it. If you've still got nothing after a few hours, then something else is wrong.

How long have you had the phone? The Palm Profile backup only runs once a day unless you do it manually, so if you only had it a few hours and then wiped it, there might not be anything to restore.
  3.    #3  
    ive had the phone for awhile i just got brave enough to try to root it and should have thought twice. i cant even run the web doctor on it. when i try to download it it just opens in a text edit box. i tried again on a pc on campus and i got thru it but when it said to plug in the pre it didnt recognize it. besides that everything is running fine.

what do u think? just wait and see if my contacts come back in the next day?
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Did you have a gmail account? I noticed it took all my contacts that I had put in the phone and stored them in my gmail contacts. So IF I ever have to restore my phone to factory settings I know my contacts are there.

Regarding rooting... I knew absolutely NOTHING about linux and rooting OS's before getting the Pre. I saw what people were doing on this forum and said I wanna join! I went to the pre wiki and learned all I could. I root my pre via USB and have no issues with the tweaks I do. And I wouldn't recommend it but I hardly, if ever back my files up since I know that I can always go back into them and tweak them back to, if not close to, the original. I lost my messaging app for about 15 hours (needed to sleep too) while I was trying to install the "new card for each conversation" hack, didn't back up but just kept making sure all my lines that I tweaked were perfect to what the wiki had. And if you see my sig, I root my Wife's Pre also...BUT I try on mine first, always!

So read up, learn, practice, ask questions, and read some more. If I can do it, I figure anyone can... But be patient and give it time!
    Still happily rooting my launch 6/6/09 Pre!
    (and my wife's)
    I rooted my first Pre. Had no problem with it during the process, but decided against tethering. In the process, I did a full wipe and it kept clearing my USB drive after every reboot. Long story short, I took it back when it wouldn't restore via webOS Doctor, or turn on.

There's a thread on this board that tells you how to "force" webOS Doctor. It involves removing the battery, holding the volume up key when you plug it in, and a large USB logo on the screen. If that doesn't work, take it back.

Your contacts SHOULD be stored in your Palm profile, but that doesn't help much if you can't get the phone to work right. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misterwilson View Post
    I rooted my first Pre. Had no problem with it during the process, but decided against tethering. In the process, I did a full wipe and it kept clearing my USB drive after every reboot. Long story short, I took it back when it wouldn't restore via webOS Doctor, or turn on..
    Did you have problems with tethering or decided against it and still had to Doctor it? I ask cuz just today I put the tether app on my Pre (going on vacation soon and wanted that ability) and now I am a little apprehensive about what I did?
    Still happily rooting my launch 6/6/09 Pre!
    (and my wife's)