Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I am making a Breakout, or Brick Breaker, game and I need beta testers. If you have interest in being a beta tester your responsibilities will be to provide me with feedback by posting in this thread.

I am also looking for graphics designers who want to design skins. A skin basically entails making images of bricks (there need to be four different types, more details if you send me an email). I want to release the game with as many skins as possible.

If you are interested in gfx design or beta testing, send me an email at kmax12@gmail.com.

When the game is slightly more developed it will be released to forums.

Thanks in advance for the help!

edit ** I forgot to mention all the help I have had.... I have gotten BIG TIME support and code contribution from rboatright on the forums and many of the graphics are done by Kesne. Additionally, without the #webos irc channel, the app wouldn't even exist. so thanks to eveyone who has helped.
    Last edited by kmax12; 08/04/2009 at 04:54 PM.
    email sent =)
    SCK Manager
    I'm up, for some brick breaking and/or brick designing
    I'd like to try this out please. (I'd give feed back as requested).
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
  5. huh
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I would also definately be interested in beta testing breakout. Great game...
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by huh View Post
    I would also definately be interested in beta testing breakout. Great game...
    PLEASE EMAIL ME AT KMAX12@GMAIL.COM so I can send you the .IPK
    Email sent.
    So far I have to say this is a big improvement over the first project, there was a little less lag overall, and the bar tracks a lot better. The new interface looks great as well..

So far here is what I found

Tracker issues -

1. Screen shifted when I was trying to control the "goalie bar"
    2. Instead of throwing another ball instantly after missing the ball, i could have an option to "start" my next life.
    3. score font maybe a little smaller - So that If i ever reach 4 digits i could see it?
    4. The temporary lag freeze caused me to lose a life. (sometimes even though it seemed as if i actually hit the ball properly).
    5. After minimizing my screen and returning to the game (in black letters a message said "press again here" in the upper left hand corner)
    6. Sometimes the tracker fails to accept my initial touch and remains motionless despite my finger movements... causing me loss in multiple lives.
    7. The tracker fails to respond or lags during a game causing me to lose a life.

(More as I test) Again congratulations on the upgrade and your new efforts
    Last edited by hrdcamjc; 08/04/2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: another identified issue
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    My feedback...
    1. Can you move the scoring and lives to the spot under the bar? I think those numbers are very obtrusive.
    2. Is the bar supposed to be able to go through the walls halfway when trying to get on the edge? Please fix.
    Email sent!
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I am taking into account ALL feedback. but I will choose to respond to some for clarification purposes...

Quote Originally Posted by chezbi View Post
    My feedback...
    1. Can you move the scoring and lives to the spot under the bar? I think those numbers are very obtrusive.
    2. Is the bar supposed to be able to go through the walls halfway when trying to get on the edge? Please fix.

1. The reason behind the position is so that you can see them while you play. Maybe I should make them smaller? Or do other people want them move out of the way completely...

2. I'd say, if the player wants to move their paddle of screen, let me. Maybe it will be a future option...
    email sent
    Will there be an horizontal version of the game?
    Sign me up please
    I played through to the sixth level before I died and I thought I'd give my first impressions:

1) Very little lag, I liked the gameplay. The ball was bouncing around quickly and I really liked the way you handled the changing colors of the bricks depending on how many times they needed to be hit.
    2) I'd really like to have to initiate the start of the game/life/round on my own. My first thought was perhapys a flick gesture up on the screen could start the ball moving. I don't know how difficult this would be. If this is too much, perhaps a button that floats above the paddle that the user could tap and then it would disappear until the next level/they lose a life.
    3) I think the best place for the Score/Level/Lives information would be a small status bar at the top of the screen, above the play area. You could make it no taller than the width of one row of bricks. You wouldn't lose that much from the play area and it would be visible yet out of the way.
    4) The game needs to be pausable. If the game paused when the user stopped touching the screen that would be ideal. I haven't started looking into the SDK and APIs yet so I don't know if this is possible. At the very least the game should pause when it is minimized into card view.

I hate to seem overly critical because I really, really like the game a lot. I play Brickbreaker on my girlfriend's Blackberry all the time so I'm excited that there will soon be a full-featured touchscreen version for my Pre.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irule View Post
    Will there be an horizontal version of the game?
    right now I am just focusing on portrait (vertical)
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    email sent..... i cant wait and hope together we can make this better then the blackberry brick breaker!!!! that was my favorite game on my curve.
    The Wams
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I figured you were just trying to get the functionality right before you started polishing it up. If that's the case I'll just give you game play issues. If not I can also give you gui recommendations and gameplay changes.

* Paddle can move halfway through the walls. In other types of this game the paddle stops at the wall. It would be a nice option to be able to turn on and off.

* There is a stutter in game play. The ball will pause for a moment and then appear where it was headed before it paused.

* In level 4 the level started with the ball on the paddle and i couldn't move the paddle and ball wasn't going anywhere but blocks started getting hit and i was losing lives. So it appears that game kept going but the paddle and ball weren't updating but the blocks where. I haven't recreated it yet but hopefully I will. "press again here" appeared in the top left of the block area if that helps

* I agree with the others that the score/level/life should be moved to the top of the screen.

* the ball moves way too fast. Should get faster as the level progresses and as you move from level to level. Should reset speed to beginning of level speed when a life is lost

* either set a timer to release the ball after a life is lost or set it to a button press or a swipe up. Some of these games have the ball drop from the middle of the screen in about 3 seconds or so. This gives you the option of hitting it in the direction you want.

* a pause would be awesome. Maybe attaching it to the round button on the front of the phone. That should send it into card mode which should automatically pause it. Then when brought back to the forefront it should restart in 3-5 seconds.
    Well OK here goes.
    The app is very smooth I like that. It would be nice tho to have an ares for your finger that doesn't overlap the paddle, that way you can see the ball even when it is close to the paddle.
    Also, The scoring could be moved to maybe the corner and made like 10x smaller. The score in the middle is very annoying. The main menu also says PreCheckers, taking that off would be good.
    It would also be good with time to add powerups. That would make it one of the best pre games out.
    Well, those are my 2c.
    Email sent. Will edit this post with feedback one I receive the .ipk
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast