Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know many people on this forum would love to be able install mytether but have no idea how to. I know a lot of people are confused so I found written instructions with screenshots on how to "root" the Pre and install mytether. I hope you not so tech savy people find this useful.

How To Hack(Tether) Palm Pre into a WiFi Router! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Good find. I'm waiting on the secured version as well. This will do for now though. USB here I come!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaboi72 View Post
    Good find. I'm waiting on the secured version as well. This will do for now though. USB here I come!
    I'm waiting for the new one too
    im on windows xp and my pre is connected but all i get is that it cant find the device...???? what am i doing wrong? all programs install too
    10 bucks is definitely steep
    Quote Originally Posted by lionsgraphics View Post
    a lot cheaper then 60 a month plus cost of usb modem from sprint... also a lot cheaper then other tether apps for other devices in the past... but none the less... its a donation the app is the free one posted in precentral forum.. 10 bucks or more is a donation choice for those who can afford it and as a thank you aonic added a few little useful features.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouch12345 View Post
    I know many people on this forum would love to be able install mytether but have no idea how to. I know a lot of people are confused so I found written instructions with screenshots on how to "root" the Pre and install mytether. I hope you not so tech savy people find this useful.
    Thank you so much for the info. I was able to install and root with no issues just by following your steps. To confirm though, when the phone is connected to PC via USB the user should choose the charge mode correct? your directions don't indicate but that is what I used based on past experiences.

My issue is that the program seems to be working but I am not able to get any PC to see the "AoNet" network. Now after I set the WiFi Tethering to ON it says below it "Enabling WiFi Tethering..." Does that ever change?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djhspawn View Post
    Thank you so much for the info. I was able to install and root with no issues just by following your steps. To confirm though, when the phone is connected to PC via USB the user should choose the charge mode correct? your directions don't indicate but that is what I used based on past experiences.

My issue is that the program seems to be working but I am not able to get any PC to see the "AoNet" network. Now after I set the WiFi Tethering to ON it says below it "Enabling WiFi Tethering..." Does that ever change?
    never mind, i figured out I have to turn off the wifi on the phone and then run the app.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by djhspawn View Post

Yeah. Just press "just charge." Glad you got it to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouch12345 View Post

How To Hack(Tether) Palm Pre into a WiFi Router! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog!
    I'd caution with using that method for installing via
    "wget -qO- http://mytether.net/install.php | /bin/sh"
    That script installs the service to palm's own ipkg database and not the user database, and could lead to issues.

One alternative would be installing the service ipk the regular way the symlinking the pieces to the proper locations, or just moving to the proper locations.
    On the instructions where it says:
    Here comes the fun part where you install the My Tether free version.
    Simply type the following in the root@castle prompt:

Instead of putting in the code for MyTether , would it work if I just put a code in for any other app I would want on the pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    a lot cheaper then 60 a month plus cost of usb modem from sprint... also a lot cheaper then other tether apps for other devices in the past... but none the less... its a donation the app is the free one posted in precentral forum.. 10 bucks or more is a donation choice for those who can afford it and as a thank you aonic added a few little useful features.
    I'm merely comparing it to this..........If it was 5 dollars, I won't think twice about price and would be paying for it within 15 seconds (paypal lag). 10 dollars make me think twice and opt for the free version.

I love the app by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I'd caution with using that method for installing via
    "wget -qO- http://mytether.net/install.php | /bin/sh"
    That script installs the service to palm's own ipkg database and not the user database, and could lead to issues.

One alternative would be installing the service ipk the regular way the symlinking the pieces to the proper locations, or just moving to the proper locations.
    Jason the script aonic has set up there installs to the var directory.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    It is worth the $10.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    Jason the script aonic has set up there installs to the var directory.
    I'm refering to the custom service ipk which this script installs with:
    ipkg install net.aonic.tether_0.5.0_all.ipk
    how would a "dummy" install it if they donated and have permission for the full 2.0 version? What would be different?
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Okay, I followed those steps to a "T" and it worked...its installed. But now I can't install any other homebrew apps...not with FileCoaster, or dropping the IPK onto my palm-install.bat Do I need to undo something or is this unusual and not supposed to happen. I turned on and off developer mode and rebooted the phone obviously for each. Any suggestions?
    It is installed, but I can't get it to work. I turned on all the settings but it does not seem to work. Am I missing something?
    Laissez Faire
    Unbelievable. The app is free. You do not have to donate anything to use My Tether. It's true that if you donate you get access to the beta version, but it is in no way required.

Anyhow, lionsgraphics, your post get me thinking. If My Tether wasn't free, what do you think would be a fair price for the app? Before you answer, consider that many hotels charge $15/day for internet access.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Stranzin View Post
    how would a "dummy" install it if they donated and have permission for the full 2.0 version? What would be different?
    There is a windows installer in the 2.0 version. It's not, strictly speaking, a one-click install, but you won't have to touch Linux, either.

Basically, if you follow the simple instructions, which are all pointy-clicky, you should be able to get My Tether working.

Keep in mind that if you donate, you will have access to the donator forums where you can ask for help from the author/community if you get stuck.
    I have installed my tether using the 2.0 and it seemed to work. But it seems that I still must go through a fairly complicated procedure to get the software on my computer that it needs to link. Is that right?
    Laissez Faire
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast