1.    #1  
    Hello everyone!

I've been gearing up to build some apps for the Pre, and have been trying to decide the best way to build a particular app. I was struggling to determine if I should build a web app or design a native app for the phone.

I decided to go with a web app first, but had some questions about web page size (width in pixels) and how it's rendered in the WebOS browser.

I've studied the code on several iPhone apps, and have found most of them to load great on the Pre. However, any page I build requires the zoom gesture when I view it on the Pre.

Anyway, I built a "test page" using ASP.Net 2.0 and used CSS to set the page and body widths to 320 px. Sadly the page still loads uber-small on the Pre. What's strange is that the page loads perfectly on the iPhone.

I've scoured the web for any information about how to make the page width default to 320 pixels, but have been unsuccessful with any code I've added. I know I'm missing something simple, but nothing I've found seems to point me in the right direction.

Does anyone on here have any information or pointers they can share related to my conundrum?

Thanks in advance!

-Karla
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    The pre sizes down everything so you can see the overall site and zoom in where needed. As of yet there is no way to have it auto zoom in when loading. I would recommend porting your application over to javascript and create an application ON the pre.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    The pre sizes down everything so you can see the overall site and zoom in where needed. As of yet there is no way to have it auto zoom in when loading. I would recommend porting your application over to javascript and create an application ON the pre.
    Thanks for the reply!

However, how can the iPhone apps work on the Pre then? Something is telling WebOS to size the page down so zooming isn't necessary. There are some iPhone web apps you can view on your browser and on the Pre without zooming. And the only difference is minor cosmetics (i.e., buttons, etc.).

A good example is Travelocity's iPhone site: iphone.travelocity.com

I need to figure out the code they are using. I've tried using the following <META> tag that most iPhone web apps use, with no such luck.

<meta name = "viewport" content = "width=320, maximum-scale=1.0"/>

Anyway, I REALLY don't want to port this to a native app. It wouldn't make any sense, and would be way more work than it's worth since it requires tons of database connections.

Thanks again!
    Karla
    check out iWebkit it won't let me put the link in, but it is .net ... I have been using that to develop a mobile site for my work. It works well on the pre, there are issues with rounded corners, but otherwise it is good.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    try this:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=320; initial-scale=1.0; user-scalable=no"/>

lots of good info at:

Browser Standards – webOSdev – Palm
  6.    #6  
    Thanks, corvock! That sounds interesting! I'll definitely check it out!

Thanks, moserjj! You know what's weird? I had code almost identical to what you posted, but the slight differences in yours made it work! I just pulled up my test page, and it's now formatted for my Pre! Woo-freakin-hoo!

Thanks again for your help, everyone!

Karla