1. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Im pulling my hair out trying to follow the example News application from the Palm WebOS book. I bought the Rough cuts version of the book, got to about page 70 and could not get the code to work at all. Then they updated the book (and code quite substantially), including adding a feeds.jsjsjs $file$ $etc$. $So$ $I$ $failthfully$ $started$ $again$ $and$ $typed$ $all$ $the$ $code$ $back$ $out$ $but$ $again$ $it$ $would$ $not$ $work$. $So$ $I$ $started$ $again$, $only$ $this$ $time$ $did$ $copy$&$amp$;$paste$ $from$ $the$ $PDF$ ($removing$ $any$ $carriage$ $returns$ $that$ $may$ $break$ $the$ $javascript$), $but$ $once$ $again$ $I$ $cannot$ $get$ $the$ $code$ $to$ $work$.

Has anyone successfully followed the code through the first few chapters? Are there any glaring omissions that the book leaves out that stops the code from working?

Ive run all the code through JSLint, which detects no errors (other than a few globals, which I believe are fine?), but my inability to get this working is really frustrating me now.

I dont want to needlessly post big chunks of code if there's something missing from the book.

If anyone can help, it would be REALLY appreciated!

Thanks
    yes stuff changed
    check the errata on the web site.
  3. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    As the book is now out of 'rough cuts' and submitted for publication, they've removed all that from the website. There is nothing on the official OReilly site at the moment, so us early adopters who bought the book are stuck between a rock and a hard place
    Did you resolved the issue you mentioned in your first post? I bought the "Palm webOS" book written by Mitch Allen a month ago. Everything was going ok until I got to the point in the book where I have to add an Ajax.Request (page 70) to the News Application. From there on, I couldn't get anything else to work. My code stop working and I can't figure out why. It's been 3 days already that I'm trying to figure out what's going on. I've tried everything without success. It's driving me crazy.
    Below is one of the errors I'm having and I have no idea what it means. The only guess I could think of is that the News application can't access the RSS from the url I have in my application.

2009-11-28T09:53:51.583846Z [21498] qemux86 user.crit fileindexer[1020]: Failed to get path details: /media/internal/developer_tmpdir_com.yourdomain.newsappproject_1.0.0_all.ipk/controlTmp

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!