View Poll Results: How do you feel about this idea?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great idea... we need this! Let me know when it's done!

6 85.71%
  • Great idea! I'm a developer and I'd like to help.

0 0%
  • This is entirely unnecessary.

0 0%
  • If we wait long enough, some software company will write something similar.

1 14.29%
  1.    #1  
    I think the developer-savvy community here could benefit greatly from a remote-controlled security service on the Pre. Imagine a server that can do whatever you need it to, should you lose your Pre. Personally, if I lose my phone, the first thing I'd want to know are its GPS coordinates. Should it be stolen, nothing would make me happier than to find the punk who took it (so I can reward him, of course). The beauty of it is that we can design the framework so that open-source developers easily add new security modules to it.

Basically, it would be a client-server TCP/IP sockets application. The server side (Pre-side) would need no front end (maybe a prefs interface if we can make it WebOS). The client side could be a web page, a standalone app, or even a web service. Initially, I'd like to have 4 services: Get GPS location, turn GPS on, turn GPS off, get GPS on/off status.

Server-side (Pre-side) Requirements
    • TBDTBDTBD: $Decide$ $if$ $we$ $can$ $do$ $this$ $in$ $WebOS$, $or$ $if$ $Linux$ $OS$-$level$ $is$ $required$. $If$ $Linux$ $OS$-$level$, $decide$ $on$ $a$ $language$ $for$ $coding$ $the$ $initial$ $framework$.
    • TBDTBDTBD: $Authentication$ ($disable$ $initially$)
    • Non-Functional: DDNS configured for Pre.
    • App is initialized to run at startup.
    • App has built in defaults, set in a config file whose values can be changed if desired.
    • TCP listening port is 40404 by default (just an arbitrary number I chose).
    • Request XML:
      <REQUEST>
      <AUTH /> (TBDTBDTBD)
      <DATA>
      <SERVICE>
      <TYPE>LOCATION|GPS-ON|GPS-OFF|GPS-STATUS</TYPE>
      <PARAM name="">value</PARAM> *
      </SERVICE>
      </DATA>
      </REQUEST>
    • Response XML:
      <RESPONSE>
      <TIMESTAMP>value</TIMESTAMP>
      <STATUS>0 (if successful)|global error code number</STATUS>
      <DATA>
      <SERVICE>
      <TYPE>LOCATION|GPS-ON|GPS-OFF|GPS-STATUS</TYPE>
      <STATUS>0 (if successful)|error code number (for specific service)</STATUS>
      <PARAM name="">value</PARAM> * (example: <PARAM name="latitude">37.44040301</PARAM>)
      </SERVICE>
      </DATA>
      </RESPONSE>

Client-side Requirements
    • Should allow user to specify: hostname, port, service type, and any params needed for service type request.
    • See "Server-side Requirements" for more details.

Imagine the possibilities... Host the client as a web page, and open an iFrame to a Google Map widget, to show the exact coordinates on a map.

Questions/Unknowns
    • Are there any roadblocks to implementing this as a WebOS-level daemon?
    • If it needs to be implemented at the Linux OS level, will we have access to the GPS? Also, what would be the best language to implement in? Will Java work? Seems the easiest to design a framework for.

Anyone wanna take a stab at this with me? Reply, and say what you'd like to help with. I know I can at least whip up a client-side Java application/applet or web page with no problem.

Also, I'm quite open to criticism and suggestions. If you think you can make this better, please share some ideas. I'd like to build a robust framework from the ground up. So getting your suggestions in as early as possible would ensure the likelihood for their implementation.
    Last edited by BigMatza; 08/03/2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Added
    Ive already got the basic gist of what you're describing here on my Pre. I set up DDNS over EV-DO so that I can connect in to the phone wherever it is.

From there, it's just making the commands.
    This sounds very helpful. I have a suggestion, can you make an app for other Pre's to view the GPS location of the stolen Pre? For instance, if my phone gets stolen then I can use my dad's Pre to find the burglar location, drive to the area, and still keep up-to-date on his/her whereabouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    This sounds very helpful. I have a suggestion, can you make an app for other Pre's to view the GPS location of the stolen Pre? For instance, if my phone gets stolen then I can use my dad's Pre to find the burglar location, drive to the area, and still keep up-to-date on his/her whereabouts.
    Well if it's web based then you would be able use the Pre's browser. On a further note, I would be willing to donate ($20) to who ever can make this an app. I know there is a way now where u can send a text message to the Pre, then the Pre sends you back your cordinates. However it requires knowledge of Linux which I don't have a clue about! If it could be made into an app that u can download then set up that would be awesome!
    Eventually add in Bluetooth activation for local "final 50 feet" location. This would also help me when the wife asks where she left the Pre in the house.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    A lot of the "heavy lifting" for this type of app has already been done:

Patch webOS GPS Tracking - WebOS Internals
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    A lot of the "heavy lifting" for this type of app has already been done:

Patch webOS GPS Tracking - WebOS Internals
    Yeah that is what I was referring to. However if someone could make that into an app for all of us that don't know anything about Linux that would be nice.