1.    #1  
    Everytime I create a simple Hello World style app. It compiles but the Scene never makes it into the app. I have created it from scratch and double checked all parts that I can think of. Any insights?
    Post the code for your stage-assistant.jsjsjs $file$.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Make sure there are no dashes in your scene name, mojo don't like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    Post the code for your stage-assistant.jsjsjs $file$.
    take a look at the stage assistant.jsjsjs $and$ $make$ $sure$ $its$ $pushing$ $the$ $correct$ $scene$ $gl$!
    use putty to connect to your device or emulator and log in as root (press enter for the password) and then

Code:
    tail -f /var/log/messages
    to watch what happens when the app starts up. it will probably show a syntax error or at least give you direction as to what is missing or wrong in your code.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for pointing out Putty. [Please don't Flame] I'm normally a C#/Asp.net guy.

I swore I checked the stage-assistant.jsjsjs $file$ $numerous$ $times$. $Perhaps$ $I$ $had$ $a$ $copy$ $open$ $from$ $a$ $different$ $application$.

Regardless with Putty I was able to see where the application resided. (Pointing out instructions for other Newbs) So I Just killed the log viewer and typed
    cd/var/usr/palm/applications/com.company.appname/app/assistants
    cat stage-assistant.jsjsjs

I could see that there was no code to push the scene in there.

Thanks for all your replies and for pointing out Putty. It's been a while since I used a Linux command prompt. I'm having flashbacks!
    Out of curiousity, did you really need to telnet into the Pre to view the contents of your stage-assistant.jsjsjs $file$?

What environment are you developing in?

To each his own, but I think the SDK with Eclipse and associated webOS plug-ins works pretty well.
    I now do all my scenes via the Mojo plugin with Aptana. I was getting frustrated hand-coding with Notepad++, never able to see what I was doing wrong. And it works, each and every time. Simple.
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    I now do all my scenes via the Mojo plugin with Aptana. I was getting frustrated hand-coding with Notepad++, never able to see what I was doing wrong. And it works, each and every time. Simple.
    Aptana is nice, but with eclipse you get the same enviornment but with the ability to deploy it to the device or emulator with one click.
    i'm still using eclipse, but have never gotten code completion to work and comments don't see to color correctly. it's bugging me so much that i have just started trying out komodo edit with webos add-ons from templarian.

the editor is light-weight, the code completion is pretty nice, but i have not done more than an hour or 2 of real work in it to decide if i am switching yet... i'll keep you posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesne View Post
    Aptana is nice, but with eclipse you get the same enviornment but with the ability to deploy it to the device or emulator with one click.
    How about Eclipse with the Aptana plug-ins?

That's what they recommend on Palm's developer site, and what I use - quite successfully I might add.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesne View Post
    Aptana can do that, too. I'm on my Pre right now, so I can't say exactly which toolbar it's on, but it's normally one click and at the most two.