Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    So I'm reading the instructions on how to root the Pre(Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals), and I'm soo lost. I got to where you run Palm Install and that's about it. I don't understand how the phone is supposed to be connected, how to install the patches etc. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I have no idea how it all works but this video did the trick for me:

he goes through this:
    Next steps - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Ive seen that video, idk wth was going on there.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    video did not help me at all, they have changed something so the video and the page didnt line up, i wish i could understand how to do this but i dont.

i need help as well lol
    It is as easy as this post: Just follow those steps.
    http://forums.precentral.net/1791625-post1461.html

It says:
    =====================================
    Now that the SDK is out, it's absurdly easy to access linux.

1. Instal the SDK according to the directions from Palm.
    2. Put your phone into developer mode (from the home screen, type 'upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart', open the Developer Mode app and put the phone into developer mode. It will prompt you to restart).
    3. Connect your phone to the computer using your USB cable. Select "Charge Only" on the Pre
    4. Go to (I'm assuming you're on Windows here) Start -> Run and type 'cmd' (without the quotes) and hit enter.
    5. Once you're in the command prompt, type 'novacom -t open tty://' (again, without the quotes).
    6. You'll see a prompt root@castle:/# ←[J which means you're in! Type whatever commands you want (but be careful! very easy to hose your Pre when you're logged in as root!)

That is how you access linux (formerly called rooting the pre) on your Pre. Yes, it really is that easy.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    so they talk about some putty thing, and making a name and passcode? you dont have to do those steps now?
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Also once I get in, how can i then do the carrier name change for example?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    mines says "failed to connect to server"

fml.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Doing the mods is not noob friendly at all. Web-os internals sucks because the site is written as if everyone has this vast knowledge of linux. I looked at some of the shorter mods like downloading amazon songs over evdo and they skipped like the first few steps wth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newberry View Post
    mines says "failed to connect to server"

fml.
    is your pre in Dev mode?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunz4sale View Post
    Also once I get in, how can i then do the carrier name change for example?
    I prefer installing winscp after setting up the password and quilt. Remember your pre is vunerable when in dev mode! Once you do that download winscp and configure it based on this
    Setup SFTP - WebOS Internals if you installed both optware and Quilt you should only have to configure Winscp with your ip address and the settings.

Go on I'm here for a few hours if you need help. Once your at this stage you have a file manager from Winscp that looks like windows, you will find the /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controlle/bar-assistant.jsjsjs $file$ $and$ $right$ $click$ $edit$. $A$ $word$ $pad$ $comes$ $up$ $and$ $you$ $goto$ $line$ $426$ $and$ $put$ $in$ $your$ $text$....$make$ $sure$ $to$ $do$ $$L$(&$quot$;$youtext$&$quot$;) $to$ $make$ $to$ $appear$!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I still do it the older way. (easier)

1.) Download this zip file and extract it to your desktop.

2.)Install Python 2.6.2.

3.) Put your Pre into Dev Mode but typing in upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart on the home screen. (Universal Search)

4.) WiFi- To connect through wifi get your IP address by going to the wifi app, tap on your connection and the first box has your IP address in it. Now go to the downloaded folder and run talk.py. If your Pre goes into sleep mode (screen turns off) then the connection is disconnected.
    USB- To connect via USB connect your Pre to your computer and run novaproxy.py. There will be a command prompt window that pops up (keep this open when rooting). The widow will tell you it is listening on localhost and on a port number.

5.) Now open Putty.exe in the downloaded folder. If using wifi type your IP address and the port as 23. If you are using USB type localhost and the port number listed in the command prompt window. You can name it under were it says Saved Sessions, then click save. Now click Open and you are rooted!
    - Next time you connect just run talk.py or novaproxy.py depending on if you are using wifi or USB. Open up Putty and click the saved session and click Load, then Open.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Yeah I am having the same problem as newberry and my pre is in Dev mode. So not sure what to do now
    nevermind the sleep mode thing worked for me