1.    #1  
    JTemple33 asked for help with this MOD, so here is a short step by step guide, I hope you all find it useful.

Modification for Messaging, opens new card for each conversation. Only for WebOS 1.1
    In 12 easy steps to success
    Warning Proceed at your own risk

BEFORE DOING MOD GO TO THIS VI GUIDE TO LEARN HOW TO SAVE, QUIT AND EDIT FILES

1. BACKUP THE FILES BEFORE YOU EDIT THEM
    Code:
    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/listview-assistant.jsjsjs /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$messaging$/$app$/$controllers$/$listview$-$assistant$.$js_new_card_mod$
    $cp$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$messaging$/$app$/$controllers$/$chatview$-$assistant$.$js$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$messaging$/$app$/$controllers$/$chatview$-$assistant$.$js_new_card_mod$
    2. SSH into your pre

3.Mount file system as Read/Write
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    4. First file to edit This modification makes it so a new card is created whenever you click into a conversation
    Code:
    sudo vi /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/listview-assistant.jsjsjs
    5. Go to line 1071
    Code:
    :1071
    6. Replace
    Code:

launchChatView: function(chatThreadId) {
        this.controller.stageController.pushScene('chatview',chatThreadId,{clearListBadgeFn:this.clearListBadgeForChatThreadId.bind(this,chatThreadId)});
      },

clearListBadgeForChatThreadId: function(chatThreadId) {
            var badgeContainers = ["buddyBageContainer","historyBageContainer"];
            var listItem;
            for (var i = 0; i < badgeContainers.length; i++) {
                    listItem = this.controller.get(badgeContainers[i] + chatThreadId);
                    if (listItem && !listItem.hasClassName('hide-unread-count')) {
                            listItem.addClassName('hide-unread-count');
                    }
            }
      },
    WITH

Code:
    launchChatView: function(chatThreadId) {
    	//Need to jump to that stage if it exists
    	var stageController = Mojo.Controller.appController.getStageController("messaging"+chatThreadId);
    		if (stageController) {
    			stageController.activate();
    			return;
    		}

var params = {name: 'messaging' + chatThreadId,
    			lightweight: Mojo.Controller.appInfo.lwStages
    	};

var callback = function(controller) {
    		controller.pushScene('chatview',chatThreadId,{
    					focusWindow: true
    				});		
    	};

Mojo.Controller.getAppController().createStageWithCallback(params, callback); //doesnt create ifit exists sooo
      },
    7. Save and exit
    Code:
    :wq
    8. Second file to edit, This will make it so if you back gesture in a chat nothing happens to your card.
    Code:
    sudo vi /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/chatview-assistant.jsjsjs
    9. Go to line 289 and REPLACE
    Code:
               		} else if(event.type == Mojo.Event.back) {
    			         event.stop();
    			         this.popAndRevealListView();
    		 	return;
    		 }
    WITH

Code:
    		} else if(event.type == Mojo.Event.back) {
    			/*event.stop();
    			this.popAndRevealListView();
    		 	return;*/
    		 }
    10. Save and exit
    Code:
    :wq
    11. Mount file system as Read Only
    Code:
    mount -o remount,ro /
    12. Reboot
    Code:
    /sbin/reboot
    TO RESTORE BACKUP UPS
    Code:
    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/listview-assistant.js_new_card_mod /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/listview-assistant.jsjsjs
    $cp$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$messaging$/$app$/$controllers$/$chatview$-$assistant$.$js_new_card_mod$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$messaging$/$app$/$controllers$/$chatview$-$assistant$.$js$
    I Hope this helped you, drop me a comment or thanks, to confirm it worked.
    Have these issues been fixed?

There's some delay in creating the new cards. I'm not sure why though.

Unread message counter in listview doesn't always update when you view a conversation
    Also very interested in knowing if those issues have been remedied and ALSO how severe the lag between making conversations is because this is a much needed feature imo.
  4.    #4  
    I don't really notice any more lag then opening a program.

But yes technically both issues are still present.
    The lag is minimal, and yeah they're both still there but the pros heavily outweigh the cons.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    I have not noticed any lag either, but I have only been using the feature for a little under a day. Also as for the main message page not updating.... close it, open it, updated
    Still happily rooting my launch 6/6/09 Pre!
    (and my wife's)
    just did this....very happy with the new card system...
    Is there a "replace" command or do I just copy and paste ?
    copy and paste
    Can you make a quick vid on how to do this....plz
    cant u help me, i try doin it but cant get it to work...can u help plzzz....
    It's going to blow when 1.2 comes out and this doesn't work correctly anymore :-(
    wow i forgot about that... bummer.