Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Guess I'll call and have to get my MSL before I do this.
    I called Customer Service, and they actually gave me 2 MSL numbers. the first one they gave me didn't work. They second one did. Trying this out now. My secondary home was an IP from the list but farther away from me than the one I'm using now.

Oh and playback is much better now. Before it was choppy and would cut out. Now it's much smoother playback.
    When I click on the Primary Home field, it asks me for the "Master Subsidy Lock." Anyone else getting this?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I emailed customer Service and was told that the only way to get a MSL was to deactivate a phone???? So anyway does anyone have any other ideas on how to procure said MSL?
    Just called Sprint and got my MSL, no problem. Changed the settings and see some improvement in TV streams, but nothing earth-shattering. Still, the tweaks are simple enough to so that any improvement makes them worthwhile. Thanks to those who contributed the instructions.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    When I click on the Primary Home field, it asks me for the "Master Subsidy Lock." Anyone else getting this?
    Master Subsidy Lock= MSL

It's the same thing
    Anything else besides SprintTV? Will it improve any other apps such as Pandora, email, synching with google, etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Ryan View Post
    Master Subsidy Lock= MSL

It's the same thing
    Got it. I went in and made the changes . . . I'll have to live with it for a while to see if it made a big difference. Sprint TV definitely seems to stream better.

Is it correct for the "M Home Address" value to be 0.0.0.0?
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Anything else besides SprintTV? Will it improve any other apps such as Pandora, email, synching with google, etc?
    As bigfire notes, changing the primary and secondary home addresses can possibly speed up connection speed in general.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfire View Post
    Speed Up Connection Speed
    There are actually going to be two hacks in this port. One involves changing your Home Agent, the other involves changing the media buffer. The speed increases in both cases has been debated almost as excessively as whether or not people will be charged for PAM. Bottom line, some people swear in multiplies the speed exponentially, others claim no increase.
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    Those having problems getting your MSL, you have to give a good story....Sprint is not supposed to give this important lock code out, as it allows someone (namely you people! LOL) to mess with the inner functions of the phone. Keep in mind if you brick your phone and have to try to return the phone and they realize changes were made in the programming, they may say your warranty is VOID.

What you should be telling Sprint when you call: I had to use WebOS doctor to reset factory defaults and now in reactivating, the phone is requiring a 6 digit code to start up...they may try to give you a number that is not MSL, or say it should be the last four of your number or SSN, but that is not it.....say to the agent that it was something like (play dumb here) a 'Lock' code or something. I just said I had to get the code with my Instinct and they called it an MSL....easy enough.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Hm. I guess I'll have to find out my MSL then.
    Then again, Sprint TV was never really choppy for me (on EVDO).
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    I have noticed a speed increase that is nice when you can't use WiFi. This includes anything that uses the internet to get its data: Pandora, Orb, Sprint TV, Web, etc, etc....makes me wonder why they don't make these options in programming more of an out-in-the-open subject. Like when I activate my phone and I live in a certain area, why wouldn't the retailer or Sprint agent, just set up the phone to have those settings???? Maybe its a suggestion that Sprint needs to listen to to make up some ground in customers
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfire View Post
    What you should be telling Sprint when you call: I had to use WebOS doctor to reset factory defaults and now in reactivating, the phone is requiring a 6 digit code to start up...they may try to give you a number that is not MSL, or say it should be the last four of your number or SSN, but that is not it.....say to the agent that it was something like (play dumb here) a 'Lock' code or something. I just said I had to get the code with my Instinct and they called it an MSL....easy enough.
    Yeah I called and the rep gave me what she thought was the MSL code needed. But it didn't work, and I called back, and another rep gave me the same number, and I told her it didn't work. And she said there was another one-time-use MSL code and that seemed to work. Although they didn't give me any problems giving it to me, I just used the idea suggested in the OP.

Interesting thing about the 2 codes, the first code I got the first 3 numbers match the last three numbers in the second code I got.
    Can the MSL change. I wrote down the MSL the last time I had to do a restore to factory defaults. That's how I got mine.

This time around, I entered the 6 digit number that I saved and it said it was not a correct number?

So again my question is, can this number change?

Thanks

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Has anybody noticed any difference in battery life? I assume if its polling different towers more often, it'll hurt battery life. Anyone notice this?
    Great Post.

I have done the changes and it works like a charm. Very noticeable difference web browsing when not in evdo and the sprint tv change is better too.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    The list of Home Agent locations is how you determine based on proximity. I live in NE Wisconsin, so the closest for me is Chicago. I would assume (though I have no proof) that force focusing your signal to the closest terminal would aid battery life, as it is just like when the phone has to search for a 'voice' signal eats battery.

To answer the question about MSL, this is to be your 'Master' Subsidary Lock code, ie for your specific device and account combo. If you change devices, or sell your phone to a friend and they activate on their account, it would change. Resetting the factory defaults should not change the MSL

I'm glad everyone's noticing an improvement. This was something that I took a leap of faith that it would work with the Pre as it had in the Instinct....

....Apparently the try $h!+ method works again!
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    When I change the MMG IP to all zeros do I set it up like the IP address, i.e. 00.00.00.00 or just straight zeros, i.e. 00000000??
    Quote Originally Posted by TCCCCnME View Post
    When I change the MMG IP to all zeros do I set it up like the IP address, i.e. 00.00.00.00 or just straight zeros, i.e. 00000000??
    do 0.0.0.0
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Would Buffer Length = Buffer Size?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast