Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Moderator Note:
    This thread is about developing a specialized eBook reader.
    Any post about anything other than this eBook development will be deleted.

Now that the Simple Bible is in a state that is working, I am going to begin formatting the rest of the LDS scriptures to work with this format.

To see the original program go here:

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-0-7-31-a.html

To see the original thread go here:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...bible-app.html

A lot of people have made this happen, with special thanks to stickywhipit and frankos72 for getting this through all the hurdles.

As there is a lot that needs to be converted, I will post what I am doing, and if anyone wants to start with something else, post it.

I would recommend the first few take charge of whole volumes (i.e. I intend to start with the Book of Mormon) so efforts won't be duplicated. From there we will just have to coordinate via PM.

Back to editing!
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 08/21/2009 at 01:49 PM.
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
  2.    #2  
    Done:

1 Nephi

I am working 2 Nephi.

I will edit as I move on.
    Last edited by wonko; 08/01/2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Updating work done
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
    Thanks allot!!! I've been waiting for this for ALONG time! Now the bible app as been made and I have been wondering if this could happen. I have all the Book of Mormon text files already. So if you want them I could easily give them to you. I actually used them to on my iPod nano so I could read them on it. If you need them, I'm right here with them.

EDIT: I almost forgot that I also have the Doctrine and Convents also. If you plan on doing it to I have them.
    Last edited by Rennat; 08/01/2009 at 10:28 PM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  4.    #4  
    Here is my beginning effort:

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/83030/..._0.7.0_all.ipk

It doesn't work right now, and I don't know why. Somewhere I have broken it.

I have all the files in there that will be necessary to convert to the proper format. The only one I have converted fully is 1 Nephi.

If someone could take a look at the code and see what I have done wrong I would appreciate it. In particular there is an if/then statement in the first-assistant.jsjsjs $file$ $that$ $I$ $am$ $beginning$ $to$ $wonder$ $if$ $I$ $made$ $a$ $bad$ $assumption$ $on$. $Can$ $you$ $not$ $have$ $multiple$ &$quot$;$else$&$quot$; $statements$?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Wonko,

The one thing I have learned is make small changes at a time and then run the program to make sure you didn't break anything. It's far easier than trying to track down a problem.

That said, I still get over eager sometimes and break it with like 8 changes that I did. In the end when I do that, I just CTRL-Z until I get back to where it was when I last saved and tested successfully. The cool thing about Notepad ++ or Aptana (not sure what your using) is they let you undo past your most recent save.

Anyway, That code sticky has done is something else. Honestly I haven't even looked at the 0.7.0 version. If all your adding is a few books, I'd say start over again and add one thing at a time until you get it working.

Also, I've come up with a chapter navigation that hopefully stickywhipit can intergrate into the bible soon. Catch ya later!
  6.    #6  
    You are probably right. I am comfortable that the book is correct, so I just need to go through the code and add one bit at a time. I am also wondering if even though I commented out my comments, if maybe I am breaking something with them. I will try and delete them before starting over, and then...
    back to the books.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Looking forward to it!
    Daily Scriptures app has been posted and includes the LDS Standard Works.

My post count isn't high enough to allow links but if you search for "Daily Scriptures" in the Homebrew forum you will find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by reuben.olsen View Post
    Daily Scriptures app has been posted and includes the LDS Standard Works.

My post count isn't high enough to allow links but if you search for "Daily Scriptures" in the Homebrew forum you will find it.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-v0-1-1-a.html

Though I would like to see a little competition.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Well I had a computer death, have a new computer, trying to pick up the pieces so to speak. What was the final file format that we ended up with? I can pull data out of a DB with a lot of the formatting done. We will then just need to add in the chapter markup. I'm eager to help.
  11.    #11  
    Ok, here is the code that I think is messed up. Any help rewriting it would be appreciated. The original was written as a binary If/else statement. I am not certain how to write it to accommodate 5 separate variables. Below is my re-write.

Anyone?

Code:
    FirstAssistant.prototype.radioCallback = function(event){

/*Section to change 4*/

this.showDialogBox("Testament", " "+this.testament);

if(this.testament == "otdiv")
    		{
    			this.testament = "ntdiv";
    			try{
    			$('otdiv').style.display = "none";
    			$('ntdiv').style.display = "inline";
    			$('bomdiv').style.display = "inline";
    			$('dcdiv').style.display = "inline";
    			$('pgpdiv').style.display = "inline";
    			} catch(err){
    				this.showDialogBox("Error", err.toString());
    			}
    		}
    		else
    		{
    			this.testament = "otdiv";
    			try{
    			$('otdiv').style.display = "inline";
    			$('ntdiv').style.display = "none";
    		} catch(err){
    		}

}
    		else
    		{
    			this.testament = "bomdiv";
    			try{
    			$('bomdiv').style.display = "none";
    		} catch(err){
    		}

}		
    		else
    		{
    			this.testament = "dcdiv";
    			try{
    			$('dcdiv').style.display = "none";
    		} catch(err){
    		}

}		
    		else
    		{
    			this.testament = "pgpdiv";
    			try{
    			$('pgpdiv').style.display = "none";
    		} catch(err){
    		}

}		

};
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Hey, thanks for working on this! I've been waiting for it. I'm not much of a jsjsjs $programmer$, $but$ $I$ $do$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $shell$ $scripting$, $so$ $I$ $immediately$ $thought$ $of$ $a$ $case$ $statement$ $instead$ $of$ $all$ $of$ $your$ $if$/$elses$. $Look$ $here$: The CASE Statement

Hope that helps. PM me if you need more help with anything. Like I said, I don't have much web programming experience, but I'm willing to jump in and help if you need me.
    wonko, sorry for the delay, i actually got sleep last night... i know, boo boo boo...

Your "if" statement is missing the the nested conditions, but "if" statements get ugly fast, so use a switch/case.

Also, my "if" statement was lazy, it did not consider what was being toggled, it just caught the radioCallback and then looked at the main variable to see the current state and then toggled to the other state. You will need to evaluate the event.value. Try this, replace all of your if-else stuff with this switch statement:

Code:
    		switch(event.value) 
    		{
    			case "otdiv":
    				this.testament = "otdiv";

try{
    				} catch(err){
    					this.showDialogBox("Error ot toggle", err.toString());
    				}

break;
    			case "ntdiv":
    				this.testament = "ntdiv";

try{
    				} catch(err){
    					this.showDialogBox("Error nt toggle", err.toString());
    				}

break;

case "bomdiv":
    				this.testament = "bomdiv";

try{
    				} catch(err){
    					this.showDialogBox("Error bom toggle", err.toString());
    				}

break;

case "dcdiv": 
    				this.testament = "dcdiv";

try{
    				} catch(err){
    					this.showDialogBox("Error dc toggle", err.toString());
    				}

break;

case "pgpdiv":
    				this.testament = "pgpdiv";

try{
    				} catch(err){
    					this.showDialogBox("Error pgp toggle", err.toString());
    				}

break;
    		}
    hope this helps!
    beat me to this app, lol. Nice job
    wonko! fixed it!!! only 3 errors!

1. you were missing the "}" to close the FirstAssistant.prototype.radioCallback function.
    2. you had an extra "}" at the end of the first-assistant.jsjsjs $file$.

these 2 things caused the screen to show the header when running, but nothing else.

and 3.
    Code:
    this.controller.listen('doctrineAndCovenantsList', Mojo.Event.listTap, this.doctrineAndCovenantsListSelectionHandler.bind(this));
    Code:
    this.controller.listen('pearlOfGreatPriceList', Mojo.Event.listTap, this.pearlOfGreatPriceListSelectionHandler.bind(this));
    the reference to the 2 handlers are invalid. you named the actual functions without the word "List" in them, like pearlOfGreatPriceSelectionHandler.

i have attached the latest source (without the books directory) for you. i left the 2 debugging techniques in the first-assistant: try/catch block and Mojo.Log.error();

use these techniques to help you fish for errors! they help a lot!!

good luck and keep coding!
    Attached Files Attached Files
  16.    #16  
    You are fantastic sticky!

Now all I need to do is recode the books and we are in business.

Thank you for your help!
    Just wondering how this project is going...btw do you know if anybody is working on an app for listening to the Mormon Channel?
  18.    #18  
    found a couple of problems in the last source sticky fixed for me that I was able to work through. Book of Mormon is done, and I'm hoping to have a complete version using the 7.1 source either tonight or Sunday night. It kind of depends on my mouse clicking hand.
  19.    #19  
    Well, I think it is good. I need some people to go through and make sure that in the transfer I didn't mess anything up, but it should be usable at this point.

If there are any problems, please let me know and I will get them corrected.

I am having problems uploading the ipk file, so you can get it at this link:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/83030/Pal..._0.7.4_all.ipk

Enjoy!
  20.    #20  
    If you loaded a previous version of this, try deleting it before uploading this version. I didn't have enough room to install it while the old one was still on system.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast