Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    wonko, i think the moderators turned off uploads, because i can't post ipks or zips either
  2.    #22  
    I have updated the code to the 0.8.9 version. While there are a few issues, it is working well. It can be downloaded here:

http://wonko.net/wonko/net.wonko.lds..._0.8.9_all.ipk
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
    Just wondering how this project is going...btw do you know if anybody is working on an app for listening to the Mormon Channel?
    I've asked about that and was told to contact the people working on stuff at tech.lds.org for more details. I'd like to help out, but need to find the time to get familiar with the Pre's SDK first.
    Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    I have updated the code to the 0.8.9 version. While there are a few issues, it is working well. It can be downloaded here:
    thanks!

The chapters work great for the OT & NT, but nothing else. I'm guessing that's one of the issues that you were referring to.
  5.    #25  
    Yes. That is one of about 4 or 5 that I have come across.
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
    have you guys looked at this?:

http://yanceyware.com/products/reader.htm

its the best scripture/ebook reader for Windows mobile. it would be great if you could support their book format, which is HTML or xml based. There are a ton of scriptures/ lds works and other books for it. Its so good, that there are now programs for the iphone and Android which will read the books.

YanCEyWare Reader E-books

If you contact Bryce Yancey in his support forums, it might be possible to get his source code. It might be helpful, but it might not.
    Is there a quick way to port an html file into the format needed to be used by this app?
  8.    #28  
    At this point, not that I am aware of. I have used an Excel spreadsheet and some formulas to place the proper text, but I have had to import it manually, and there was still a fair amount needing manual updating.

That said, I was able to do a full book in a fairly short period of time.
    I added this note in the opening post:

Moderator Note:
    This thread is about developing a specialized eBook reader.
    Any post about anything other than this eBook development will be deleted.

I did delete a post that was off-topic. If you see any others, please just click the triange I button under their name.

- Craig
    The LDS Tech Community would really like to get an official version of the LDS Scriptures that we can add to the Palm App Catalog and would like to engage you guys to work on that version. We will get you authorized access to the scriptures data through a web service with cross references. If you are interested in contributing on this project, please go to http:/ /tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Requirements_for_Participation and follow the instructions. We're hoping that we can combine your efforts with those working on the Daily Scriptures application and have an official LDS Church one.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanh View Post
    The LDS Tech Community would really like to get an official version of the LDS Scriptures that we can add to the Palm App Catalog and would like to engage you guys to work on that version. We will get you authorized access to the scriptures data through a web service with cross references. If you are interested in contributing on this project, please go to http:/ /tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Requirements_for_Participation and follow the instructions. We're hoping that we can combine your efforts with those working on the Daily Scriptures application and have an official LDS Church one.
    Can we get one with local storage instead of just a web service? Web is great, but I usually don't get much of a signal inside church buildings.
  12.    #32  
    This reader is local storage.

The LDS Tech specs for the IPhone specify local storage, so I would presume any others would be likewise.
    Yes, the application would have local storage. We have a database of the scriptures with all the cross references. It would not need an internet connection to operate.
    I wish they would release the beta already. It it pretty functional as is.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I have the latest beta on my Pre, I love it. It is ready for prime time. For anyone who is registered as a developer with the tech group, you can download the source and build it. It is a 5mb ipk file. Supports highlighting, commenting on highlighted scriptures. Bookmarks. It supports Search, but search requires an active internet connection. All scriptures are on device. Bookmarks, Highlighting, notes and comments are all on device. It's very slick.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    I have the latest beta on my Pre, I love it. It is ready for prime time. For anyone who is registered as a developer with the tech group, you can download the source and build it. It is a 5mb ipk file. Supports highlighting, commenting on highlighted scriptures. Bookmarks. It supports Search, but search requires an active internet connection. All scriptures are on device. Bookmarks, Highlighting, notes and comments are all on device. It's very slick.
    Unfortunately I'm not a developer so I can't d/l the source and build it. Any chance you could email me the hook up? I'd be really grateful, as it would mean one less heavy thing to carry into church on Sundays (four small kids, wife is in Primary Pres. and I'm a Primary teacher and Cub Scout Den Leader). We always have SO MUCH stuff.....
    I'm not registered as a developer but I would really like to have that app. Is there any other way to get it, or could you email it to me?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Just a note, there's an easier way (for those familiar w/ the command line) than building an ipk to install the app. The beauty of WebOS apps (ones like these, anyway) is that they're not compiled. You can go into /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications and make a directory, called org.lds.scriptures or anything else that tickles your fancy, and do an "svn checkout ..." on the source code from tech.lds.org. Then to get the latest, just run "svn update".
    The official LDS Gospel Library v1.0 is currently available for free from the app catalog.

LDS Gospel Library App for webOS

This version contains the entire Old & New Testaments, Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, Pearl of Great Price, Bible Dictionary and Topical Guide. It also contains the April 2010 General Conference, Gospel Principles manual and Old Testament Study Guide. Future versions will include the ability to download on demand from a large library of Church publications.
    Thanks Reuben and to all who have made this possible - it's a great app!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast