1.    #1  
    I would love a pre racing game

Scoutcamper
    I don't believe it's possible due to the current restrictions on the (primitive) sdk made available by Palm. Although, I will admit that the homebrew community has exceeded my expectations in the quality of homebrew apps already available. So there might be a way to get around the restrictions, but don't hold your breath.

"We all follow the Chelsea!!!"
  3.    #3  
    Is it possible to make this work, even if turning is laggy?
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    I would recommend a racing app that is based on how hard and far you throw your pre.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Turtle racing ought to be feasible. Or earthworms.

But seriously, Palm needs to crank up the accelerometer sampling rate by a factor of 5-10 before the device is usable for fast paced action. It's only sampling at 4Hz right now. Once that bottleneck is removed, the next issue will be graphics performance, since all rendering is done in software right now. I wouldn't expect them to be able to crack 20fps for any complex render scenes.
    Why do they set these limitations? It doesn't make sense to me.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    It's not a limitation in the case of rendering, it's more like they haven't gotten around to it yet. It's been well discussed that the webOS does not support OpenGL, but it goes even deeper than that. They don't actually have a driver for the graphics processing unit (GPU) yet, so it's going largely unused right now. Which is unfortunate, as that is most certainly hurting battery life, by pushing rendering onto the CPU via software commands. The GPU would be much more efficient at this task.

So Palm needs to write a driver for the GPU, then they need to add OpenGL support to the SDK so we can talk to the GPU, and then high speed high quality graphics will be possible. Note: I don't even know if it's technically feasible to put OpenGL support in the SDK as long as it's based on javascript. All the coding I have done with OpenGL was C-based.

In the case of the accelerometer, that definitely seems like an artificial limit to me, as the hardware supports higher sampling rates. But who knows, perhaps a javascript interface is simply not capable of sampling higher than 4Hz so they capped it. I really have no idea why the rate is so artificially low.
    That's some good info. No driver for the graphics hardware? Wouldn't you expect TI to have a driver? Or do you mean a WebOS driver?

Well, all I know is it sucks to have hardware go unutilized. I'd like to see that graphics core put to use. I wonder if it gets used in ways we are unaware of?
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Here's more info on the driver -- I don't know much more than what's been stated here:

High Caffeine Content: Palm Pre SDK != 'Web Apps'

Third paragraph from the bottom covers the OpenGL details.

The driver would sit between webOS and the GPU, so I think it indeed falls on Palm to write the driver for their OS.
    This would be possible to do in WebOS at the moment however, it would be 2d and would require SNES style graphics. Most likely using individual images. But it is possible, its actually #2 on our list of apps we are working on.

Anything is possible.
    Devices: Blackberry 7130, 8130, 8330, HTC Touch Pro, Treo 600, 700wx, Pro, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CTL Advance View Post
    This would be possible to do in WebOS at the moment however, it would be 2d and would require SNES style graphics. Most likely using individual images. But it is possible, its actually #2 on our list of apps we are working on.

Anything is possible.
    Somehow, I don't think that's what the OP had in mind. And I'd love to hear how you think a 4Hz accelerometer rate is going to be usable.
  12.    #12  
    hey guys, is there any update on this things feasability?

Thanks,
    Scoutcamper