Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    So I was getting brave with putty and editing code via the directions on the wiki. I went to apply the battery percentage icon patch and it worked perfectly. But it also re activated the charging notification which I tried to fix myself. The original instructions for disabling charging notifications wasn't specific to the batt. percentage patch (I think the percentage patch moved or added stuff so the reference to specific lines of code for charging notification changed)

Long story short....I started messing with stuff way above my head and now I no longer have any text message sound alert..and the little envelope visual notification doesnt show up anymore.....yeah im an *****.

Can anybody give me instructions on how to restore it back to normal? I figured I would ask the experts before I do a full restore. THANK YOU!!!
    WebOsDoctor!

If your not sure about writing code run the doctor and start over.

Doug
    Okay, well, hopefully you made a backup of the file you can just restore... if not, download webOS doctor.

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre_p...0ewwsprint.jar

Save that to your computer, and open in winRAR or anything that can open .zip files. Go to resources\webOS.tar and open that up. Then you should see a .\nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz. Open that, and you'll see the file structure of your Pre. Navigate to the folder you need, and extract the original version of whichever file you messed up, copy that over, and reboot.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Okay, well, hopefully you made a backup of the file you can just restore... if not, download webOS doctor.

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre_p...0ewwsprint.jar

Save that to your computer, and open in winRAR or anything that can open .zip files. Go to resources\webOS.tar and open that up. Then you should see a .\nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz. Open that, and you'll see the file structure of your Pre. Navigate to the folder you need, and extract the original version of whichever file you messed up, copy that over, and reboot.
    What is the easiest way to copy that over to the pre?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Thanks jhoff!! couple more questions which just proves I shouldnt have been messing with the code. What program should I use to explore the .tar file? I know what file I messed up but I'm not too familiar on how I would copy it from one program then replace it to my phone via putty. Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    What is the easiest way to copy that over to the pre?
    SFTP? everybody with a rooted pre should also setup the SFTP..makes things really easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by pakuz_757 View Post
    Thanks jhoff!! couple more questions which just proves I shouldnt have been messing with the code. What program should I use to explore the .tar file? I know what file I messed up but I'm not too familiar on how I would copy it from one program then replace it to my phone via putty. Thanks again!
    I know that winRAR and 7zip will let you extract files from .tar and .tar.gz files. And yeah, I'd use SFTP to copy the file over, otherwise you can put it in the /media/internal folder and do cp /media/internal/file /newpath/file
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xyther4523 View Post
    SFTP? everybody with a rooted pre should also setup the SFTP..makes things really easy.
    I thought so too. Then, I noticed that WinSCP works just fine with the Pre in SCP mode. It appears to run commands over ssh in order to build directories, etc. Works fine with dropbear ssh, without having to install an sftp service.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I know that winRAR and 7zip will let you extract files from .tar and .tar.gz files. And yeah, I'd use SFTP to copy the file over, otherwise you can put it in the /media/internal folder and do cp /media/internal/file /newpath/file
    Thanks again for the help...I havent been able to get SFTP going so could you explain the second method in a little more detail? Thank you!
    cp is the copy command. It's really as simple as I already described. Connect your Pre via USB and copy the file to it via USB drive. That puts the file in /media/internal/. Then you use the cp command to copy it to the folder you want.

I can't describe it any more clearly without knowing what file you mean, but basically you'll want to:

Code:
    sudo -i
    mount -o remount,rw /
    cp /media/internal/file.jsjsjs /$usr$/$lib$/$luna$/$system$/$luna$-$systemui$/$app$/$controllers$/$file$.$js$
    $mount$ -$o$ $remount$,$ro$ /
    $reboot$
    (I don't know for sure if that's the path you want, just guessing based on what you're trying to do.)
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Thanks! It worked and I was able to replace the file because I lost battery percentage icon but I still dont have text message notifications....oh well here comes the webos doctor. Thanks again!
    It's a little steeper learning curve if you're not a linux user. Would be a great time for a lot of Pre users who find themselves logging into the filesystem to also pick up a linux distro for their desktop use.