1.    #1  
    Does a Palm WebOS update override all of the manual changes that you made to the Pre? I'm assuming that when they send an update, they update EVERYTHING and just override all of the system files, but I'm not sure.

If this is the case, wouldn't all of the code changes made while rooting the pre be lost?
    No it does not. It could however overwrite some changes.
    Untill we learn a little more about how palm does their updates then we'll just have to take our chances w/ changes.

WebOs doctor will reset to factory, Kind of like a restore disc.
  3.    #3  
    Do you know if the WebOS doctor gives the impression that the Pre was never hacked in the first place? Because I know that the warranty is voided if Palm knows its been hacked
    Your not actually hacking the pre it is open!

So yes when you run WebOs Doctor you are resetting the device back to the way it was when you first got it!

Doug
    If you mod apps by patching them or editing the code then if palm updates that app your changes are overwritten.

The webosdoctor comes in handy. My messaging app was borked by a mistakenly applied patch and I was able to extract the whole directory of the app from webosdoctor and replace the one I screwed up.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks! What website did you all use to learn how to root your pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by darock231 View Post
    Thanks! What website did you all use to learn how to root your pre?
    LOL! Really?

THIS ONE!
    wait how do u take the whole directory from webos doctor...i wanna learn how to take the whole app directory and transfer them over to my pre, that way if my app gets mest up and if i dont know what file is bad i can take the whole directory from webos doctor and have them put over to my pre
    Well it worked for me but YMMV.
    The OS image is in the webosdoctor.jar archive. Believe you change the extension to .zip and explore and extract the dir you need. I only did this as a last resort to wiping clean.

Only did it once but the info isn't hard to find on the web. The image of the OS is actually an additional archive inside the webosdoctor.jar. Its about 194mb. Roughly the entire bulk of the webosdoctor file. Make sure you have the latest version.

ps. I use filezilla for sftp to transfer files to/from the Pre. And SSH to move them around/rename. This is all through "rooting".
    Last edited by hmagoo; 08/01/2009 at 02:03 AM.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    LOL! Really?

THIS ONE!
    Which thread? I can't find it and I've been searching online but different sites say to do different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by darock231 View Post
    Which thread? I can't find it and I've been searching online but different sites say to do different things.
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals
  12.    #12  
    thanks a lot!