Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    During installation of the Optware I flubbed up my password on the second try. I tried again with the same user name and it asked me if I wanted to create a new user and I said no. It then said Password not changed. When I login with my user name, it doesn't accept the password. How do I change it or what is the default password?

Thanks for any assistance. Much appreciated.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    connect through usb and reroot it using the rooter login as root and edit the user
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I just tried this today, and I did the same thing; however, I am really not versed in Linux (which is to say I probably shouldn't have been messing around with trying to root my Pre in the first place). Could someone detail how I could edit the user so I can fix the password issue the OP had? Or is there another solution? I want to be able to use PuTTY because I can't seem to be able to paste into the novaterm window. Thanks for any help!
    Quote Originally Posted by 74256274 View Post
    During installation of the Optware I flubbed up my password on the second try. I tried again with the same user name and it asked me if I wanted to create a new user and I said no. It then said Password not changed. When I login with my user name, it doesn't accept the password. How do I change it or what is the default password?

Thanks for any assistance. Much appreciated.
    Connect back via novaterm, and issue "passwd <username>", then enter your new password.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Thanks emoney! that was right on the money!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I can not get this to work for the root password. I get an error after entering the new password, cannot update password file /etc/passwd.

Is there a way to change the root password?
    THERE IS NO ROOT PASSWORD.

This is by design.

Instead, create an unpriviledged user (as suggested), and install "sudo" (check out the webos-internals site for syntax to install sudo, it's in the optware repos). Then log in AT ALL TIMES as the unpriviledged user. If you need to issue a command that requires root authority either in terminal app, or ssh (like PuTTy), use "sudo <command>". This will ask you for the password (which will simply be the password for your user again).

This isn't neccesarily for security, it's so YOU DON'T BREAK YOUR OWN PHONE.

Please use terminal access responsibly and never randomly type / copy / paste anything you either don't understand personally, or isn't supported directly by the community.

Edit: As far as adding a user goes, simply use the 'adduser' command. Info about how it works can be found by googling 'man adduser' and clicking on the first result.
    Quote Originally Posted by jason5391 View Post
    I can not get this to work for the root password. I get an error after entering the new password, cannot update password file /etc/passwd.

Is there a way to change the root password?
    You need to mount the file system as read/write before you change it.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo