Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Alright, I have an initial patch to get qwerty keyboard working. Getting the right special-characters, enter, space etc... won't be too difficult. Now it's just a tedious matter of filling in .json.

This is just the initial stage getting it to work, then we can tweak the looks and all the good stuff!

:-D

Patch will be up on webos-internals soon!

Edit: BTW it comes up when you tap the gesture area as of now.
    Seeing how much space the notification takes, there is no reason why we can't get a on-screen keyboard.

Hope someone gets it to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post

alright, i have an initial patch to get qwerty keyboard working. Getting the right special-characters, enter, space etc... Won't be too difficult. Now it's just a tedious matter of filling in .json.

This is just the initial stage getting it to work, then we can tweak the looks and all the good stuff!

:-d

patch will be up on webos-internals soon!

Edit: Btw it comes up when you tap the gesture area as of now.
    you are the man!!
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    amazing work!
    --
    Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    If my post was helpful please thank me!

Linux/Palm Pre HELP can be found at:
    http://www.crombiez.com

-intro.
  5.    #65  
    Following up on the idea that the existing symbol keyboard is the key to making ANY on screen keyboard work, Webos-internals contributor egaudet has successfully modified the Palm framework to accept an ADDITIONAL on-screen keyboard based on the existing charselector classes.

See the attached image.

This is a PRE ALPHA modification deep into the framework of the Pre. Framework mods will be required for this to work in any app.

The current plan is to have the on-screen keyboard brought up by a touch in the gesture area of the phone while you are in any text entry field.

Congratulations to egaudet and watch the progress on the webos-internals wiki.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    hey i noticed the patch is online, i tried installing it but it didn't work did i miss something???
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    This is looking awesome!
    What do you mean it will be on webOS internals?? Is that in homebrew apps?
    it's a website : Main Page - WebOS Internals
    the patch is on i see it on my pre when i look up the apps on quilt, but i can't install it idk why
    great work so far. Just a few things need tweaking that ive seen so far. Needs a space bar along with some punctuation marks. And definitly need a backspace. And maybe try working on being able to scroll down to a numbers keyboard would be awesome. keep up the good work guys.
    Dude awesome. I'm guessing the E, B, and S's are where you will put Enter, Backspace, and Space respectively. Please post the link to the patch as soon as you post it. This is one of those experience-changers that we all wait for. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by gsx62391@yahoo.com View Post
    great work so far. Just a few things need tweaking that ive seen so far. Needs a space bar along with some punctuation marks. And definitly need a backspace. And maybe try working on being able to scroll down to a numbers keyboard would be awesome. keep up the good work guys.
    Agree this is whats needed. Great work though.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    What's the chances this could be turned into a Homebrew App?
    Probably slim to none. This is a change in the internal operations of WebOS. Its not just like an app, its an actual patch to the OS. Either way, if it messes up your phone, its nothing a simple webOS Doctor can't fix. So don't be scared, patch away!
    This is something you will have to root your phone to do. (don't be scared its soooo simple and like stated previously if anything should happen, webOS doctor is your friend.)

I'm looking for this patch but can't find it on the website.

hope he adds a space button and backspace
    The capital letters are where the corresponding keys on the hard kb are set to go (i.e. backspace, enter, orange, shift, space etc...). I will definitely be adding these in tonight.

I plan for the layout to mimic the hard keyboard on the Pre (at least at first). I intentionally removed the scrolling capability, however I am now thinking about putting it back in. I'll have to test how sensitive the scroll is and whether it will effect typing messages etc...

Any ideas/requests/functionality you guys can think of, let me know. After work today I should be able to whip up a more functional keyboard (space, enter etc...)

Please read the following in order to install the patch:

Applying Patches - WebOS Internals

The patch should be found (on Pre) in:

/opt/src/modifications/frameworks/add-onscreen-keyboard.patch
    Quote Originally Posted by gus7571 View Post
    What's the chances this could be turned into a Homebrew App?

For webos 1.1.0, I don't think this will ever be a possibility. At least not for the keyboard to work outside of that application it is coded in. It needed to be inserted into the framework so that it has access to all text field widgets. However, in the future we can look into getting the styling customizable on the application end (after the framework patch is installed).
    Good job guys. Does this work in landscape? Cause that's all I want an onscreen keyboard for.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    thing I noticed but not such a big deal, is when you are in the text menu and you are trying to type in the box tochoose a contact; the onscreen pulls up like normal but will not allow you to type in the entry. Really not a big deal but would be nice after the basic keyboard has been completed.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast