1.    #1  
    I've watched videos on Palm Pres being rooted and before I even attempt to root my palm pre I just wanna know are there any risk I'm taking of rooting the palm pre. What are the cons of rooting it?
    There are almost no risks that you are taking by rooting your Pre. The only time you'll ever mess something up is if you are messing around with the code in a file and mess up. In which case, you can ether manually change it back to how it was before or restore it from a backup (ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE!). It will vary depending on the person how easy it may seem. My suggestion is after you root your Pre go to the Basic Linux Use page over at webos-internals.org and this will help you understand how to navigate around your phone in Putty (the terminal which you use to access the file system of your phone).
    The only Cons I can really think of is that you may mess up a file in your Pre, in which case it is usually easy to fix, and for those who aren't accustom to navigation around terminals, may have it hard to understand allot of it for a bit.
    Now if you weigh that with Cons vs. Pros... lets just say that's like comparing an elephant to a mouse.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by shahir View Post
    I've watched videos on Palm Pres being rooted and before I even attempt to root my palm pre I just wanna know are there any risk I'm taking of rooting the palm pre. What are the cons of rooting it?
    Pro's, you get to install a bunch of apps, learn a bit of Linux, and expand the use tools your phone has.

Con's You loose some karma by committing and act of unspeakable evil. You can Bork your phone and have to run webos doctor. Worst case you completely trash your phone, you can always restore it back to factory. Unlike some other devices that can be rooted it's extremely difficult to permanently render your phone useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by dotelpenguin View Post
    Unlike some other devices that can be rooted it's extremely difficult to permanently render your phone useless.
    Infact, in one of the PalmCasts the were talking about an interview of a Palm employee and he said it is almost impossible to brick your Pre (messup your phone to the point were it's worth as much as a brick). Infact, the Developers can't even find a way to brick their Pres!!!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I've finally gone and done it myself, so far only enabeling extra pages in the launcher.

There are no Cons to rooting, per se, but there is a risk of causing damage to your phone. But it seems as though you'll be able to recover from most anything you do.

Don't do anything you don't understand. I knew what the commands were trying to do even if I didn't know much about the syntax of those commands.

Also, make sure you trust your information source. From what I'd read and heard, I trusted webOS Internals and felt confident in following their instructions. Only if you also trust them should you follow their instructions.
  6.    #6  
    All of these replies were very good to hear. Thank you all for the help. Now I have no worries in rooting my pre. Thanks again!
    Last edited by shahir; 07/31/2009 at 06:49 PM.
    According to Palm, there IS a way to completely brick pre thhru rooting. But its so hard that evev the guys at webos internals haven't even figured it out!!!

Should have a contest: free pre for first one to kill pre without using physical force!
    iPhone; the official phone of 'the Borg'
    *puts pre in microwave*
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halmo20 View Post
    According to Palm, there IS a way to completely brick pre thhru rooting. But its so hard that evev the guys at webos internals haven't even figured it out!!!

Should have a contest: free pre for first one to kill pre without using physical force!
    rm -rf / - is quite lovely

Dont try that on your rooted pre though lol.
    pros its cool cons its a *****
    Did you really need to revive a two month old thread for that comment?