Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    sometimes I have a problem signing into putty. i havent been able to sign in all day. i keep getting a message back saying "access denied". does anyone know why thats happening?

i was able to sign into putty before and suddenly it has stopped. ive gotten this same message a few times. usually i just restart my computer and my phone and putty will work aagin. but not this time. someone please help me
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    maybe ur ip address changed? thats what happened to me earlier today
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I did have an issue too. Make sure you are using the right IP address...
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I have this same problem. I don't have wifi at work and I can't get ssh access via EVDO working but how do you know if your dropbear ssh is running?

When I try this:

root@castle:/# initctl start optware-dropbear

I get this error:

(355508/288825383) optware-dropbear (start) waiting
    (355508/290961613) optware-dropbear (start) starting
    (355508/292365422) optware-dropbear (start) pre-start, process 27761
    (355508/315894475) optware-dropbear (stop) pre-start
    (355508/316230168) optware-dropbear (stop) stopping
    (355508/316962590) optware-dropbear (stop) killed
    (355508/317328801) optware-dropbear (stop) post-stop
    (355508/317572941) optware-dropbear (stop) waiting
    initctl: (355508/317756047) optware-dropbear pre-start process terminated with status 1

Also I think i may have openssh installed (by something else) how do I uninstall it?

Thanks!
    Can anyone else help out here.
    I am having the same issue when trying to access putty.
    I am using the homebrew app "what is my IP".
    I am entering that Ip, and when I enter in my password it says access is denied.

Anyone know of a solution here.
    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronB1979 View Post
    Can anyone else help out here.
    I am having the same issue when trying to access putty.
    I am using the homebrew app "what is my IP".
    I am entering that Ip, and when I enter in my password it says access is denied.

Anyone know of a solution here.
    Thank you.
    you need to be on wifi for what you're trying to do, and for me to know enough to help you since I don't do it over EVDO. Use the IP for your local network.. so for me that is 192.168.0.4. Whatismyip might show your local network IP but I doubt it.

usually port is 222

I thought I was locked out once when trying to execute some commands like sudo -i and entering the Pre's password I didn't know what happened. but as it turned out in that window I was on my Desktop terminal, lol, in Linux they look similar... lol, had to connect to the Pre instead of trying to run those commands on my local system.
    My Wifi on my Pre is enabled, and my IP for my local network is 192.168.56.1
    When I enter in that IP I get an error saying Network error. Connection refused.
    My Wifi on my Pre is enabled, and my IP for my local network is 192.168.56.1
    When I enter in that IP I get an error saying Network error. Connection refused.
    are you plugged into a charger or USB cable. either one will work.

reboot the pre?

I know it is confusing but you can start back here:
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals and use novacom over USB as a fallback.

then you would do a
    Code:
    ps aux | grep dropbear
    if you used dropbear for SSH access

and see if it shows something like this
    Code:
    root     18079  0.7  0.4   2452  1008 ?        Ss   15:39   0:00 /opt/sbin/dropbear -g -F -p 222
    that means it is at least running on the pre, although I think it won't be running if you're not logged in.. best source is the webosinternals page. sorry.
    Last edited by hmagoo; 08/29/2009 at 05:43 PM.
    I am plugged in VIA Usb on Charge Only.
    Do I need to be in Dev Mode?
    not for SSH access.
    O.k..........I appreciate all your help, but honestly I really have no idea what your last post is all about.
    When you say
    I know it is confusing but you can start back here:
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals and use novacom over USB as a fallback.
    I have no idea what that means.
    Dont know what I am supposed to do.
    O.k..........I appreciate all your help, but honestly I really have no idea what your last post is all about.
    When you say
    I have no idea what that means.
    Dont know what I am supposed to do.
    in this page
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals
    under "Procedure"

that is how you first gain access and setup the SSH ability, or did you not set it up that way?

for me the first steps for setting up the whole process were using a USB connection and an app called novacom to login over USB then you setup the ability to SSH in over wifi.
    make any sense?
    O.k. I went through steps 1-6.
    One of the last steps I remember selecting after I created my username and password was something that had 3 options.
    Wifi, USB, and maybe Wifi and USB.
    I chose step 3.

Is that what you are referring to.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    put it in dev mode to see if that makes a diff.
    put it in dev mode to see if that makes a diff.
    Nope, Still the same issue.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I don't think you can use putty through the USB connection. Your computer is not using internet protocol to talk to the Pre through the USB port. Putty doesn't have anything to connect to. It sounds like you went through the steps that set up a non privileged user and password and setup SSH on the Pre. Are you absolutely certain about your IP? I know dumb question, but that IP sounds awful lot like a router IP. In Putty, make sure SSH is selected and the port is 222. Last steps, if rebooting Pre and computer didn't work, try rebooting the router. Sometimes those get confused. Try turning off your firewall just to make sure that isn't blocking the connection.
    O.k.....So I tried to go back over these steps. Next steps - WebOS Internals
    As soon as I run the optware, I get this message.

Anyone have any thoughts on this.
    Thanks all.
    Isn't qemu86 the emulator?

Unplug your Pre and see if you're still trying to install on that system.
    Ok, so this morning i updated to 1.2.1 twice. Once was with a ~32mb file. Second time it was ~148mb (dont recal exact numbers). I was able to access my Pre via Putty last night just fine. After the update this morning i can no longer access via Putty. Its not that it is failing to connect, it is failing to recognize the user that i created and have been using forever. I get access denied. I have the terminal app installed and tried to su to my username and it sais id unknown. So it is like something with the update this morning has blown out my user.
    Alright people...I have read all your problems, and i will provide a simple solution. I had the same problem as you guys when i updated to 1.2. It took me literally the whole night to figure out a solution. Basically all you have to do is reinstall everything (optware, quilt, etc)..basically the same steps you took to root your pre....as a matter of fact, re-root your pre, and when you get to setting up optware, it will ask for a new username and password. after you have done all that, you will be able to log into putty. Now this shouldn't be hard if you already gained root access before, as you should already have an idea what you are doing.

so bottom line people, just re-root your pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast