Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    This is a request for an app like Labyrinth or some version thereof. This is the app that has ball you have to navigate on a board that is basically a teeter/totter with walls and holes.
    this game would give me nightmares when I was a kid..dont know why. maybe because I would imagine being the ball and lost in a maze.
    I don't think this is currently possible with the 4 updates per second limit on the Accelerometer. It would be a proof of concept, but not really playable. As soon as that it improved, it would work.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    Maybe if the ball moved really slow lol. This will be really fun when the time comes
    I love Labyrinth. I am sorry to hear about the 4 updates per second on the accelerometers.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    It would seem cool though =/
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    This would be great

+1
    "I don't think this is currently possible with the 4 updates per second limit on the Accelerometer."

I've been developing an accelerometer-based game, not exactly Labyrinth, but it is with a little ball that rolls around to hit goals and stuff. I think 4Hz is plenty for accelerometer input to this kind of game, you don't run the physics at 4Hz, just the acceleration changes, and the user won't be changing angles much faster than 4 times a second since they usually have to hold a position while they wait for the ball to lose momentum anyway.

Actually the main problem I'm having with this kind of input is that the phone will fall asleep if the user doesn't touch the screen every 30 seconds or so.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I got started on trying to make this type of game. I haven't done anything for the pre before, so give me a little time. I don't think the 4Hz should be that much of an issue, i haven't played with it yet so we'll see. I think the hardest thing for me will be programming the ball to go through the maze. Like knowing when there are gaps in the falls and the ball is able to pass through them.

I guess I'm trying to do baby steps at the moment.
    I created a service on webos-internals.org that allows the modification of the 4HZ refresh rate. I made an example of a ball rolling around with a slider to change to different rates (updating the display at the rate of the events, which is not necessary nor efficient, just proof of concept example).

I have been expanding this App into a labyrinth game since, and it is coming along. First release will hopefully be this weekend, but don't expect much for design/graphics initially.

Accelerometer service to dynamically change event frequency can be found:
    webos-internals . org/wiki/Application:AccelService
    Very impressive emoney, i will check out the service. And i cant wait to see how the game looks.
    I guess if you just use the updates to drive the acceleration vector, 4Hz IS doable. I would think that there are times that you want to stop quick that wouldn't respond well. Up at 8-12 Hz you are definitely good enough to not need higher for almost any games.
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    I created a service on webos-internals.org that allows the modification of the 4HZ refresh rate. I made an example of a ball rolling around with a slider to change to different rates (updating the display at the rate of the events, which is not necessary nor efficient, just proof of concept example).

I have been expanding this App into a labyrinth game since, and it is coming along. First release will hopefully be this weekend, but don't expect much for design/graphics initially.

Accelerometer service to dynamically change event frequency can be found:
    webos-internals . org/wiki/Application:AccelService

Nice job but I dont think many people will want to ssh into there pre to install the service. But good job!
    Devices: Blackberry 7130, 8130, 8330, HTC Touch Pro, Treo 600, 700wx, Pro, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Actually, it might not be necessary to ssh in to install the service. The developer of the My Tether app, has the pay version which I believe is installable as a simple ipk.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Actually, it might not be necessary to ssh in to install the service. The developer of the My Tether app, has the pay version which I believe is installable as a simple ipk.
    Installing plugins and services requires rw access which there is no way to do from a stock Pre. There is ongoing development on webos-internals for ipkgservices, that will allow apps to download and install plugins/services/apps right from the Pre.
    Any hints/tips/tricks/links for creating graphics for this type of game??
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Installation of any advanced webos-internals app (like the accelerometer service or the terminal emulator plugin) that requires files to be modified outside of /var requires commands to be run in Linux as root.

There are many ways to run those commands.

The Linux experts just ssh in and run the commands by hand.

The WebOS Quick Install app uses the novacom protocol that Palm provides in the SDK to run the commands from a cross-platform program that runs on a host to which the Pre is connected.

The MyTether application probably does the same thing (we've no way of knowing, because it's a closed source application). Scripting the commands from a host computer through the USB connection is straight-forward - Palm provides all the technology in the SDK to do it.

Whichever way the commands are run (manually through ssh, or scripted through Palm's novacom protocol), the end result is the same - there is no magic here, it's just different ways to run Linux commands on the Pre.

The WebOS Internals development team is working on ipkgservice and a companion Preware installer app which will allow users to install these more advanced webos-internals applications (like services and plugins) on the device in a secure and easy fashion. No current on-device installer application can do this. We're working with the WebOS Quick Install author so that the initial installation of the ipkgservice and Preware application will be easy for end users as well.

See Application:Preware - WebOS Internals for the design of this system. We're not starting coding until the application and the service that it uses has been through a thorough design review for usability and security, so please be patient - we're in this to get it right, not to get it first.

Rick is going to be recruiting open source developers for Preware at the Kansas City PreDevCamp, or join us in the #webos-internals IRC channel on Freenode.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    This proves that it can be done:

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/topple-ball

4 samples/s is smooth. The animation is smooth as well. I don't think it installed any services to run.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    This proves that it can be done:

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/topple-ball

4 samples/s is smooth. The animation is smooth as well. I don't think it installed any services to run.

- Craig

He does a very nice job handling the 4HZ restriction by using momentum. The 4HZ restriction is only on acceleration CHANGE, so you can't quickly change directions on a game like this with a stock Pre. But since this type of game is more dependent on subtle changes and precise control from the user, it doesn't really need anything more than 4HZ to be a very nice and fully functional game.
    Has the labyrinth game seen any further development?
    I think with the prevalence of linux access I've seen on the Pre it wouldn't be outlandish to use the AccelService with it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast