Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,
    I think I've found out something really cool -- the way you can run command(s) after installing a signed IPK, something that can replace the non-working postinstall & preinstall scripts and allow installing applications that previously required rooting.

The workfolow is quite simple:
    Instead of packaging (the signed package way, see the wiki) just your webOS application, you can also include any other file to the package. The problem is that this file (placed outside /var) is only extracted when installing directly using ipkg, not when using the palm://com.palm.appinstaller/install system call.

I've found out that you can bypass this by using '..' path when creating the tarball:
    Code:
    dev@thinkpad ~/some/folder $ ls /var/usr/palm/applications/com.app.test/
    app                    icon.png               sources.json
    appinfo.json           images                 index.html
    stylesheets             stylesheets      framework_config.json
    dev@thinkpad ~/some/folder $ ls ../../etc/init.d/
    udev [this file is placed in ~/etc/init.d/ directory]
    dev@thinkpad ~/some/folder $ tar cvPzf data.tar.gz /var/usr/palm/applications/com.app.test ../../etc/init.d/udev
    As you can see, I've included not only the standard webos application using full directory path, but also a modified udev init script (the original one gets overwritten by the package) that can run any commands I want when I reboot the system. You can use any system script or directory that is executed during the boot or periodically to run you commands.

This means that I can also mimic the post-install script (sadly, requring the user to reboot the device) or any other script dealing with data outside the /var directory.

The procedure can be for example used for enabling tethering on the phone justy by installing signed IPK on a non-rooted device! Everything is possible

NOTE: Sice I don't have the actual device, this has been only tested in emulator
    This is very interesting. I would like to see this work on the Pre.
    I was wonder if you could do something like this the other day....
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    huh? sounds awesome though i don't understand exactly how u explained it.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Soooo.....this means that rooting might not be required for ANY app from now on? Sounds fantastic! Has anybody verified this on an actual Pre yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prethorpe24 View Post
    huh? sounds awesome though i don't understand exactly how u explained it.
    I'm with him!
    So can anyone with a Pre test this out and verify that it works?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    i would gladly donate to any developer who can make this work with the My Tether app
    That be really nice. Thanks for doing this.
    If it works, will it work for settings as well -- say, extra launcher pages?
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    This is exactly what I am excited about too!!! I am also dying to get the AutoCorrect Edit app which requires rooting... ( http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ne-access.html )
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Sure. If this works on the real phone, any app that previously required rooting can be now installed without rooting.
    I'm interested in this, as well, as I don't want to mess up my phone by rooting it (whether due to user error or whatnot).
    Bunp
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Hmmmm....usually something this big has a hundred posts within the first day and makes the front page of the site. Maybe the people "in the know" have already tried this and found out it doesn't work and just haven't bothered to post about it here? If this really made rooting obsolete, I think there would be a LOT more buzz about it. Lets hope I'm wrong cause I'm still super excited about this!
    I really hope this works. I've been considering rooting my pre lately to install some apps and whatnot but have been somwhat reluctant to do so as I don't have much experience with linux (and I don't generally have access to wifi or high speed internet to download the necessary programs). If this workaround can be implemented into all the current apps and tweaks then I'd rather not root my pre.
    why hasnt anyone tried this with the root required apps yet??
    Guys rooting is not really doing much of anything anymore. You install the SDK then run a command line prompt, cut and past the command from the aurthor and you are done. You are not doing anything to hurt your Pre this way unless you start typing commands deep in.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    cut and past
    What he said. The tutorials have gotten so good that anyone can complete the tasks necessary to modify apps on their pre. Its simple copy and paste.
  19.    #19  
    Sure, but wouldn't it be better to have a bunch of packages instead of patching every file by hand? Imagine a repository with all webOS patches and tweaks available just one click/enter away...isn't that a nice vision?
    agreed doing this would be more user friendly vs having to root the pre no matter how simple it is
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast