Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximo_ View Post
    Hmmmm....usually something this big has a hundred posts within the first day and makes the front page of the site. Maybe the people "in the know" have already tried this and found out it doesn't work and just haven't bothered to post about it here?
    Maybe the people "in the know" hear the black helicopters of an emergency WebOS 1.1.1 update in the distance, and aren't going to get their hopes up like they did with e-mail package installations in 1.0.3?

If there's a glaring security hole that will let any installation package modify system files, you can bet that Palm will rush out a fix before it can be exploited. In the mean time, feel free to download my new application, ru.mafia.keylogger-1.0.ipk and give it a whirl.....
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I've been looking around for help on rooting and I honestly haven't found any tutorials that make it as easy as copy and paste with every step spelled out for somebody with no experience. Every time I try one I end up getting to a point where they gloss over a step and say something like "now just telnet into the phone" but they don't explain how to do it...

What are your guys' favorite rooting tutorials that actually make it as easy as "copy and paste" from start to finish? Thanks in advance for any help! :-)
    Last edited by Maximo_; 08/02/2009 at 12:41 PM.
    I've been looking around for help on rooting and I honestly haven't found any tutorials that make it as easy as copy and paste with every step spelled out for somebody with no experience. Every time I try one I end up getting to a point where they gloss over a step and say something like "now just telnet into the phone" but they don't explain how to do it...

What are your guys' favorite rooting tutorials that actually make it as easy as "copy and paste" from start to finish? Thanks in advance for any help! :-)
    Yes I would love to know also
    Amen to that.

www DOT webos-internals DOT org SLASH wiki SLASH Portal:Accessing_Linux

**** this stupid forum for not letting me post a link because I just signed up. Dumbest **** I've ever heard of.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcettison View Post
    **** this stupid forum for not letting me post a link because I just signed up. Dumbest **** I've ever heard of.
    I guess that you've never heard of forum spambots, eh? They are programs that register for accounts on all kinds of bulletin board systems like this one, and then make random posts (that sometimes even appear to be on-topic). These posts contain web URL links to various travel web sites, book vendors, or anything else that they are being paid to push. Their goal isn't to get you to read their ad, but to get their link into as many web sites as possible so that search engines rank their lame web sites higher due to being linked to from thousands of web sites. It's called search engine optimization, or SEOSEOSEO $for$ $short$.

Long story short, by restricting your ability to post URL links for your first 10 posts, the moderators are ensuring that you're a real person and not a spambot posting junk text with URL's. It's the cost of a spam-free forum in 2009.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Maybe the people "in the know" hear the black helicopters of an emergency WebOS 1.1.1 update in the distance, and aren't going to get their hopes up like they did with e-mail package installations in 1.0.3?

If there's a glaring security hole that will let any installation package modify system files, you can bet that Palm will rush out a fix before it can be exploited. In the mean time, feel free to download my new application, ru.mafia.keylogger-1.0.ipk and give it a whirl.....
    It is as easy as this post: Just follow those steps.
    http://forums.precentral.net/1791625-post1461.html

It says:
    =====================================
    Now that the SDK is out, it's absurdly easy to access linux.

1. Instal the SDK according to the directions from Palm.
    2. Put your phone into developer mode (from the home screen, type 'upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart', open the Developer Mode app and put the phone into developer mode. It will prompt you to restart).
    3. Connect your phone to the computer using your USB cable. Select "Charge Only" on the Pre
    4. Go to (I'm assuming you're on Windows here) Start -> Run and type 'cmd' (without the quotes) and hit enter.
    5. Once you're in the command prompt, type 'novacom -t open tty://' (again, without the quotes).
    6. You'll see a prompt root@castle:/# ←[J which means you're in! Type whatever commands you want (but be careful! very easy to hose your Pre when you're logged in as root!)

That is how you access linux (formerly called rooting the pre) on your Pre. Yes, it really is that easy.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I guess that you've never heard of forum spambots, eh? They are programs that register for accounts on all kinds of bulletin board systems like this one, and then make random posts (that sometimes even appear to be on-topic). These posts contain web URL links to various travel web sites, book vendors, or anything else that they are being paid to push. Their goal isn't to get you to read their ad, but to get their link into as many web sites as possible so that search engines rank their lame web sites higher due to being linked to from thousands of web sites. It's called search engine optimization, or SEOSEOSEO $for$ $short$.

Long story short, by restricting your ability to post URL links for your first 10 posts, the moderators are ensuring that you're a real person and not a spambot posting junk text with URL's. It's the cost of a spam-free forum in 2009.....
    That does absolutely nothing, and it's a stupid feature. What's to stop someone from making an account, posting 10 useless posts, then running the spambot? Nothing. They should get rid of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaklee3 View Post
    That does absolutely nothing, and it's a stupid feature. What's to stop someone from making an account, posting 10 useless posts, then running the spambot? Nothing. They should get rid of it.
    Because having individuals come to forums and make multiple posts prior to running a spambot is incredibly inefficient and defeats the purpose of using a spambot?
    Last edited by Bujin; 08/03/2009 at 11:29 AM.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shaklee3 View Post
    Ha, settle down. We're all friends here.
    Meanwhile, has anyone demonstrated that the proposed method works?
    Laissez Faire
    Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

Is it the hot glue method?
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Because having individuals come to forums and make multiple posts prior to running a spambot is incredibly inefficient and defeats the purpose of using a spambot?
    How is that is it any less efficient? You'd just have to run a stupid script 10x before posting. Its the same automation.
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrain View Post
    How is that is it any less efficient? You'd just have to run a stupid script 10x before posting. Its the same automation.
    This is one thread that I make sure to check every day. This could be a great breakthrough for Homebrew. Its not a thread about bots and the requirements to post links in this forum. Take it up somewhere else. Off topic posts are just as much spam as automated bots.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    This is one thread that I make sure to check every day. This could be a great breakthrough for Homebrew. Its not a thread about bots and the requirements to post links in this forum. Take it up somewhere else. Off topic posts are just as much spam as automated bots.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    +2
  18.    #38  
    Bump...really no one with a real phone willing to test this? You guys are making me buy one not-so-much-usefull-in-Europe CDMA Pre on eBay

I could create some testing package (e.g. My Flashlight or My Tether), if it helps...
  19.    #39  
    Confirmed to be working on a real Pre...but, sadly, you need to mount the root filesystem read-write first

When you don't do that, the package will be still installed but without the additional files outside of /var. You still need to use the terminal to enable this type of installation.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post

(but be careful! very easy to hose your Pre when you're logged in as root!)
    This is the line that gives many pause, and why a Filecoaster install method is sought.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast