Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    As a flight student, and even some currents pilots might find it handy.
    An app that you could enter several airports into. ie KXXX, KYYY and KZZZ.
    Then it would look it up, and give you the current METAR and TAF for those airports.

METAR Example:

SPECI KSBP 301732Z 26004KT 10SM SCT014 19/12 A2997 RMK AO2

TAF Example:

KSBP 301743Z 3018/3118 VRB03KT P6SM SKC
    FM302100 30012KT P6SM SKC
    FM310500 30009KT P6SM BKN006
    FM310800 VRB03KT 4SM BR OVC003
    FM311500 VRB03KT 6SM HZ BKN006=

So, it would give you all that info on the aiport codes you entered in.

Might be able to set favorite locations with check boxes too or something...
    Nothing too fancy...

Anyone interested?

thrilsekr
    Is there a web service that supplies this currently? I have had a biannual in quite a few years.

Edit: Found a source. I won't commit to it until I finish my others, but this is doable. Might play with DB and Web calls to develop this. I'll let you know.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 07/30/2009 at 01:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I get my info through wunderground.com.
    But it is not an FAA approved source. Which reminds me, for actual flight planning you need to use an FAA approved source. So you might want to put a disclaimer on it "for educational purposes only - not for flight planning" or something to that effect.

thrilsekr
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    You can get METAR on Google Text send a text to Google with "Metar KPHL" and it'll reply with it.

Also, Fly.faa.gov works well.
    Quote Originally Posted by thrilsekr View Post
    I get my info through wunderground.com.
    But it is not an FAA approved source. Which reminds me, for actual flight planning you need to use an FAA approved source. So you might want to put a disclaimer on it "for educational purposes only - not for flight planning" or something to that effect.
    Is ADDS approved? http://adds.aviationweather.gov
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I talked to my flight instructor...
    The only approved source is duat.com or duats.com
    The reason for this is you can file your flight planning through them, and you have proof that you checked weather in case of an incident. You also need a pilot or student licence to log in to the website.
    adds.avaitionweather.gov is what my CFI uses to file our in house flight plans.
    The educational purposes comment was meant just to help cover your ****. Who knows these days... "But my Pre app said it was sunny!" Maybe a checkbox the first time it is run saying that it understood that it is for educ. and not for actual flight planning.
    That is a good idea. When it starts up I would need to load the database with the airport codes. At this point, I could have an agreement.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Just to help show demand, I would like to say that I would be on this app like fly's on ****.
    A few things an app would give you over browser is better format. "Favorites" and station closest to current position.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Sorry for the bump. Don't have enough posts to PM.

sacherjj, are you still interested in developing this app?
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I'm *almost* finished with just this application! I've got the METARS, TAFS, PROGs, all working.

Please give me just a few more days to clean it up and I'm happy to post it.

Doug
    Good deal, ansond. I was going to get Dope Wars in a better state before starting anything else. Thanks for taking the ball and running with it.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    NP Sacherjj.

So, I have it pretty much ready for 0.0.1 release - METARS, TAFS, PIREPS, AIRMETS, SIGMETS, PROG charts are all there. Its a bit on the "basic" side but it works.

How do I publish this thing? I've got an ipk I would like to publish to the homebrew catalog. Not quite sure how to do that (sorry for being daft). Suggestions welcome.

Doug
    Send a request to Dieter for developer access and you will get into a private forum that explains things. PM me if you run into any problems.