1.    #1  
    I can get a map by entering ONLY the lat/long as the query parameters. But as soon as I try adding any other parameters my map comes up as a blank card.

As far as I can tell, all of the parameters on this page should work:

Google Map Parameters - Google Mapki

The simple example like below works fine, but I've spent hours trying to pass other parameters like q=hotels near=whatever, but it doesn't seem to work. Any advice about how to specify additional map parameters would be greatly appreciated.

var latitude = 40.6650;
    var longitude = -111.5164;

this.controller.serviceRequest('palm://com.palm.applicationManager', {
    method: 'launch',
    parameters: {
    id: "com.palm.app.maps",
    params: {
    query: latitude + "," + longitude
    }
    }
    });
  2.    #2  
    Well, I figured out one of my problems. Open these two URLs in a Web browser and you'll see the difference:

hotels - Google Maps

Google Maps

The first URL above shows pins in the map indicating the desired query location(s). That's what I'm trying to get on the Pre. The second URL is apparently a mobile version which is what the Pre maps service is giving me, and it doesn't show the pins.

I was able to get the query parameters (Google map parameters) working as in the code below. But the map service seems to ignore the "maps.google.com/?" part and force the mobile version "maps.google.com/maps/m?" so I can't get the pins.

Does anyone know how I can get the pins in the map?

var mytarget = "maps.google.com/?mrt=yp&radius=5&z=12&q=hotels&sll="+latitude+","+longitude+"&ll="+latitude+","+longitude;
    this.controller.serviceRequest('palm://com.palm.applicationManager', {
    method: 'open',
    parameters: {
    id:"com.palm.app.maps",
    params:{
    target: mytarget
    }
    }
    });