1.    #1  
    I am planning on rooting my pre so I can create a mobile wifi spot for me and a couple people going on a trip.

Is it possible to unroot my pre and bring it back to its original state 100%?
    WebOS Doctor

Palm - webOS Doctor for Palm Pre for Sprint

However, after you successfully gain access to linux, you'll probably want to keep it.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    You don't have to root it just use

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-0-7-27-a.html
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    I believe the OP is planning on using that, however... (taken from the My Tether thread)

"You need root to install this app, but after installing you shouldn't need to root or ssh in to do anything else to make this app work."
    And I think you have the wrong idea of "rooting". It's not like jailbreaking an iPhone where you end up breaking functionality, voiding warranty etc. All you're doing is accessing the underlying operating system which is fairly open already. There is no need to "unroot" your Pre or use WebOS doctor unless you actually break something and can't fix it otherwise, and as long as you follow the relatively simple instructions for installing MyTether it should work just fine for you.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjcarter View Post
    I believe the OP is planning on using that, however... (taken from the My Tether thread)

"You need root to install this app, but after installing you shouldn't need to root or ssh in to do anything else to make this app work."
    Opps i forgot about the first part.! :-)
  7.    #7  
    awesome! thank you everyone. i did have the wrong idea of rooting, i have dont similar things before but never had a "undo" method in place. now that i have the right idea i feel much better.
    Rooting is not something your do once and then you never have to do it again. Everytime you want to gain root access (the linux of the Pre) you run a script then connect with putty. After you disconnect and reboot you lose your root access. The first time you do root your Pre its more or less all about downloading Python (to run the script) and Putty (to navigate around linux). After that you just run the script and connect with Putty everytime. The only thing that you have to do that would stay after a reboot would be the Pre staying in Developer Mode. You deactivate this by typing in to konomai code then switching it off.
    So if you your want to 'unroot' your Pre. Then just turn off Dev Mode and reboot. Now it will be exactly how you had it before. Except the changes you made when rooting.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Rooting is not something your do once and then you never have to do it again. Everytime you want to gain root access (the linux of the Pre) you run a script then connect with putty. After you disconnect and reboot you lose your root access. The first time you do root your Pre its more or less all about downloading Python (to run the script) and Putty (to navigate around linux). After that you just run the script and connect with Putty everytime. The only thing that you have to do that would stay after a reboot would be the Pre staying in Developer Mode. You deactivate this by typing in to konomai code then switching it off.
    So if you your want to 'unroot' your Pre. Then just turn off Dev Mode and reboot. Now it will be exactly how you had it before. Except the changes you made when rooting.
    Unless of course he installs OpenSSH or Dropbear, then he will have root access all the time through SSH.
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

disconnect the pre from your computer..boom...its unrooted.

like many said before rooting just mean you as linux if you can be an administrator for a session (a session is the time from when you log into linux till you dissconect from it). Having administrative privleages allows you to copy and write things to parts of the OS that require specail access.

In otherwords Palm coders are uber cool and made it uber easy to gain root privilages to the pre. Simply run the novaterm program they built for you and when you are done with your session unhook you pre from computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by i700plus View Post
    Unless of course he installs OpenSSH or Dropbear, then he will have root access all the time through SSH.
    Although SSH is a whole new deal.
    - John Wayne
    How do you know if you have installed dropbear or ssh? is that a security problem once the phone is disconnected from the computer?
    No it isn't a security problem at all. SSHing is were you go over wifi to gain access to the Pre's file system. You can view them like a normal file browser this way but you can not make changes to the file system. The only thing you can do is copy the files to your computer. If you want to run commands you have to use Putty. When you install the optware feed you make a unprivileged user. You use this to SSH in to the Pre. It has a password, therefore, it is just as if not more secure than the privileged user root. Which when put in dev Mode does not have a password at all. I leave my phone on Dev Mode all the time and the last time I did turn it off was a months and a half ago. No security problem what so ever.
    - John Wayne